de Negoce offer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Chr!s G|@rn3r

Re: de Negoce offer

#9051 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

Lot 150 is still available. Somewhat surprised but there were a lot of cases. I’m still holding strong...

MJSPollock

#9052 Post by MJSPollock »

I have purchased three cases from de Negoce (80, 86, 139) after a friend turned me onto the site and am glad to have found this repository of great info. I've sampled a bottle from each of those cases and found each to be quite good, although young and in need of some cellar time or a long decant. I'm wanting to get a syrah case but wasn't sure about the recent drops for those.

Curious if anyone bought OG N.148 and or what the thoughts are on it. I'm looking to fill up my cellar with more "cellar defenders" and this one seems interesting but also not as good of a "deal" as some of the others. Anyone buy and try it?
M I c h a e l

Michael Goode
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9053 Post by Michael Goode »

I'll pop a bottle of #148 tonight and let you know what we think. Most wines nowadays I'm making my wife taste blind. I decant into our Eto Wine decanter/storage thing (which I love because we are not heavy drinkers) and hand her a glass. So far the de Negoce wines she has tasted that way have stacked up well against other wines.

MJSPollock

#9054 Post by MJSPollock »

Thanks Michael! We kind of did the same with the three we already have. She preferred the WW Merlot (86) while I liked the Napa Cab (80). Neither of us really loved the WW Cab (138) but it's one I think/hope will show much more promise with age. Even if it doesn't at the cost per bottle it's still a great buy.

I'm contemplating either a case of 148 (Sierra Foothills Cab/Syrah) or a case of the 109 (Fairplay Syrah) but neither seem like a slam dunk based on description albeit a good price point. I've never tried a Fairplay Syrah so I have no frame of reference to go from on that.
M I c h a e l

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9055 Post by Cameron Hughes »

MJSPollock wrote: March 31st, 2021, 8:26 am I have purchased three cases from de Negoce (80, 86, 139) after a friend turned me onto the site and am glad to have found this repository of great info. I've sampled a bottle from each of those cases and found each to be quite good, although young and in need of some cellar time or a long decant. I'm wanting to get a syrah case but wasn't sure about the recent drops for those.

Curious if anyone bought OG N.148 and or what the thoughts are on it. I'm looking to fill up my cellar with more "cellar defenders" and this one seems interesting but also not as good of a "deal" as some of the others. Anyone buy and try it?
gonna be hard to tell at this stage of six weeks in bottle...I haven't tasted it in a few weeks but likely pretty inverted due to bottle shock. I'll try and crack a bottle but my opinion shouldn't matter much anyhow...being a sales schlep and all that.

t3matta

#9056 Post by t3matta »

Quite tempted by the second tranche offering of No. 46 - supposedly from Robert Craig, right?

Does anyone have any experience with the first tranche? Obviously slightly higher priced now, but seems to still be a solid deal all around. Would love some insight before I pull the trigger.
T o n y

Kevin N

#9057 Post by Kevin N »

I bit on the N.35. Hadn't yet bought a Sauvignon Blanc and the reviews from drinkers seem really positive.
Nieminen

Michael Goode
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9058 Post by Michael Goode »

I forgot #148 has had only 6 weeks in the bottle. I decided not to open the bottle and just Coravinned a glass. I find Cam's notes to be pretty spot on: this has big juicy fruit without being jammy, some spice, medium to full-bodied, with big but not overwhelming tannins. My wife noted a lack of complexity. Of course how closely it will taste to this in another month I don't know. But it tasted nice to me.

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9059 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

t3matta- original price on N.46 was $240 case. Sold out pretty quick, it and 47 were priced higher and maybe better lots than previously offered AP Cabs to Cam. $288/case is worthy. Very small increase- although Cam still had his sales tax SW issue (for him- not me the consumer), now he must charge sales tax on shipping- at least here in California. So Cam did take a hit from tax man on our benefit- Hey Cam- I have bought alot of wine...throwing you a bone!! Just saying. Cheers, Tim

Chris C a r y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9060 Post by Chris C a r y »

I'm trying to understand the Tranche Two process. Correct me if I miss something, these are wines previously offered, but now at a higher case price maybe. And the Number 46, AP Cab shows 400 cases available this time. Is this same wine as previous, just new cases that weren't released prior, unsold from prior volume? I realize this doesn't matter much in my buying decision, just mainly trying to understand which wines (from ~150 total offers to date) might be circling back around in the Tranche Two process. My apologies if this already covered in this thread but its now at several thousand posts and I'm not sure how to scan for this info. Thanks in advance to anyone who has insight.

Also, while I'm at it, can someone please rehash the hack to see how many cases are remaining in any given lot offered. Thanks again.
Last edited by Chris C a r y on March 31st, 2021, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MJSPollock

#9061 Post by MJSPollock »

Cameron Hughes wrote: March 31st, 2021, 12:07 pm
MJSPollock wrote: March 31st, 2021, 8:26 am I have purchased three cases from de Negoce (80, 86, 139) after a friend turned me onto the site and am glad to have found this repository of great info. I've sampled a bottle from each of those cases and found each to be quite good, although young and in need of some cellar time or a long decant. I'm wanting to get a syrah case but wasn't sure about the recent drops for those.

gonna be hard to tell at this stage of six weeks in bottle...I haven't tasted it in a few weeks but likely pretty inverted due to bottle shock. I'll try and crack a bottle but my opinion shouldn't matter much anyhow...being a sales schlep and all that.

And I get some input from the man himself! The input from Michael Goode was sufficient enough for me to bite at this price point so Cam my order of 148 has been placed!

Now we've got new offerings to consider with 35 and 46 - which both sound fantastic. Cam - when do you expect to ship the N.35 Sauv Blanc?
M I c h a e l

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9062 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Chris C a r y wrote: March 31st, 2021, 3:33 pm I'm trying to understand the Tranche Two process. Correct me if I miss something, these are wines previously offered, but now at a higher case price maybe. And the Number 46, AP Cab shows 400 cases available this time. Is this same wine as previous, just new cases that weren't released prior, unsold from prior volume? I realize this doesn't matter much in my buying decision, just mainly trying to understand which wines (from ~150 total offers to date) might be circling back around in the Tranche Two process. My apologies if this already covered in this thread but its now at several thousand posts and I'm not sure how to scan for this info. Thanks in advance to anyone who has insight.

Also, while I'm at it, can someone please rehash the hack to see how many cases are remaining in any given lot offered. Thanks again.
These are some cases that Cameron held back from the initial release. For N.46, "400 cases available" is from the initial offer. Per the e-mail, it's another 100 cases being released in the second tranche.

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9063 Post by Bdklein »

Anybody drink a 41 and like it? I opened one (yes it was early/young) and drank it over a few nights but never came together . I'm going to let the balance rest for a few years and hope they get better .
Bruce Klein

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9064 Post by ekwartler »

Michael Goode wrote: March 31st, 2021, 2:24 pm I forgot #148 has had only 6 weeks in the bottle. I decided not to open the bottle and just Coravinned a glass. I find Cam's notes to be pretty spot on: this has big juicy fruit without being jammy, some spice, medium to full-bodied, with big but not overwhelming tannins. My wife noted a lack of complexity. Of course how closely it will taste to this in another month I don't know. But it tasted nice to me.
How did you coravin a glass? Shouldn't the TCs prevent the hole from re-sealing? They did the couple of times I tried it. It's probably my biggest complaint about DN.
E r i c

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9065 Post by Cameron Hughes »

MJSPollock wrote: March 31st, 2021, 3:42 pm
Cameron Hughes wrote: March 31st, 2021, 12:07 pm

And I get some input from the man himself! The input from Michael Goode was sufficient enough for me to bite at this price point so Cam my order of 148 has been placed!

Now we've got new offerings to consider with 35 and 46 - which both sound fantastic. Cam - when do you expect to ship the N.35 Sauv Blanc?

My guys just said they are going to start shipping the N.35 on Friday to east coast and then Monday to west coast.

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9066 Post by Cameron Hughes »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: March 31st, 2021, 4:17 pm
Chris C a r y wrote: March 31st, 2021, 3:33 pm I'm trying to understand the Tranche Two process. Correct me if I miss something, these are wines previously offered, but now at a higher case price maybe. And the Number 46, AP Cab shows 400 cases available this time. Is this same wine as previous, just new cases that weren't released prior, unsold from prior volume? I realize this doesn't matter much in my buying decision, just mainly trying to understand which wines (from ~150 total offers to date) might be circling back around in the Tranche Two process. My apologies if this already covered in this thread but its now at several thousand posts and I'm not sure how to scan for this info. Thanks in advance to anyone who has insight.

These are some cases that Cameron held back from the initial release. For N.46, "400 cases available" is from the initial offer. Per the e-mail, it's another 100 cases being released in the second tranche.
correct!

Chris C a r y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9067 Post by Chris C a r y »

Thanks Chris and Cam.

<hr!s.L

#9068 Post by <hr!s.L »

Chris C a r y wrote: March 31st, 2021, 3:33 pm
Hi Chris,
Just put a huge number of cases in your cart (e.g. 999) and then proceed to checkout. As soon as you enter checkout, the cart quantity is corrected to the actual remaining number of cases. Just remember not to actually check out at this point! [swoon.gif]

(You don't really need to worry as there are a couple more clicks / pages to cycle through before you complete your transaction.)
Hope this helps!
L @ n g l 0 i s

Chris C a r y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9069 Post by Chris C a r y »

Thanks Chris!

BTW, Do the other Chris’s realize this forum has hundreds of us? We could roll this joint if we wanted to. 😁

<hr!s.L

#9070 Post by <hr!s.L »

ekwartler wrote: March 31st, 2021, 5:21 pm How did you coravin a glass? Shouldn't the TCs prevent the hole from re-sealing? They did the couple of times I tried it. It's probably my biggest complaint about DN.
IRCC it was discussed quite a while back, but Cam uses different corks for different releases. (Which type seems to be based on their availability and, I am assuming from Cam's recent comments about the O2 diffusion rates, the projected longevity of any given wine.)

Certain releases have had micro-agglomerated corks, and I believe those can be safely Coravin'ed. I just Coravin'ed a glass of N.80 tonight as I was curious to see how it's doing. (Used the Coravin aerator and the wine showed quite well after an 45-60 minutes in the glass.) The cork resealed perfectly with no drips.

I've tried it on the releases that have a Nomacorc and, similar to your experience, they don't reseal and do continue to leak wine / gas. Someone suggesting plugging the hole with a toothpick which I tried but it kept dripping when plugged with only normal hand-applied force. Next time I want to Coravin a Nomacorc I plan to try lightly hammering in the toothpick plug to see it forms a tighter seal. (I will cut the toothpick in half to make it a little easier - sorry for the TMI of my mundane future Coravin plans!)
L @ n g l 0 i s

B Bauer

#9071 Post by B Bauer »

Has anyone opened & tasted any of the following: OG N64 Cab Sauv / OG N74 Syrah / OG N87 Petit Verdot / OG N101 Cab Franc (mine has not arrived yet) / OG N 106 Tempranillo / OG N118 Malbec / OG N123 Merlot (I understand that this has gained significant positive notes) / OG N145 Cab Sauv ?

I would appreciate any reactions to the listed wines. Thanks.
B o r i s

Marc Bonfante

#9072 Post by Marc Bonfante »

B Bauer wrote: April 1st, 2021, 4:57 am Has anyone opened & tasted any of the following: OG N64 Cab Sauv / OG N74 Syrah / OG N87 Petit Verdot / OG N101 Cab Franc (mine has not arrived yet) / OG N 106 Tempranillo / OG N118 Malbec / OG N123 Merlot (I understand that this has gained significant positive notes) / OG N145 Cab Sauv ?

Of the above listed i bought the OG 123 Merlot and it is really punching above its weight class. It's drinking very nicely now and i would recommend this to anyone. For $10/bottle you can/should pop this on a daily basis, no need to wait and cellar like most of the cabernet wines. I would really like to know if De Negoce has any other offers from the same producer, i would certainly buy a case based on OG 123. Very well done.

Mark Morrissette
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#9073 Post by Mark Morrissette »

For the newer folks, there is a seperate thread called "What de Negoce wine are you drinking tonight" where many people have posted tasting notes.

Notes certainly get posted here as well, but if your are looking for feedback on a specific wine, that is pretty good place to go.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=173666

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#9074 Post by Pat P »

Marc Bonfante wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:21 am
B Bauer wrote: April 1st, 2021, 4:57 am Has anyone opened & tasted any of the following: OG N64 Cab Sauv / OG N74 Syrah / OG N87 Petit Verdot / OG N101 Cab Franc (mine has not arrived yet) / OG N 106 Tempranillo / OG N118 Malbec / OG N123 Merlot (I understand that this has gained significant positive notes) / OG N145 Cab Sauv ?

Of the above listed i bought the OG 123 Merlot and it is really punching above its weight class. It's drinking very nicely now and i would recommend this to anyone. For $10/bottle you can/should pop this on a daily basis, no need to wait and cellar like most of the cabernet wines. I would really like to know if De Negoce has any other offers from the same producer, i would certainly buy a case based on OG 123. Very well done.
123 being a '17 also helps with it's drinkability.
P 1 5 @ N 0

B Bauer

#9075 Post by B Bauer »

Thank you for the 'wine tasting' reaction thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=173666
B o r i s

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9076 Post by Toby P »

CellarTracker has notes for a lot of the DN wines as well. Can look up individually, or this link just has all the DN notes:

https://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp? ... 2865889d2c
P r a t t

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9077 Post by MatthewT »

#151 sounds awesome. If I wasn't on a strict NOPE I'd be all over this.
I'm a Turk

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9078 Post by ekwartler »

We opened our first #17 last week and were very unhappy with the results. Tried it over the course of three days and it was never drinkable. May have to buy this one to replace it as my planned go-to cellar defender red while 17 sits...must stay strong...
E r i c

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9079 Post by Cameron Hughes »

MatthewT wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:08 am #151 sounds awesome. If I wasn't on a strict NOPE I'd be all over this.
I guess I'll bump somebody else up onto the VIP list [stirthepothal.gif] neener

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9080 Post by Cameron Hughes »

ekwartler wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:13 am We opened our first #17 last week and were very unhappy with the results. Tried it over the course of three days and it was never drinkable. May have to buy this one to replace it as my planned go-to cellar defender red while 17 sits...must stay strong...
stay strong amigo...that wine in a weird place right now...the more tannic/structured wines we bottled over the summer (N.46 Atlas peak for example) are mostly coming around but that wine has gone back inside for a bit.

L Harris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9081 Post by L Harris »

I'm in for this one - don't have room to store a bunch more for several years, so Cam had me at 'come around relatively quickly'!
L u k e

C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9082 Post by C. Heinsen »

Any guesses as to the source?
C h r i s

J. Patrick Lynch

#9083 Post by J. Patrick Lynch »

L Harris wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:29 am I'm in for this one - don't have room to store a bunch more for several years, so Cam had me at 'come around relatively quickly'!
Cam had me at the absolute last sentence!
J @ c k

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9084 Post by MatthewT »

Cameron Hughes wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:16 am
MatthewT wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:08 am #151 sounds awesome. If I wasn't on a strict NOPE I'd be all over this.
lololol. if you only knew how many 1000s of cases i've sold for you here and on twitter...i should basically be made a partner
I'm a Turk

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9085 Post by ekwartler »

J. Patrick Lynch wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:36 am
L Harris wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:29 am I'm in for this one - don't have room to store a bunch more for several years, so Cam had me at 'come around relatively quickly'!
Cam had me at the absolute last sentence!
Yeah, I couldn't stay strong. That last sentence got me too.
E r i c

Chr!s G|@rn3r

#9086 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

I bought. If it wasn’t shipping next week I likely would have passed.

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9087 Post by Cameron Hughes »

MatthewT wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:43 am
Cameron Hughes wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:16 am
lololol. if you only knew how many 1000s of cases i've sold for you here and on twitter...i should basically be made a partner
[thankyou.gif]

L Harris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9088 Post by L Harris »

Hey Cam - since you're lurking... neener

Really appreciated your post awhile back about the current state of a variety of the Cabs. Would love your thoughts on which wines (not just Cabs) are drinking particularly well right now that you have tried recently. Literally a list of numbers would be fine if you don't have tasting notes - with appropriate provisos that while drinking well now they might drink even better later!

Thanks!
L u k e

L Harris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9089 Post by L Harris »

Mark Morrissette wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:45 am For the newer folks, there is a seperate thread called "What de Negoce wine are you drinking tonight" where many people have posted tasting notes.

Notes certainly get posted here as well, but if your are looking for feedback on a specific wine, that is pretty good place to go.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=173666
Was going to post the same but you beat me to it! Also for those a bit newer to the thread, one Berserker (shout out to Laura!) set up a website that houses some great information and some summaries of best guesses as to source of the wines: https://denegociants.com/

Feel free to join in and keep it going and up to date with new wines and guesses. Some of us old guard have slowed down the buying a little bit and so too the sleuthing!
L u k e

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9090 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Just decanted a OG N.20 for tonight. It's as dark as a Petite Sirah. Any tasting update on this lot Cam? Thank You. - I'm on your VIP list...!

Cheers, Tim

Henry Ip

#9091 Post by Henry Ip »

In on a case of 151

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9092 Post by Cameron Hughes »

Timothy B a l l a r d wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:20 am Just decanted a OG N.20 for tonight. It's as dark as a Petite Sirah. Any tasting update on this lot Cam? Thank You. - I'm on your VIP list...!

Cheers, Tim
HI Tim - I'm sorry, I haven't tasted that recently. Given that the N.17 is a bit sideways right now and its from the same producer, I suspect this wine will be pretty concave like a black hole at this point. Curious to get your thoughts!

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9093 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Cam- the smell from decanter was huge cassis. Will split it between tonight and tomorrow to see where it goes.

<hr!s.L

#9094 Post by <hr!s.L »

I thought I was on a dN break, but here I am, right back in the game - NOPE-ing the nope. In for 151.
MatthewT wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:43 am lololol. if you only knew how many 1000s of cases i've sold for you here and on twitter...i should basically be made a partner
Count me as another unpaid intern cheerleading for dN - what can I say, when you discover something you love, you want to share it. I've soft-pitched so many friends and family on this venture, my friends joke that I'm the west coast rep for the business, which I take as a cue that I've said enough / too much. It really isn't for everyone. And still, I've helped sell around two dozen cases for Cameron out of sheer enthusiasm / appreciation for what he provides. I've also sold several of them on getting a decanter to help enjoy the ride more fully. From the feedback I've gathered, everyone has been happy so far.
L @ n g l 0 i s

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9095 Post by Cameron Hughes »

<hr!s.L wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:14 am
I thought I was on a dN break, but here I am, right back in the game - NOPE-ing the nope. In for 151.
MatthewT wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:43 am lololol. if you only knew how many 1000s of cases i've sold for you here and on twitter...i should basically be made a partner
Count me as another unpaid intern cheerleading for dN - what can I say, when you discover something you love, you want to share it. I've soft-pitched so many friends and family on this venture, my friends joke that I'm the west coast rep for the business, which I take as a cue that I've said enough / too much. It really isn't for everyone. And still, I've helped sell around two dozen cases for Cameron out of sheer enthusiasm / appreciation for what he provides. I've also sold several of them on getting a decanter to help enjoy the ride more fully. From the feedback I've gathered, everyone has been happy so far.
man, I believe it. Everyday the list grows by 30-50 people. Thank you!

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9096 Post by Eric White »

my coworker hates me, he's purchased 10s of cases now (he made the mistake of telling me he needed some wine recommendations since he was running low - he's running low no more!)

<hr!s.L

#9097 Post by <hr!s.L »

Seriously, thank you, Cameron. It's been a lot of fun and the wine has been delightful [cheers.gif]

(First pass, I accidentally typed "It's been a lot wine and the fun has been delightful", which surprisingly works just as well)
L @ n g l 0 i s

<hr!s.L

#9098 Post by <hr!s.L »

Marc Bonfante wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:21 am I would really like to know if De Negoce has any other offers from the same producer, i would certainly buy a case based on OG 123. Very well done.
This has been discussed previously, but there is decent evidence that releases 76, 80, 123, and 138 are all from the same producer. (Cameron identified 80 and 138 as being from the same source.)

viewtopic.php?p=3213864#p3213864
L @ n g l 0 i s

J. Patrick Lynch

#9099 Post by J. Patrick Lynch »

Timothy B a l l a r d wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:20 am Just decanted a OG N.20 for tonight. It's as dark as a Petite Sirah. Any tasting update on this lot Cam? Thank You. - I'm on your VIP list...!

Cheers, Tim
I had this a few weeks back and thought it was drinking fine. I doubt you'll find it backwards, but I can't say if it's really hitting its stride. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, it was one of 6 dN's we opened: 17/20/21/22/28/64. I remember thinking 68 wasn't quite ready despite the high praise of Simply Better Wine's blind tasting. He was right about it being rustic though.
J @ c k

t3matta

#9100 Post by t3matta »

In for a case of the 151, as well. Also curious as to any sourcing guesses..
T o n y

Return to “Wine Talk”