de Negoce offer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
T0ny Dr13r
Posts: 10
Joined: July 28th, 2020, 8:36 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8401 Post by T0ny Dr13r »

Could this be Tablas Creek? Their Syrah seems to be a perfect fit. Not sure about the white yet.

User avatar
seanr
Posts: 73
Joined: January 10th, 2019, 3:05 pm
Location: San Jose, CA
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8402 Post by seanr »

J. Patrick Lynch wrote: February 8th, 2021, 10:09 am
Jonah P wrote: February 8th, 2021, 10:02 am You guys sold me on 135 and now I have to buy the hype when Cam suggests this is the best Syrah yet. I'm a fan.
Halter Ranch?
pretty good guess and what I was thinking as well. The 2017 Syrah seems similar in % new oak and ALC level.

Plus the white offered today looks a lot like their 2018 Grenache Blanc ......same varietals, slightly different %'s.

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 95
Joined: September 18th, 2020, 6:45 pm
Location: Michigan, USA
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8403 Post by Luca Giupponi »

None of the whites on the Tablas Creek website are the exact same blend but a number of that are pretty close. This could be a "custom" blend to get rid of some of the excess juice.

https://tablascreek.com/wines/color/white

T0ny Dr13r
Posts: 10
Joined: July 28th, 2020, 8:36 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8404 Post by T0ny Dr13r »

Looks like it is Halter Ranch. The white on the website notes " Aged ‘Sur Lie’ for eight months in the same vessels it was fermented in." compared to the DN offer "Barrel-fermented in large puncheons and neutral barrels and then aged on the lees until July"

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 39
Joined: January 21st, 2021, 8:46 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8405 Post by ekwartler »

God dammit...in for a case of the syrah. As usual. Got some white arriving today from BD so I'm holding off on the rhone blend.
E r i c

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 246
Joined: August 25th, 2020, 9:27 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8406 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Jack- likely true. All filled up on Syrah and whites. Pass on this offer. Cheers.

Michael Goode
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33
Joined: November 6th, 2020, 11:32 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8407 Post by Michael Goode »

I think it is good to remind new people that there is a thread for tasting notes on dN wines:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=173666&p=3196171&hi ... e#p3196171


Jonah P wrote: February 8th, 2021, 10:02 am Since nobody chimed in to tell me what numbers are drinking well now (I guess you have to bitch about shipping to get any love on this forum [cry.gif] ), we just grabbed whatever cabs were handy. I've been buying with one other guy and we stopped counting, but we're around 80 cases which turns out to be enough to overwhelm the wine storage and non wine storage of two large homes. Despite all the buying I'd only tried 3 to date (25 was the only red). Based on the totality of the reviews here and on CT my guess was that, while the huge purchase was not a disaster, there was a good chance that we'd bought way too much $30 wine for $18. That would be a very bad outcome for me. I already had plenty of wine before DN, I don't host large events, and it's hard to give away wine with an unknown label. Before I get accused of completely burying the lead, let me just say that this tasting of 12 cabs has totally put my fears to rest. I'll get to what we drank, but for those of you who don't want to waste time with a long post, here are the highlights. The quality of the wine was high across the board. There were real differences between the wines. Many of them were very drinkable at this early date. In short, all four tasters felt the wines overall exceeded their highest expectations going in. This appears to be exactly what we were hoping for, which was wine that somebody made with the intention of selling for way more than the DN price and then puked out due to market forces. Finally, this has not been a popular undertaking with the wives associated with the project (no need to rehash the possibly sexist implications there), about 2/3 of the way through one of those wives asked if we would be able to buy any more of these now. I really can't think of a better thumbs up than that. Now for the two caveats, while everyone there drinks a lot of wine and knows what they like, no one is in the habit of taking detailed notes. Also my wife and I recently recovered from Covid and haven't fully recovered our sense of smell/taste (if anything I think the wines would be more exciting with a full palate). Below are the wines ready to be tasted. They were all decanted and then recanted to breathe in the bottle for 3 more hours.
IMG_7316.jpg
Below are spotty notes for the 12 wines. We drank them in numerical order for lack of a better plan.

17 - Strong yes for all, bold, in your face, but with some structure.
40 - Much more refined, silky tannins, tastes expensive and outstanding IMO, but a bit boring compared to 17 for others
41 - Another crowd favorite, drinks like a classier 17, people kept going back to this one
42 - OK, the haters have a point here, does have a bit of that Caymus candy thing going on here, but is that a problem? My wife loves Caymus, as does almost everyone who comes over as do I 3 or 4 times a year. If you don't need a case of this in your house, you're way to cool for me and your friends are snobs.
43 - Solid, but doesn't hold up to 17 and 41. This is the first wine that just doesn't seem ready to drink.
46 - I think this was thought to be Robert Craig. I've had a fair bit of Affinity and I don't like them too young (drinking '08s now). I can believe this is Robert Craig, which is exciting since I haven't had too many of the supposed source wines here and it's nice to maintain the fantasy of where we think these are from. I think this will be very good, but it isn't right now. Jammy and tight.
59 - Not a crown favorite, but one of my top wines of the bunch for drinking now. Very smooth, just not sure how much better this will get.
64 - Seemed tanic and closed at first, but really came around with some additional time in the glass. This drinks like a serious wine and has quite a bit of upside IMO
71 - WOTN? Not sure on the upside here, but definitely drinking well today. Another wine that got many revisits after the initial tasting was done.
80 - This was a last minute addition after the two postings about how great it was right off the truck. That was not our experience. We were all waiting for a dud and this was as close as we got. It just tasted like nothing. I am not writing it off by any means. I haven't opened a cab three days after it arrived in ten years.
81 - I think we're all tired, but this isn't getting any love either. Nothing wrong with it, just not something anyone wanted to drink today with all the other choices on the tables.

I'm sorry that we didn't score anything, but if we had, everything would have been in the 90-93 range with the exception of #80, which we wouldn't have scored. I can't overemphasize how impressed we all were. Cam, if you're out there, bravo. Clearly if I'm in for ~40 cases, I had somewhat high expectations. They have been exceeded. I think it's worth noting how unboring it was to drink these 11 California cabs in succession. We are clearly going to be drinking these often and for a long time. If they all were all alike, that would really get old. There's been some debate here and with my buying partner about these wines vs. WA NDA. Our thought so far was that the WA might be a bit better, maybe enough to justify the higher cost. At this point I am very glad that I have way more DN in the cellar. The WA wines are really good, but at least at this point they taste like they all came out of the same kitchen. That would be a problem for me.

I still plan to ignore most of these for the next two years and I do think many of them will shut down soon, but as someone who was starting to dread the UPS shipping notifications, I am just thrilled with what I have. I've bought two cases today already. You guys sold me on 135 and now I have to buy the hype when Cam suggests this is the best Syrah yet. I'm a fan.

User avatar
Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 569
Joined: January 8th, 2010, 12:51 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8408 Post by Cameron Hughes »

Jonah P wrote: February 8th, 2021, 10:02 am Since nobody chimed in to tell me what numbers are drinking well now (I guess you have to bitch about shipping to get any love on this forum [cry.gif] ), we just grabbed whatever cabs were handy. I've been buying with one other guy and we stopped counting, but we're around 80 cases which turns out to be enough to overwhelm the wine storage and non wine storage of two large homes. Despite all the buying I'd only tried 3 to date (25 was the only red). Based on the totality of the reviews here and on CT my guess was that, while the huge purchase was not a disaster, there was a good chance that we'd bought way too much $30 wine for $18. That would be a very bad outcome for me. I already had plenty of wine before DN, I don't host large events, and it's hard to give away wine with an unknown label. Before I get accused of completely burying the lead, let me just say that this tasting of 12 cabs has totally put my fears to rest. I'll get to what we drank, but for those of you who don't want to waste time with a long post, here are the highlights. The quality of the wine was high across the board. There were real differences between the wines. Many of them were very drinkable at this early date. In short, all four tasters felt the wines overall exceeded their highest expectations going in. This appears to be exactly what we were hoping for, which was wine that somebody made with the intention of selling for way more than the DN price and then puked out due to market forces. Finally, this has not been a popular undertaking with the wives associated with the project (no need to rehash the possibly sexist implications there), about 2/3 of the way through one of those wives asked if we would be able to buy any more of these now. I really can't think of a better thumbs up than that. Now for the two caveats, while everyone there drinks a lot of wine and knows what they like, no one is in the habit of taking detailed notes. Also my wife and I recently recovered from Covid and haven't fully recovered our sense of smell/taste (if anything I think the wines would be more exciting with a full palate). Below are the wines ready to be tasted. They were all decanted and then recanted to breathe in the bottle for 3 more hours.
IMG_7316.jpg
Below are spotty notes for the 12 wines. We drank them in numerical order for lack of a better plan.

17 - Strong yes for all, bold, in your face, but with some structure.
40 - Much more refined, silky tannins, tastes expensive and outstanding IMO, but a bit boring compared to 17 for others
41 - Another crowd favorite, drinks like a classier 17, people kept going back to this one
42 - OK, the haters have a point here, does have a bit of that Caymus candy thing going on here, but is that a problem? My wife loves Caymus, as does almost everyone who comes over as do I 3 or 4 times a year. If you don't need a case of this in your house, you're way to cool for me and your friends are snobs.
43 - Solid, but doesn't hold up to 17 and 41. This is the first wine that just doesn't seem ready to drink.
46 - I think this was thought to be Robert Craig. I've had a fair bit of Affinity and I don't like them too young (drinking '08s now). I can believe this is Robert Craig, which is exciting since I haven't had too many of the supposed source wines here and it's nice to maintain the fantasy of where we think these are from. I think this will be very good, but it isn't right now. Jammy and tight.
59 - Not a crown favorite, but one of my top wines of the bunch for drinking now. Very smooth, just not sure how much better this will get.
64 - Seemed tanic and closed at first, but really came around with some additional time in the glass. This drinks like a serious wine and has quite a bit of upside IMO
71 - WOTN? Not sure on the upside here, but definitely drinking well today. Another wine that got many revisits after the initial tasting was done.
80 - This was a last minute addition after the two postings about how great it was right off the truck. That was not our experience. We were all waiting for a dud and this was as close as we got. It just tasted like nothing. I am not writing it off by any means. I haven't opened a cab three days after it arrived in ten years.
81 - I think we're all tired, but this isn't getting any love either. Nothing wrong with it, just not something anyone wanted to drink today with all the other choices on the tables.

I'm sorry that we didn't score anything, but if we had, everything would have been in the 90-93 range with the exception of #80, which we wouldn't have scored. I can't overemphasize how impressed we all were. Cam, if you're out there, bravo. Clearly if I'm in for ~40 cases, I had somewhat high expectations. They have been exceeded. I think it's worth noting how unboring it was to drink these 11 California cabs in succession. We are clearly going to be drinking these often and for a long time. If they all were all alike, that would really get old. There's been some debate here and with my buying partner about these wines vs. WA NDA. Our thought so far was that the WA might be a bit better, maybe enough to justify the higher cost. At this point I am very glad that I have way more DN in the cellar. The WA wines are really good, but at least at this point they taste like they all came out of the same kitchen. That would be a problem for me.

I still plan to ignore most of these for the next two years and I do think many of them will shut down soon, but as someone who was starting to dread the UPS shipping notifications, I am just thrilled with what I have. I've bought two cases today already. You guys sold me on 135 and now I have to buy the hype when Cam suggests this is the best Syrah yet. I'm a fan.
Hi Jonah - thanks for your notes. I tasted through a variety of the larger lots of Cabernet (in anticipation of our store launching hopefully by end of month) to see where things were. My impression is that the 2018 Napa Cabernet's are still largely tight with moderately expressive palates that had yet to develop bottle bouquet, especially the Walla Walla wines. You can drink these but they're going to a lot better with another 6-12 months in bottle. I am not at all surprised and I think it speaks to the overall quality of these wines that they are still largely brooding...as I have said, Napa Cab in a good vintage needs a good year to fully coalesce.
One Chard: N.23 Napa Carneros Chard - buttered flowers, soft palate. Good to go but will still see some aromatic improvement over next 6 months.
N.17 Napa Cabernet - red licorice and rock...showing a bit richer than I anticipated and a little fat on palate which surprised me because this wine has lots of stuffing and was one of the firmer Cabs. Give this another 3-4 months to coalesce.
N.28 Napa Cabernet - fruit is subdued behind the leather right now. Give this another 6 months.
N.30 Atlas Peak Cabernet - oaky and dense with tight aromatics. Rich and chewy on palate with excellent length but it's still pretty tight. Needs another 6 months for bottle bouquet.
N.32 Dry Creek Cabernet- shy fruit, more graphite and white flower with a lovely brown sugar note. Lots of grip on tight reticent palate. needs more time of course...
N.40 Diamond Mountain Cabernet - brooding, concave nose pulls you down like a black hole with just a little red fruit poking out. Tight on the palate, as expected, but the structure is EPIC. Don't touch this for another year. Infanticide.
N.43 Napa Cabernet - Cherry and leather on the nose, red fruits and chalky tannins on palate...not bad right now but a little thin at this moment.
N.50 Walla Walla Cabernet - like N.40...super tight with just a little high-toned earth and brooding fruit...totally ass backwards aromatically and only slightly better on the palate...you can decant the hell out of this but really just forget about it for another year or more.
N.82 Walla Walla Meritage/Red Blend - going out of order here as these are sister wineries. Pungent with oak and brooding fruit, again, totally ass backwards right now. Its a monster on the palate and a bit more approachable than N.50 but clearly still a baby. Give this another 6-8 months.
N.58 McDowell/Mendo Petite Sirah - subdued fruit and a kiss walnut husk...awkward aromatically and on palate...give this another 3-4 months.
N.66 Napa Cabernet (mostly Stags Leap) - warm plum, blackberry and graphite. Juicy and ripe on palate with nice acidity. Pretty approachable right now actually but I wouldn't be surprised if it oscillated again.
N.68 Sonoma Cabernet (Mayacamas elevation vineyard)- pretty tight and brooding on the nose, earthy. The fruit is richer on the mid-palate however and its actually pretty approachable right now. Again, wouldn't be surprised if this one swung around again too.

I hope to taste through a broader selection soon and will report back what I find.

Thanks to everyone for their interest and enthusiasm for this project.

Cheers!

Cameron

Michael Singsen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 54
Joined: October 4th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#8409 Post by Michael Singsen »

I had thought maybe Tablas Creek, but Halter Ranch is a much better fit with the descriptions given. Which is a good thing!
Last edited by Michael Singsen on February 8th, 2021, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin B
Posts: 44
Joined: November 1st, 2020, 8:17 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: de Negoce offer

#8410 Post by Kevin B »

Got number 120 and 125 here in Georgia today. Safe and sound. UPS is showing 82 in transit, but I hope it's being held. Going to be real cold in the mid west this week. On another note, opened my first bottle of #61 Dry Creek Zin. I was rather shocked by the light red color of this, but then I've been drinking much darker, full bodied Zins lately, so this is a real change of pace. I can't really say that I've had anything quite like it before. Seems both dry and fruity at the same time. Lingers on the palate in a really good way. I have to say that I really like it.
Beswick

<hr!s.L
Posts: 61
Joined: November 12th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8411 Post by <hr!s.L »

Jonah P wrote: February 8th, 2021, 10:02 am
N.80 Napa Valley Reserve Cab - This was a last minute addition after the two postings about how great it was right off the truck. That was not our experience. We were all waiting for a dud and this was as close as we got. It just tasted like nothing. I am not writing it off by any means. I haven't opened a cab three days after it arrived in ten years.
Now I feel guilty for sharing my glowingly positive feedback for N.80! My apologies for encouraging the premature destruction of a would-be great bottle of wine [oops.gif]

Regrettably, Cam's words of warning proved more immediately prescient than I could have imagined.
Cameron Hughes wrote: February 4th, 2021, 5:10 pm
HI Blaine - glad you were impressed. However, just know the wine was bottled about two months ago and you caught it in a good phase. I would bet good money that wine will ass-backwards in a couple weeks.[cheers.gif]

Cameron
At any rate, thank you Jonah for the wonderfully thorough and informative post. It's great to hear where some of the various past bottlings sit at present, and also of the perceived promise they offer for the future.
L @ n g l 0 i s

J Vannes
Posts: 5
Joined: November 5th, 2020, 12:12 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8412 Post by J Vannes »

M@ttM00re wrote: February 6th, 2021, 2:13 pm [swearing.gif] [cry.gif] Sold out in the time it took me to check out... I was looking forward to this one.
A very few cases of this (Carignan) are back up.
Of all the Jeffs you know, I'm the Jeffest.

J. Patrick Lynch
Posts: 282
Joined: June 25th, 2020, 9:41 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8413 Post by J. Patrick Lynch »

Michael Singsen wrote: February 8th, 2021, 12:30 pm Tablas Creek?
The one reason I thought Halter Ranch over Tablas Creek is that Tablas makes a point to list any ratings in their "accolades" detail. For the 2017 Syrah, the highest one they listed was a 93pt score. The description for this release specifically mentioned a 94pt score for the prior year's vintage, which Halter Ranch did recieve. [cheers.gif]
J @ c k

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 39
Joined: January 21st, 2021, 8:46 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8414 Post by ekwartler »

#120 and #80 just arrived here in Texas, and #107 and #75 are due on Thursday. I was debating a pop and pour on 80 but glad to be warned off in time. Gonna put the two cabs away for a while but I'd be interested in thoughts on drinkability of the Petite Sirah and Syrah.
E r i c

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 645
Joined: November 25th, 2017, 1:29 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8415 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

People, please buy the Syrah before I cave.

Michael Singsen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 54
Joined: October 4th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#8416 Post by Michael Singsen »

Even better!

The one reason I thought Halter Ranch over Tablas Creek is that Tablas makes a point to list any ratings in their "accolades" detail. For the 2017 Syrah, the highest one they listed was a 93pt score. The description for this release specifically mentioned a 94pt score for the prior year's vintage, which Halter Ranch did recieve. [cheers.gif]
[/quote]

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 645
Joined: November 25th, 2017, 1:29 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8417 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

Anyone had Halter ranch before that can give me an idea of the style? Big, Bold, Restrained, Middle, Fruit vs earth etc.?

Dmytro Marushkevych
Posts: 36
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:49 pm
Location: Atascadero, CA
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: de Negoce offer

#8418 Post by Dmytro Marushkevych »

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote: February 8th, 2021, 2:16 pm Anyone had Halter ranch before that can give me an idea of the style? Big, Bold, Restrained, Middle, Fruit vs earth etc.?
I had their Syrah at the Rhone Rangers tasting a couple of years ago (which was actually held @ Halter Ranch). Do not recall details, but it was not my favorite Syrah. Does not mean it was not good, but there are a lot of great Syrah producers in our neck of the woods. I recall it being on a "warm climate" side, a bit too tight and not too fruity. Scores aside, I would buy a few others' bottles, e.g. Tablas Creek, before Halter Ranch - but this is just my personal style.

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 246
Joined: August 25th, 2020, 9:27 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8419 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Chris,
My friends have shared Halter Ranch with me before, it's not over the top style like many Paso wines can be. West Side Paso is cooler than inland towards 101. cheers.

User avatar
Randy Sanders
Posts: 4
Joined: January 4th, 2018, 6:34 pm
Location: Central NY
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: de Negoce offer

#8420 Post by Randy Sanders »

I thought it was actually Adelaida Vineyards.
I did get a case.
Right side of 101 (West), and they have a 94 point Syrah.

M@ttM00re
Posts: 13
Joined: January 26th, 2021, 7:06 pm
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8421 Post by M@ttM00re »

J Vannes wrote: February 8th, 2021, 1:39 pm
M@ttM00re wrote: February 6th, 2021, 2:13 pm [swearing.gif] [cry.gif] Sold out in the time it took me to check out... I was looking forward to this one.
A very few cases of this (Carignan) are back up.
Thanks, I was able to pick one up! [cheers.gif]

J. Patrick Lynch
Posts: 282
Joined: June 25th, 2020, 9:41 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8422 Post by J. Patrick Lynch »

Randy Sanders wrote: February 8th, 2021, 5:19 pm I thought it was actually Adelaida Vineyards.
I did get a case.
Right side of 101 (West), and they have a 94 point Syrah.
It could work. But I think the $75 price for Adelaida doesn't fit as well.
J @ c k

User avatar
Randy Sanders
Posts: 4
Joined: January 4th, 2018, 6:34 pm
Location: Central NY
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: de Negoce offer

#8423 Post by Randy Sanders »

J. Patrick Lynch wrote: February 8th, 2021, 6:24 pm
Randy Sanders wrote: February 8th, 2021, 5:19 pm I thought it was actually Adelaida Vineyards.
I did get a case.
Right side of 101 (West), and they have a 94 point Syrah.
It could work. But I think the $75 price for Adelaida doesn't fit as well.
J., CH could be conflating the 94 Points of the Reserve Estate Syrah with the price of the Regular Estate Syrah.

J. Patrick Lynch
Posts: 282
Joined: June 25th, 2020, 9:41 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8424 Post by J. Patrick Lynch »

Randy Sanders wrote: February 9th, 2021, 3:06 am J., CH could be conflating the 94 Points of the Reserve Estate Syrah with the price of the Regular Estate Syrah.
Or perhaps you are. Anyway, I don't see any white from Adelaida that matches up with the blend of the Rhone white, which is the same producer of the syrah. Most of Adelaida's previous whites are single varietal and the recent "Anna's White" blend contains no Picpoul. dN placed a price of $30 from the tasting room, so aside from some possible tinkering on the margins, this does not appear to be a dN proprietary blend.

You can view their releases here:
https://www.adelaida.com/wineprofiles
J @ c k

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 252
Joined: March 29th, 2011, 11:09 am
Location: Cleveland, OH
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8425 Post by Abbie S. »

You really can't go wrong with Adelaida, Tablas Creek or Halter Ranch. If we didn't have so much Paso Syrah (We have been Adelaida club members for years), I would have taken advantage of the offer.
IG abbieroads

salovon

Jonah P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 149
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 8:03 pm
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8426 Post by Jonah P »

"Now I feel guilty for sharing my glowingly positive feedback for N.80! My apologies for encouraging the premature destruction of a would-be great bottle of wine [oops.gif]

Regrettably, Cam's words of warning proved more immediately prescient than I could have imagined.


At any rate, thank you Jonah for the wonderfully thorough and informative post. It's great to hear where some of the various past bottlings sit at present, and also of the perceived promise they offer for the future."
[/quote]

No apology necessary, we needed a twelfth wine to fill the box and we expected to be dumping way more of them.

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting anyone drink these cabs now, I'm just surprised that, for the most part, you can. That said, my experience with Napa cabs is that there is a short window when they come out of bottle shock when they're fun to drink and then they shut down for a while. That's why I just wait until year five to avoid the headache. The big part of my angst pre tasting was that I didn't buy these as cellar defenders. I was in inventory reduction mode already. I bought because I thought these would be as good as the discounted wines I get for $40 ($80-125 SRP) on the discount sites. At this point I'm pretty confident that they are. If I can't put these among my go cabs from '23-28, that will be a fail. So far, so good.
J o n a h P e t c h e s k y

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 246
Joined: August 25th, 2020, 9:27 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8427 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Jonah,
Agree with your statement on $40 discounted from $80-$125 (Wine Access is one- Chad labels come to mind). These DN wines while being cellar defenders, are also cellar builders for some of us. Now I can drink through many aged wines for awhile, in 2 years we have these wonderful wines from excellent 2018 vintage (Ca & Walla Walla). In less we forget, 2020 will be a dismal year for winemakers up and down the West Coast. Could be a shortage of excess wines and well, supply and demand dynamics make these 2018s a real bargain I can foresee. Cheers.

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 8912
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8428 Post by larry schaffer »

Interesting comments comparing Halter Ranch and Tablas Creek - yep, both west side Paso and literally next door to each other, but that does not mean their wines will be similar in any way. I have had some Halter Ranch wines that I liked, but they are definitely 'bigger and bolder' than Tablas Creek. That is not necessarily a good or bad thing - just depends upon your preference.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Joseph O
Posts: 7
Joined: January 30th, 2021, 11:55 am

Re: de Negoce offer

#8429 Post by Joseph O »

J. Patrick Lynch wrote: February 8th, 2021, 1:55 pm
Michael Singsen wrote: February 8th, 2021, 12:30 pm Tablas Creek?
The one reason I thought Halter Ranch over Tablas Creek is that Tablas makes a point to list any ratings in their "accolades" detail. For the 2017 Syrah, the highest one they listed was a 93pt score. The description for this release specifically mentioned a 94pt score for the prior year's vintage, which Halter Ranch did recieve. [cheers.gif]
Agree this seems likely to be Halter Ranch. The score lines up, the price is right at $42, and the HR tasting notes for the 2017 include “silky”, “baking spices”, and “wet stone” all of which Cam references in his own note.
Joseph O

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 8912
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8430 Post by larry schaffer »

I do understand that Tablas worked with Cam on getting their rose into his hands - my guess is that was probably because of the turndown in on premise sales due to Covid. I would venture to guess that they won't offer other wines to him as they seem to be able to move their wines in a timely manner - and are very aggressive about their DTC business. Forgetting about any further details, I would think either Halter or Adelaida . . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

User avatar
Paul Flynn
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 424
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:17 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8431 Post by Paul Flynn »

I bought 136 on the possibility that it is Halter Ranch. We visited there years ago and we're fans.
Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase

Marc Bonfante
Posts: 8
Joined: January 22nd, 2021, 10:27 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: de Negoce offer

#8432 Post by Marc Bonfante »

I know the recommendation/best practice is to lay most of these red wines down for 6 months to allow them to settle. However, has anyone that received their OG#120 Moon Mountain Cab yet popped one open to test? Also, is everyone in agreeance that it's most likely sourced from Louis Martini Monte Rosso? Thoughts?

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 246
Joined: August 25th, 2020, 9:27 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8433 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

OG 126...

https://store.roedererestate.com/domain ... n-c11.aspx

OG 125 is excellent by the way if you enjoy lighter style PN.

Cheers.

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 246
Joined: August 25th, 2020, 9:27 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8434 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

In for 2 cases to split with friends. Thanks Cam

User avatar
Troy Stark
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 926
Joined: March 7th, 2012, 9:51 am
Location: Tampa, FL
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8435 Post by Troy Stark »

Is everyone quite certain that 125 and 126 are Roederer?
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 624
Joined: February 17th, 2011, 10:49 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8436 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Troy Stark wrote: February 10th, 2021, 1:35 pm Is everyone quite certain that 125 and 126 are Roederer?
126 is virtually a lock for Domaine Anderson. 125 was strongly suspected to be Carpe Diem, so with the descriptions for both of these I think it's pretty much a certainty.

User avatar
Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 686
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 3:28 pm
Location: Banks, OR
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8437 Post by Eric White »

Man, the compelling offers just keep coming! I'd be all over this one if I wasn't so heavy with DN already

User avatar
Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 1083
Joined: June 9th, 2020, 11:21 pm
Location: New York
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8438 Post by Rodrigo B »

This one really is tempting
B r @ g @

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 246
Joined: August 25th, 2020, 9:27 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8439 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Rodrigo,
Dare your temptation...! OG125 was wonderful at this young age. OG126 should be better.

https://www.winemag.com/buying-guide/do ... on-valley/

User avatar
Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 1083
Joined: June 9th, 2020, 11:21 pm
Location: New York
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8440 Post by Rodrigo B »

Tim, I'm really tempted for this one. Gotta sleep on it (or at least mull it over a glass of wine or two) and see
B r @ g @

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 246
Joined: August 25th, 2020, 9:27 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8441 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Rodrigo,
60 cases left...unless Cam adds more to store.

Enjoy your wine, Cheers. Tim

User avatar
Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 1083
Joined: June 9th, 2020, 11:21 pm
Location: New York
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8442 Post by Rodrigo B »

Tim, I'd be much more tempted if I didn't already an ungodly amount of de Negoce.

Btw, I found your new profile pic:
Attachments
Palpatine.jpg
Palpatine.jpg (29.15 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
B r @ g @

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 246
Joined: August 25th, 2020, 9:27 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8443 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Rodrigo,
So passing on this 2nd Tranche offering from Cameron I'll take? Stag's Leap Cab in there if you missed it 1st time.

Kevin N
Posts: 35
Joined: March 2nd, 2015, 7:41 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8444 Post by Kevin N »

Big Tranche 2 offer in the email. Passed on all of them, but #17 was tempting. I'm at 15 cases total (7 in house, 8 waiting to be shipped) and feel good about all of them thus far.
Nieminen

User avatar
Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü
Posts: 1083
Joined: June 9th, 2020, 11:21 pm
Location: New York
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8445 Post by Rodrigo B »

Timothy B a l l a r d wrote: February 10th, 2021, 6:09 pm Rodrigo,
So passing on this 2nd Tranche offering from Cameron I'll take? Stag's Leap Cab in there if you missed it 1st time.
I'm pretty much all Cab'ed out from de Negoce. I don't even want to pull up the CT stats to look at the damage [head-bang.gif] . Of the lot, #17 is probably the most appealing to me as I've already got plenty of de Negoce cabs that need to age for a bit. Though the Stag's Leap one also seems like one of Cam's stronger Cab offerings
B r @ g @

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 39
Joined: January 21st, 2021, 8:46 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8446 Post by ekwartler »

Had to get in on that N.17 y'all keep going on about.
E r i c

R Roberts
Posts: 1039
Joined: September 2nd, 2013, 8:03 pm
Location: SF peninsula
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8447 Post by R Roberts »

I cracked an N.125 to see if I wanted to go in on the N.126. Yes I realize this is a very young wine, but if it showed well, that would bode well for the "reserve" version.
  • 2019 de Négoce Pinot Noir OG N.125 - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (2/10/2021)
    Vigorously decanted and sat for 3 hours. Mute nose, wet rocks and watermelon on the palate. Medium acid, gentle tannin, light body. Juicy red fruited finish. Seems like a fine summer quaffer, but I don't taste anything that makes me more excited than that at this stage.
No regrets, especially at the price point, but for my tastes I don't need another case, even if its supposed to be a bit better.
R.ama

ChrisWolff
Posts: 118
Joined: December 4th, 2019, 9:49 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8448 Post by ChrisWolff »

Looking forward to the ‘store’ opening up soon

User avatar
rsmithjr
Posts: 411
Joined: December 8th, 2015, 11:25 am
Location: Troy, Mich & Naples, FL
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8449 Post by rsmithjr »

ekwartler wrote: February 10th, 2021, 7:49 pm Had to get in on that N.17 y'all keep going on about.
Its a good wine for the $ and enjoyable but not over the top. Cellar defender for sure.
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

User avatar
David Kaufman
Posts: 1005
Joined: January 17th, 2012, 6:32 pm
Location: Scottsdale & OC
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: de Negoce offer

#8450 Post by David Kaufman »

Any notes on N.65 2018 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir? I see it is back in stock as part of the tranched re-releases

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”