de Negoce offer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Kevin B

Re: de Negoce offer

#8451 Post by Kevin B »

I think I will likely hold off until the store opens. Some of these new offers look good, but at this point I think I'd like a mixed case better.
Beswick

Jonah P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8452 Post by Jonah P »

It will be interesting to see how the "store" pricing compares to the futures pricing. Now that I've tried the wine and I'm happy, I don't really care, but you would think at least a 25% discount would be in order to buy full cases of an unknown brand on futures vs. individual bottles for immediate delivery with tasting notes available.
J o n a h P e t c h e s k y

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8453 Post by Rodrigo B »

Jonah P wrote: February 11th, 2021, 9:36 am It will be interesting to see how the "store" pricing compares to the futures pricing. Now that I've tried the wine and I'm happy, I don't really care, but you would think at least a 25% discount would be in order to buy full cases of an unknown brand on futures vs. individual bottles for immediate delivery with tasting notes available.
I’d be curious to know if people are going to be able to buy individual bottles in the "store", or whether it’s still going to be case quantities
B r @ g @

Eric Z.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8454 Post by Eric Z. »

I recall reading somewhere that he was holding back X% from each release to put together for an online store where you can buy "by the bottle" and "mix and match" - maybe you'll need to get 6 or 12 bottles for shipment but at least can mix and match. I also believe the idea was to mark up these bottles too so they would not be at the same price point of buying in quantity in advance.

My thoughts - capital - he wanted to raise money and get cash flow going vs buying 1,000's of cases to stick in a warehouse and sell "by the bottle". selling the cases in advance moved a high % of the inventory and gave him cash flow to put some in reserves to sell by the bottle/mix and match at a higher price point down the road.
Z l o t o g u r a

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8455 Post by Toby P »

Pricing will be interesting. I will probably pass though if it's much more than the original offers, as I had plenty opportunity to buy as much as I wanted at those prices and was always confident the QPR would be very good. I realize for some folks the value of more certainty is higher, but for me the mix and match is the only extra value and I'd maybe pay an additional $1-2 per bottle above original offer for that. If it's more than that I'll likely just stick to the occasional purchase of a regular offer when my guard is down :)
P r a t t

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8456 Post by ekwartler »

Will the store be the end of the futures model, though? Or just another option? I'm also excited about the store but if there's a significant markup I hope we'll still have the opportunity to buy cheaper in advance. Also, the risk, while demonstrably low given the past quality of the wines, is part of the fun.
E r i c

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8457 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Mix n match cases for the store...makes logistical sense to ship cases- use same materials/shipper/price $29/cs

"For those of you new to the list, I often send out Tranche 2 offers for wines that I still hold in rather decent quantity (otherwise, they are destined to re-appear in our soon to be launched online store where you will be able to mix-and-match your own cases)."

Pricing- we've seem about 20% jump in 2nd tranche. But not all in on a case of same wine might be fine with that increase.

Curtis Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8458 Post by Curtis Chen »

I'd buy at a higher price if I could mix and match. Know plenty of locals that would, too.

C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8459 Post by C. Heinsen »

123 Merlot released

Definitely a Cab-lovers Merlot, this densely colored, rich, chewy red will make you wonder why you don't drink more Merlot. There is some serious fortitude as well as supple complexity to this dynamite wine.

To boot, I got a hell of a deal on this wine as it's a '17 vintage. What was/is priced at $60+ out of the tasting room, I can offer to you today at $10/bottle, $132/case. With almost exactly three months in the bottle (and because of the fact that its a '17 vintage), it's already blossoming and drinking quite well. Of course, there's still a little room for improvement but you can crack one of these now or enjoy it over the next decade+.

Deep ruby in the glass with an opaque core. Beautiful, uplifted bouquet of ripe cherries jubilee, baking spice, plum, and chocolate/tootsie roll oak notes with a kiss of mineral-infused tobacco leaf and white flower. As complex as it is gorgeous. Big and rich on the palate with gobs of ripe, red and blacks fruits perfectly integrated with chewy tannins in a long, chocolatey finish.

99% Merlot, 1% Cabernet Sauvignon
50% Calistoga (hillside alluvial estate vineyard) and 50% St. Helena
40% new French oak
15.1% alc.
500 cases available.
Bottled November 13, 2020
C h r i s

Paul Flynn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8460 Post by Paul Flynn »

$10/bottle, $132/case. CH needs a new calculator. :)
Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8461 Post by Eric White »

I'm in for this one, solely because it's a 2017 and a DeNegoce to drink sooner than most others

David Kaufman

#8462 Post by David Kaufman »

C. Heinsen wrote: February 12th, 2021, 7:40 am 123 Merlot released

To boot, I got a hell of a deal on this wine as it's a '17 vintage. What was/is priced at $60+ out of the tasting room, I can offer to you today at $10/bottle, $132/case.
Still on my first cup of coffee this morning but struggling with the math on this. Is it a bakers dozen in the case? What am I missing?

Paul Flynn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8463 Post by Paul Flynn »

It's $120/case. The description is wrong.
Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8464 Post by MatthewT »

I've got my hard pause on but this is one I would buy if I didn't. I like that 2017 and a "cab lovers" merlot.
I'm a Turk

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8465 Post by Cameron Hughes »

Paul Flynn wrote: February 12th, 2021, 7:53 am $10/bottle, $132/case. CH needs a new calculator. :)
heheh, aspirational math.

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8466 Post by Toby P »

No real producer clues this time hmmmm...Sterling Vineyards Platinum merlot seems to check a box or two but who knows.
P r a t t

L Harris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8467 Post by L Harris »

MatthewT wrote: February 12th, 2021, 8:04 am I've got my hard pause on but this is one I would buy if I didn't. I like that 2017 and a "cab lovers" merlot.
Ditto - trying REALLY hard to have a 'Dry' February (from a buying perspective, not a drinking one!) - I mean its the shortest month of the year, surely I can make it 28 days without buying wine! But Cam is making it really hard. Want some of this Merlot, hoping some of it makes it to 2nd tranche status!
L u k e

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8468 Post by MatthewT »

Eh I bought it. It's different enough from the other 50 cases, lol. And I had it sent to my home so I can drink it now. 2017 and Merlot sealed it for me. Damn you Cameron!
I'm a Turk

<hr!s.L

#8469 Post by <hr!s.L »

Toby P wrote: February 12th, 2021, 8:20 am No real producer clues this time hmmmm...Sterling Vineyards Platinum merlot seems to check a box or two but who knows.
I'm thinking it's more likely Bennett Lane again. Almost identical source description (50% Calistoga hillside vineyard / 50% St. Helena).

I feel like Cam's been on fire with interesting and tempting releases for the past week or two (i.e., the old vine Carignan, Anderson Valley Pinot, Adelaida Syrah, Eola Amity Hills Chardonnay, etc.). It’s been great for balancing out all the Cabs I’ve been stockpiling.
L @ n g l 0 i s

Marc Bonfante

#8470 Post by Marc Bonfante »

<hr!s.L wrote: February 12th, 2021, 8:51 am
Toby P wrote: February 12th, 2021, 8:20 am No real producer clues this time hmmmm...Sterling Vineyards Platinum merlot seems to check a box or two but who knows.
I'm thinking it's more likely Bennett Lane again. Almost identical source description (50% Calistoga hillside vineyard / 50% St. Helena).

I feel like Cam's been on fire with interesting and tempting releases for the past week or two (i.e., the old vine Carignan, Anderson Valley Pinot, Adelaida Syrah, Eola Amity Hills Chardonnay, etc.). It’s been great for balancing out all the Cabs I’ve been stockpiling.
I just pulled the trigger on this one too since its had time to settle and is ready to drink. Curious to know if anyone else thinks this is Bennett Lane....?

M@ttM00re

#8471 Post by M@ttM00re »

I also pulled the trigger on this one. I just found out about cam (from you guys!) right before BD. This is my 3rd case since 1/31. Above post is definitely correct in saying that cam has been nailing it with interesting offerings. I signed up thinking that I would just be a spectator, and quickly have become a participant!

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8472 Post by Pat P »

I went for this one too, my first DN purchase. I need more wines that are ready now.
P 1 5 @ N 0

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8473 Post by Toby P »

Marc Bonfante wrote: February 12th, 2021, 10:50 am

I just pulled the trigger on this one too since its had time to settle and is ready to drink. Curious to know if anyone else thinks this is Bennett Lane....?
Some factors seem to line up - the description here on the 2015 even says cab lover's merlot. But it also says <300 cases made so hard to see how Cam would have 500+ (but maybe they usually sell a bunch off?)

https://store.bennettlane.com/product?p ... AB92A3E2F6
P r a t t

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8474 Post by ekwartler »

Toby P wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:40 am

Some factors seem to line up - the description here on the 2015 even says cab lover's merlot. But it also says <300 cases made so hard to see how Cam would have 500+ (but maybe they usually sell a bunch off?)

We went over this last time with Bennett Lane; it seems the quantity they produce varies wildly by vintage. I don't think the number of cases rules out BL as a top choice.
E r i c

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8475 Post by Toby P »

ekwartler wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:41 am
Toby P wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:40 am

We went over this last time with Bennett Lane; it seems the quantity they produce varies wildly by vintage. I don't think the number of cases rules out BL as a top choice.
Gotcha, then yeah BL seems like a reasonable possibility
P r a t t

BjeanG

#8476 Post by BjeanG »

Can someone explain why Bennett Lane (or similar winery) would be willing to sell all of their $60 (retail) Merlot for much less than $10 to get rid of, if it were good enough to serve in the tasting room and therefore good enough for me to want a case of?
G o l l

rsmithjr

#8477 Post by rsmithjr »

# 123 Its Napa so I am thinking Swanson Merlot. The phrase "Cab drinkers Merlot " says it all. Also the have a 2017 at 65 a bottle....
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8478 Post by PeterH »

BjeanG wrote: February 12th, 2021, 12:52 pm Can someone explain why Bennett Lane (or similar winery) would be willing to sell all of their $60 (retail) Merlot for much less than $10 to get rid of, if it were good enough to serve in the tasting room and therefore good enough for me to want a case of?
I mused about that question in an earlier post, and the point has come up repeatedly in this thread. A possible short answer is that the winery has more wine than they can sell through full price channels, and doesn't want the label to get the reputation of being highly discounted. Once consumers are accustomed to a discount, they hold out for a similar discount in the future.
An added factor is immediate cash, and opening up need space in the tanks and warehouse.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

rsmithjr

#8479 Post by rsmithjr »

BjeanG wrote: February 12th, 2021, 12:52 pm Can someone explain why Bennett Lane (or similar winery) would be willing to sell all of their $60 (retail) Merlot for much less than $10 to get rid of, if it were good enough to serve in the tasting room and therefore good enough for me to want a case of?
First I doubt its "all" their wine. 2018 was the largest vintage ever, so room in the tanks/barrels/warehouse is full. Sales are down due to covid, less traffic, kids drinking White claw and 2019 and 2020 vintages are taking up room.

OH--- CASH FLOW.....
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Eric Z.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8480 Post by Eric Z. »

foot traffic is down in tasting rooms due to covid
restaurant consumption is down due to covid

they need to make room and move inventory for the next vintage

As stated above, if you start seeing a label on Lastbottle or WTSO or another discount site it can tarnish that brand's reputation as a "$65 merlot" so they would rather get a few pennies on the dollar and move a big quantity of what's left and move on.
Z l o t o g u r a

rsmithjr

#8481 Post by rsmithjr »

Cam just sold another case.....the moratorium is OVER...... I need more wine like I need another candle on the Birthday Cake....Fire Department is on standby when my birthday rolls around every year....

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8482 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

rsmithjr wrote: February 12th, 2021, 12:55 pm # 123 Its Napa so I am thinking Swanson Merlot. The phrase "Cab drinkers Merlot " says it all. Also the have a 2017 at 65 a bottle....
Swanson sourced their 2017 Merlot from Calistoga and the rest estate vineyards (Rutherford) so that doesn’t line up, otherwise it could have been an option.

rsmithjr

#8483 Post by rsmithjr »

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote: February 12th, 2021, 1:18 pm
rsmithjr wrote: February 12th, 2021, 12:55 pm # 123 Its Napa so I am thinking Swanson Merlot. The phrase "Cab drinkers Merlot " says it all. Also the have a 2017 at 65 a bottle....
Swanson sourced their 2017 Merlot from Calistoga and the rest estate vineyards (Rutherford) so that doesn’t line up, otherwise it could have been an option.
Bennett Lane says 2015 had LESS THAN 300 cases.....How do we get to OVER 500 in 2017...

I am sure I will be happy with it no matter what...

<hr!s.L

#8484 Post by <hr!s.L »

Bennett Lane Merlot 2015, $62 retail

Producer's tasting notes:
This is a true Cabernet lover’s Merlot. The wine is rich and dark in color and opens with notes of cherry, plum and baking spices on the nose. On the palate, this is a BIG, rich Merlot, with lingering flavors of raspberry, blackberry and cocoa.

Cam's notes for N.123:
"Definitely a Cab-lovers Merlot, this densely colored, rich, chewy red....priced at $60+ out of the tasting room....bouquet of ripe cherries jubilee, baking spice, plum, and chocolate....Big and rich on the palate with gobs of ripe, red and blacks fruits perfectly integrated with chewy tannins in a long, chocolatey finish"

Also for N.123 Cam says:
"50% Calistoga (hillside alluvial estate vineyard) and 50% St. Helena"

From offer N.76:
"producer's...estate vineyard occupies the alluvial washes draining down from Mt. St. Helena and the Palisades....Also helping balance things out is fruit from St. Helena"

And from N.80:
"A mix of hillside fruit split evenly between Calistoga and Saint Helena"

From Bennett Lane's tech sheet for 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon:
"The fruit for this wine comes from three different Up-Valley vineyard sites, including our own Lynch Family Vineyard Estate and Bennett Lane Vineyard Estate in Calistoga. The other site is the Taplin block of Leweling Vineyards on the St Helena valley floor....Total Cases: 1,100"
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 13-Cab.pdf

From Bennett Lane's tech sheet for 2009 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon"
From Calistoga, at the base of Mt. St Helena, is our own Lynch Family Vineyard...In St Helena...our Vineyard Manager, Doug Wight, grows some of the finest fruit in the valley on Taplin and Lewelling Vineyards....Total Cases: 1,664"
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... CabRsv.pdf

Current release 2016 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon production is listed at less than 300 cases. However, based on recent data (the 2009 Reserve was released in April 2016) Bennett Lane does have the production capacity to supply Cam's tranches.

I'm assuming this is Bennett Lane again. And in any case, if whoever made N.80 also made N.123 (and based on the similar fruit sources of 76/80 to 123, I'd say it seems likely to me) I'm sure I will be very happy [cheers.gif]
L @ n g l 0 i s

rsmithjr

#8485 Post by rsmithjr »

Well Cam plagiarized the Bennett website thats for sure....get my RED PEN out like my 7th grade English teacher

And thats ok.....

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8486 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

rsmithjr wrote: February 12th, 2021, 1:25 pm
Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote: February 12th, 2021, 1:18 pm
Bennett Lane says 2015 had LESS THAN 300 cases.....How do we get to OVER 500 in 2017...

I am sure I will be happy with it no matter what...
See chris L post above, and this one from pages ago...i believe someone said earlier that they also sell bulk fruit, so higher production ability is there. Regardless, all I was saying is that it is not Swanson as the fruit source is not aligned at all.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169722&p=3190140&hi ... e#p3190140

tpetty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8487 Post by tpetty »

ugh. I'm in too. My 25th case.

the '17 vintage got me. I'm hoping these drink great now. I have only opened a few bottles total of all the 18s I've bought from him.
T o d d P

rsmithjr

#8488 Post by rsmithjr »

Same here, I like the 17's a lot. I LOVE LOVE 16's but thats not what we have here....

David Kaufman

#8489 Post by David Kaufman »

I bit on the Merlot

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8490 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Some of us have plenty of wine, myself included, but the whole supply along the West Coast could be dry in coming months due to fires in California, Oregon, Washington. Vintners I know of from Paso, Central Coast, Sonoma all picked very little red grapes. Some did get Chards in. So this 2017 wine- is available at a ridiculus price, while months soon, there might be a glut of demand and little supply...? Happy Friday all.

Amy R

#8491 Post by Amy R »

I grabbed a case as well, my 9th. I think. I'm losing track...

This may have been covered in a previous post, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if CH buys the finished juice out of the barrel and puts it straight into the bottle? Or does he buy the juice and make some finishing touches before bottling it? Or does he buy it already bottled but not labeled? Inquiring minds want to know...
Amy Roberts

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8492 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

You people are a bad influence [cheers.gif]

I was half-hoping my approach to hold out and wait for it to sell out would prevail here, but after more reading and pondering, way more upside than downside for this wine at $13 delivered so I'm in. If it is way off of what Cam says, I will be looking him up.

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8493 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

Amy R wrote: February 12th, 2021, 4:59 pm I grabbed a case as well, my 9th. I think. I'm losing track...

This may have been covered in a previous post, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if CH buys the finished juice out of the barrel and puts it straight into the bottle? Or does he buy the juice and make some finishing touches before bottling it? Or does he buy it already bottled but not labeled? Inquiring minds want to know...
As far as I know it is bottled by De Negoce. All are purchased out of barrel, fined and filtered, and then bottled, labeled etc. independent of the producing winery. Sometimes it is exactly as the winery provided, and sometimes blended, but typically disclosed if blending occurred.

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8494 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

Amy - he does them all; varies by offer.

Kevin B

#8495 Post by Kevin B »

After deciding to wait for the "store" to open, I got one too. So much for will power, but I'm also looking for something drinking good now. 82 made it here today. First one I bought.
Beswick

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8496 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Amy R- look back in this thread and see "Holy Grail" Icon- that is Cameron Hughes. Read his comments from this thread on what he uses to bottle the De Negoce wines. Cheers.

Bill Stephenson

#8497 Post by Bill Stephenson »

Timothy B a l l a r d wrote: February 12th, 2021, 4:33 pm Some of us have plenty of wine, myself included, but the whole supply along the West Coast could be dry in coming months due to fires in California, Oregon, Washington. Vintners I know of from Paso, Central Coast, Sonoma all picked very little red grapes. Some did get Chards in. So this 2017 wine- is available at a ridiculus price, while months soon, there might be a glut of demand and little supply...? Happy Friday all.
That's been the rationale in our house not just with the 2018-19 de Negoce but with all of our memberships.
LOAD UP!
We will be buying so little of the 2020 vintage that we may get dropped from a couple of lists but after drinking 2008 Mendocino and 2009 Amador
wines that had a noticeable smoke taint we're not going to throw good money at them just to keep the verticals going.

rsmithjr

#8498 Post by rsmithjr »

tpetty wrote: February 12th, 2021, 2:04 pm ugh. I'm in too. My 25th case.

the '17 vintage got me. I'm hoping these drink great now. I have only opened a few bottles total of all the 18s I've bought from him.
Wow, you have really caught up and passed me.....I'm on # 13 with the Merlot...

Michael Goode
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8499 Post by Michael Goode »

OG N.134 2020 Lake County Sauvignon Blanc 12-bottle case
Price$96.00

https://www.denegoce.com/products/og-n- ... ottle-case

*BOTTLES FEB 17 AND SHOULD SHIP EARLY MARCH

Exotic and sexy, this beautiful Lake County Sauvignon Blanc is sourced from a Napa Valley Winery where it sells for just under $30 out of the tasting room. Not a lot of folks can sell Lake County SB for over $20 so I think you'll be suitably impressed at $8/bottle, $96/case. Trust me, this is fantastic SB and should be drinking nicely come April for Spring/Summer poolside (of course, this wine was picked well before the fires and has no smoke taint).

Very light in color with a pretty green tinge. Explosive on the nose, rich with mineral-laden blossom. lychee and pear. Soft and fleshy on entry with zesty citrus notes and flinty acidity echoing in a long, pure finish. Delicious.

100% Sauvignon Blanc
Partial barrel-ferment, the rest done in stainless steel.
14.4% alc.
500 cases available
Bottling February 17th, 2021

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8500 Post by ekwartler »

Thinking I can't go wrong here at $8 even if I end up just cooking with it.
E r i c

Return to “Wine Talk”