de Negoce offer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
rsmithjr

Re: de Negoce offer

#8501 Post by rsmithjr »

Amy R wrote: February 12th, 2021, 4:59 pm I grabbed a case as well, my 9th. I think. I'm losing track...

This may have been covered in a previous post, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if CH buys the finished juice out of the barrel and puts it straight into the bottle? Or does he buy the juice and make some finishing touches before bottling it? Or does he buy it already bottled but not labeled? Inquiring minds want to know...
Amy: I went to the De-Negoce website and plugged in the term "shiner" and got ONE result. A Viognier. Most of his reds fall into 2 categories: A. The same as the winery's blend and : B. Winery's components with some "slight " additions. In some cases he blends in outside components.

He explains all this with each of his offers. Some explanations are better than others.

Shiner means bottled but not labelled by the winery. He often had shiners at Cameron Hughes Wines which he was forced to sell in 2017.
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

M Nichols

#8502 Post by M Nichols »

I think SB would make a suitable cooking / spritzer / "one glass of white". I didn't get a case, and will look for something suitable in the store when it launches unless someone in the SF Bay Area picked up a case and wants to split it.
M . N i c h o l s

Joseph O

#8503 Post by Joseph O »

Looks like a nationwide warmup is on tap for next week. For those of us on the east coast I assume that means shipping notifications at long last.
Joseph O

Kevin N

#8504 Post by Kevin N »

This muscular-yet-elegant Cabernet hails from the western hills of Sonoma Valley in the foothill alluvial's draining down off of the southern foot of Sonoma Mountain. The winemaker (and consulting winemaker for a variety of high-end Sonoma Valley wineries) told me he's too busy with his other clients to spend anytime selling his own wines so he's getting out of the game. $50/bottle Sonoma Valley Cabernet Sauvignon doesn't sell itself you know.

This southern part of Sonoma Valley is relatively cool and, despite the 14.9% alc., this is an intriguing, unique cool-climate style. I know the November 2020 bottling seems early for a Cabernet but we felt the wine was ready (the 2019's are fabulous by the way).

Farmed at just one-cluster per shoot (yielding under two tons per acre), fermented in open-top redwood vats, and aged in 50% new French oak, its a steal at $11/bottle, $132/case.

https://www.denegoce.com/products/og-n- ... Y29tIn0%3D
Nieminen

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8505 Post by Mike R »

Joseph O wrote: February 16th, 2021, 12:03 pm Looks like a nationwide warmup is on tap for next week. For those of us on the east coast I assume that means shipping notifications at long last.
Very bittersweet. No idea what I'm gonna do when 10+ cases show up at my door.
... 0 p 3 r

Kevin B

#8506 Post by Kevin B »

I don't know what my wife is going to do if they all show up at once.
Beswick

Joseph O

#8507 Post by Joseph O »

Mike R wrote: February 16th, 2021, 1:06 pm
Joseph O wrote: February 16th, 2021, 12:03 pm Looks like a nationwide warmup is on tap for next week. For those of us on the east coast I assume that means shipping notifications at long last.
Very bittersweet. No idea what I'm gonna do when 10+ cases show up at my door.
Lol, me either. I’ve got 7 cases coming and not enough rack space. Guess I’ll just have to drink them faster than the corks can go dry.
Joseph O

Michael Goode
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8508 Post by Michael Goode »

OG N.129 2018 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

https://www.denegoce.com/products/og-n- ... ottle-case

One of the last wines I bought before the fires, this archetypal Napa Valley Cabernet is sourced from a mix of estate and purchased fruit sourced from St. Helena, Chiles Valley, and Calistoga with just a smidge of Rutherford Cabernet. We upgraded the base Cabernet (which sells for $75/bottle out of the tasting room) with 20% of the same producers $100+ Reserve Cabernet. Priced today at $13/bottle, $156/case this lithe, sexy, full frontal Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is an incredible offer.

Deep ruby in the glass. Ripe and concentrated with cherry and black raspberry with notes of chaparral and cardamom, tobacco leaf, graphite and toasty french oak. Blackberry and bay leaf lurk under the surface, coming up after about an hour of air. Supple yet robust fruit is beautifully welded to velvety tannins giving the wine a perfectly balanced structure that will drink well in its youth and age nicely too. The mid-palate delivers pretty raspberry puree underpinned with blackberry fruit and chocolatey oak notes. The wine is chewy and lip-smacking throughout the long finish.

Bottled in late January, this Cabernet is still shocky; however, it should come around relatively quickly (May/June) as its made in a right-up-the-middle, classic style that is approachable now but will age nicely over the next decade.

100% Cabernet Sauvignon
55% St. Helena, 25% Chiles Valley, 18% Calistoga, 2% Rutherford AVA
50% new French oak, 22 months in barrel
14.7% alc.
600 cases available
Bottled January 27th, 2021

*SHIPS EARLY MARCH WEATHER PERMITTING - currently, shipments east of Rockies on hold due to polar vortex. We are hoping things warm up next week but that remains to be seen.

Kevin N

#8509 Post by Kevin N »

I had held strong for 3+ weeks without another buy, but this one seemed like a good one to have over the next decade.
Nieminen

Marc Bonfante

#8510 Post by Marc Bonfante »

Michael Goode wrote: February 17th, 2021, 10:51 am OG N.129 2018 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

One of the last wines I bought before the fires, this archetypal Napa Valley Cabernet is sourced from a mix of estate and purchased fruit sourced from St. Helena, Chiles Valley, and Calistoga with just a smidge of Rutherford Cabernet. We upgraded the base Cabernet (which sells for $75/bottle out of the tasting room) with 20% of the same producers $100+ Reserve Cabernet. Priced today at $13/bottle, $156/case this lithe, sexy, full frontal Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is an incredible offer.

Deep ruby in the glass. Ripe and concentrated with cherry and black raspberry with notes of chaparral and cardamom, tobacco leaf, graphite and toasty french oak. Blackberry and bay leaf lurk under the surface, coming up after about an hour of air. Supple yet robust fruit is beautifully welded to velvety tannins giving the wine a perfectly balanced structure that will drink well in its youth and age nicely too. The mid-palate delivers pretty raspberry puree underpinned with blackberry fruit and chocolatey oak notes. The wine is chewy and lip-smacking throughout the long finish.

Bottled in late January, this Cabernet is still shocky; however, it should come around relatively quickly (May/June) as its made in a right-up-the-middle, classic style that is approachable now but will age nicely over the next decade.

100% Cabernet Sauvignon
14.7% alc.
600 cases available

*SHIPS EARLY MARCH WEATHER PERMITTING - currently, shipments east of Rockies on hold due to polar vortex. We are hoping things warm up next week but that remains to be seen.
Any guesses on what this could be?

Marc Bonfante

#8511 Post by Marc Bonfante »

Marc Bonfante wrote: February 17th, 2021, 11:31 am
Michael Goode wrote: February 17th, 2021, 10:51 am OG N.129 2018 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

100% Cabernet Sauvignon
14.7% alc.
600 cases available

Any guesses on what this could be?
I am running out of cellar space but still get struck with severe FOMO every time i get a text/email from De Negoce...

Kevin N

#8512 Post by Kevin N »

Brown Estate has some Chiles Valley vineyards and their regular Cab is $75 and their reserve is $125 it appears. Best guess thus far with a little bit of searching.

https://www.brownestate.com/wines
Nieminen

<hr!s.L

#8513 Post by <hr!s.L »

Might be Conn Creek Anthology
https://www.conncreek.com/cck/wine-shop ... 37152109.c

Pricing for the last three years:
2015 - $90
2016 - $85
2017 - $80
2018 - ? (maybe $75)

Winemaker's description of Anthology Napa Cabernet Sauvignon
We source fruit from a collection of Napa Valley's finest vineyards and diverse AVA's known for growing Cabernet Sauvignon.

2015 includes lots from:
Atlas Peak, Calistoga, Rutherford, Mt. Veeder, Oak Knoll, Oakville, Diamond Mountain, Stags Leap, Yountville, Chiles Valley, St. Helena

2016 includes lots from:
Oakville, Atlas Peak, Stag's Leap, Rutherford, Diamond Mountain, Chiles Valley

Varietal composition and oak treatment varies each vintage

Blend: Cabernet Sauvignon 93%, Cabernet Franc 3%, Merlot 3%, Petit Verdot 1%
Aging: 17 Months, 45% New French and American oak

Blend: 97% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Petit Verdot
Aging: 19 months of barrel aging took place in 65% new French oak.

Blend: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Aging: The wine was aged for 19 months in 100% new French oak barrels

Tasting notes for the 2017 -
Aromatics open with dark inky layers of blackberry, dark cherry, bramble spice with a touch of sweet tobacco. Broad, rich layers extend through the palate and linger on the finish.

It's pretty general but there's some overlap with Cam's notes. Conn Creek's AVA series are all $100+. Hard to say if this is match...

Looks like Cam just reloaded another ~50 or so cases; currently 91 left.
L @ n g l 0 i s

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8514 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

I’m guessing if Cam blended 20% of this producers reserve into this bottling then the reserve is coming next...

tpetty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8515 Post by tpetty »

thanks Chris! I was trying to hold out on ordering this - and you helped!
T o d d P

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8516 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

tpetty wrote: February 17th, 2021, 6:12 pm thanks Chris! I was trying to hold out on ordering this - and you helped!
I’m trying to convince myself not to order...so far so good on this offer.

I do think the reserve offer is coming and I won’t be as strong then.

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8517 Post by ekwartler »

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote: February 17th, 2021, 6:29 pm
tpetty wrote: February 17th, 2021, 6:12 pm thanks Chris! I was trying to hold out on ordering this - and you helped!
I’m trying to convince myself not to order...so far so good on this offer.

I do think the reserve offer is coming and I won’t be as strong then.
Yeah, I'm proud that I didn't bite on this. I said I wasn't going to buy again until the store goes live. But if the reserve offer does come...
E r i c

JBucholz

#8518 Post by JBucholz »

600 cases... 20% reserve. That means 480 cases of regular plus 120 cases of reserve. He may have already used up all of the available reserve in this bottling.
J 1 M

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8519 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

JBucholz wrote: February 18th, 2021, 7:32 am 600 cases... 20% reserve. That means 480 cases of regular plus 120 cases of reserve. He may have already used up all of the available reserve in this bottling.
I hope so. I don’t need any more wine!

Michael Goode
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8520 Post by Michael Goode »

Two new releases! Small quantities.

OG N.140 2018 Rocks District of Milton-Freewater Syrah 12-bottle case
Price$168.00

*SHOULD SHIP EARLY MARCH WEATHER PERMITTING

From an organically-farmed, Grand Cru vineyard in the Rocks district, this powerful, elegant and alluring Syrah comes from one of the Districts benchmark producers. Meaty and peppery with lovely floral lift and elegantly rendered fruit, this tightly-coiled, well-chiseled beauty is a defining style for the region. Priced around the $60/bottle out of the winery, its well priced at $14/bottle, $168/case. Bottled 12/17, it should be in a significantly more artistic state come late Spring.

Medium-to-deep purple in the glass. Meaty lavender and smoky mineral dominate the brooding nose with raspberry and black cherry lurking below the surface due to bottle shock (but that will come back up, of course). Tightly wound but seamless across the palate showing tremendous finesse and elegance with delicately nuanced, if tightly wound, fruit. There is little to no new oak here so the savory fruit is very pure and, once the wine gets through shock, will be quite expressive and pretty. Definitely a Syrah purists dream.

100% Syrah, 100% The Rocks District of Milton-Freewater
Aged in large format, neutral oak for 22 months
14.9% alc. (though it feels like a lot less)
200 cases available
Bottled December 17th, 2020

OG N.152 2018 Russian River Chardonnay 12-bottle case

*SHOULD SHIP EARLY MARCH WEATHER PERMITTING

This is a fantastic small-lot Russian River Chardonnay that I purchased in shiner (a shiner is a bottle of wine with no label and a non-branded cork...in this case, closed with what is known in the industry as a 1+1 cork). Bottled Spring of 2020, its drinking beautifully now. $50/bottle out of the tasting room, only $15/bottle today.

Medium straw in the glass. Gorgeous and fully expressive nose of warm butter, dried pineapple, baked apple and powdery honeysuckle blossom. Meyer-lemon custard and white lilies come up with air. Succulent and soft yet juicy on the palate with harmonious fruit and mineral integration that presents waves of baked apple spice, ginger and honey in a long, lush, beautifully-balanced finish. Like I said, gorgeous. Drink at cellar temp 55 degrees (pull out of the fridge 20 minutes before you open) to fully enjoy this wine.

100% Chardonnay from three RRV sites
40% new French oak
14.3% alc.
175 cases available
Bottled March 2020

M Nichols

#8521 Post by M Nichols »

Any ideas on who produces the Syrah?
M . N i c h o l s

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8522 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

M Nichols- previously, it was believed that Cougar Crest is possible for these Syrahs- lot 74 and one other "Reserve" which was from Milton Freewater AVA (newly named AVA by the way). I've tried the 74- it was $9/ and blew my expectations way out the water. If this is only $5 more per bottle and you love Syrah- grab it NOW. Cheers,Tim

Jeff O
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8523 Post by Jeff O »

Agreed - N.74 is absolutely fantastic (the best $9 I've spent on wine in a long time). However, keep in mind that N.140 could be from a different source. The other ones (N.74/75/99) used Rocks fruit but were bottled in Washington, hence the "Walla Walla Valley" labels. This one (N.140) uses the "Rocks District of Milton Freewater" label, so presumably was produced entirely in Oregon (plus the COLA registration is tagged to Oregon versus Washington for the others). Whatever the case, I love the syrahs from this region. I'm in!
0 w 3 n $

terrance.c

#8524 Post by terrance.c »

Zerba's 2017 Syrah was 14.9% and $60. I believe they would be bottled out of Milton Freewater as well. Don't know anything about their aging process, normal quantity or what would have been different in 2018 though.
-Terrance Creighton

Amy R

#8525 Post by Amy R »

Any ideas about the chard? My only thought was Kosta Browne but it's $70...

I thought the Syrah might be the K Rockgarden. The details on the 2017 fit.
Amy Roberts

M Nichols

#8526 Post by M Nichols »

I did a bit of hunting and saw Zerba and Rockgarden as candidates based simply on region and price.

Zerba (17): https://shop.zerbacellars.com/product/S ... maxRows=10&
K Rockgarden (17): https://shop.houseofsmith.com/shopping_ ... rden-syrah

I bit. Will look for someone in the SF Bay Area to split the case with. [cheers.gif]
M . N i c h o l s

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8527 Post by Toby P »

K Rockgarden looks like best bet of those 2 - Rockgarden vineyard is organic, checks the box for "benchmark producer", and I saw a reference from a previous vintage review to neutral barrels. The tasting notes also align pretty well - lots of references to meaty and floral. The Zerba website notes imply something much darker (black vs medium to deep purple in Cam's description). This one is tempting!
P r a t t

C Wagner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8528 Post by C Wagner »

I had withstood offer after offer over the past 4 months and held tough. The Rocks Syrah today called my name loud and clear.

I have no idea who the producer could be and am anxious to hear what everyone thinks. As Jeff pointed out this must be a producer with a facility in OR due to the labeling, right? The only ones I know of with facilities on the OR side are Cayuse and Rotie. I’m sure there are others (never heard of Zerba).

Can’t be K Vintners as their facility is in WA, right?
Chris

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8529 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

If anybody is interested- nice article by Karen MacNeil on The Rocks...

https://winespeed.com/blog/2017/12/syrah-unleashed/

Billq

#8530 Post by Billq »

M Nichols wrote: February 18th, 2021, 4:12 pm I did a bit of hunting and saw Zerba and Rockgarden as candidates based simply on region and price.

Zerba (17): https://shop.zerbacellars.com/product/S ... maxRows=10&
K Rockgarden (17): https://shop.houseofsmith.com/shopping_ ... rden-syrah

I bit. Will look for someone in the SF Bay Area to split the case with. [cheers.gif]
that's tempting, just pm'd you
Q u e e n

Jeff_D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8531 Post by Jeff_D »

Is Zerba’s Winesap vineyard organic? When I saw this, for some reason Rockgarden popped into my head because I have wines from there. And I think Buty recently sold the vineyard to the Walls. Also it seems that other new vineyards have been planted. But not sure of anything these days.
————-
1L1B3RTO

Joseph O

#8532 Post by Joseph O »

From the Joe Wagner lawsuit:
“Oregon and federal labeling rules state that a wine must be produced in Oregon in order for it to display one of Oregon's viticultural areas on the label. Wines produced in neighboring states may only use the broader Oregon designation.”

So it must unequivocally be produced in Oregon AND the grapes must come from The Rocks District of Milton Freewater AVA.

That doesn’t leave many choices that also match on price except Zerba.
Joseph O

b. c@stner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8533 Post by b. c@stner »

The 152 offer is for 2018, but the bottle shot is clearly 2019... fwiw
b 0 b

J. Patrick Lynch

#8534 Post by J. Patrick Lynch »

Anyone else notice that dN changed the labeling from N.XX to Lot XX with the Chardonnay? Curious.
J @ c k

G. D y e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8535 Post by G. D y e r »

Interesting, the Rocks Syrah is a slow mover and still available. 22 months in neutral oak is a nice departure from the higher oak Walla Walla releases. Very tempted to grab this one.
Greg

In that way, he is like cornerback Darrelle Revis, deserving of his own island, Mangold Island, if you will. “That would be a rusty, filthy island where people wear ripped jeans and stay in hotel rooms that are half price,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “But they would serve wine, and only the finest for Nick Mangold.”

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8536 Post by Toby P »

Yeah the #117 Sonoma Cab has also barely budged, still 200 left. Kinda strange for a "$50 for $11" cab offering with only 300 cases available...wonder if the fact that it's a 2019 + the commentary around early bottling turned people off. Anyone have any thoughts or guesses on it? Seems like it could be guessable based on the description
P r a t t

Hank Victor

#8537 Post by Hank Victor »

Bought my first case in months.. happy to grab the Rocks Syrah. Looking forward to it.
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8538 Post by timmy roos »

Lake county sauv blanc sold out quick
Things are getting funny these day

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8539 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Greg-
"Interesting, the Rocks Syrah is a slow mover and still available. 22 months in neutral oak is a nice departure from the higher oak Walla Walla releases. Very tempted to grab this one."

As my friends in the wine industry joke: "What's the difference between Gonorrhea and Syrah?" Answer- You can get rid of Gonorrhea.

As I see it, more high quality Syrahs available (at a lower price) for lovers of Syrah. Cheers.

Jonah P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8540 Post by Jonah P »

The Rocks Syrah offering is way up there on the FOMO scale for me. Our TX freeze definitely highlighted the "crap I have too much wine" issue, (Yes, I realize that worrying about wine during a winter apocalypse doesn't merit sympathy, and yes I did spend the whole storm in the tropics while my friends suffered, but this is a safe space and I'm never going to hold public office.) but this certainly seemed like a have to have. Glad I had so long to pull the trigger.
J o n a h P e t c h e s k y

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8541 Post by Pat P »

Michael Goode wrote: February 14th, 2021, 12:03 pm OG N.134 2020 Lake County Sauvignon Blanc 12-bottle case
Price$96.00

*BOTTLES FEB 17 AND SHOULD SHIP EARLY MARCH

Exotic and sexy, this beautiful Lake County Sauvignon Blanc is sourced from a Napa Valley Winery where it sells for just under $30 out of the tasting room. Not a lot of folks can sell Lake County SB for over $20 so I think you'll be suitably impressed at $8/bottle, $96/case. Trust me, this is fantastic SB and should be drinking nicely come April for Spring/Summer poolside (of course, this wine was picked well before the fires and has no smoke taint).

Very light in color with a pretty green tinge. Explosive on the nose, rich with mineral-laden blossom. lychee and pear. Soft and fleshy on entry with zesty citrus notes and flinty acidity echoing in a long, pure finish. Delicious.

100% Sauvignon Blanc
Partial barrel-ferment, the rest done in stainless steel.
14.4% alc.
500 cases available
Bottling February 17th, 2021
timmy roos wrote: February 20th, 2021, 8:24 am Lake county sauv blanc sold out quick
Anyone have any thoughts on this one? I got this and the Merlot OG 123.
P 1 5 @ N 0

J Vannes

#8542 Post by J Vannes »

On the East Coast. Just got a shipping notice. now i can see what all the fuss is about with these triple-digit releases!
Of all the Jeffs you know, I'm the Jeffest.

Kevin B

#8543 Post by Kevin B »

Just got shipping notices for 87, 94, and 96. Should be here (Atlanta area), Friday. I'll be splitting some, and still won't have room.
Beswick

G. Singh

#8544 Post by G. Singh »

Going to try for the first time. Anyone in the SF Bay area (mid-peninsula preferably) that I can split a case with please?
G u r k i r p a l

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8545 Post by Mike R »

East coast. Got shipping notices for 77 and 82. The floodgates are about to open.
... 0 p 3 r

Joseph O

#8546 Post by Joseph O »

Mike R wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 7:02 am East coast. Got shipping notices for 77 and 82. The floodgates are about to open.
Me too. Notices for 74, 82, and 88.

Was there ever a consensus on the source for 88?
Joseph O

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8547 Post by Eric White »

Guessing that VIP email got sent a bit prematurely? Link doesn't work, and it doesn't come up on search...

J. Patrick Lynch

#8548 Post by J. Patrick Lynch »

Eric White wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 10:47 am Guessing that VIP email got sent a bit prematurely? Link doesn't work, and it doesn't come up on search...
Yup. I'm guessing it was tailored so that only those with that link would be able to enter.
J @ c k

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8549 Post by Mike R »

Man, I consistently am surprised when I don't get these VIP emails, I have 26 cases now. What was the offer?
... 0 p 3 r

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8550 Post by MatthewT »

Mike R wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 10:57 am Man, I consistently am surprised when I don't get these VIP emails, I have 26 cases now. What was the offer?
175 for 25 - no real details besides that cause the link doesn't work. "reserve"
I'm a Turk

Return to “Wine Talk”