de Negoce offer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jeff O
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: de Negoce offer

#8351 Post by Jeff O »

Here are the two running lists that I'm aware of:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RSFyXniPo8qCAfneEJdjL2GFAmwCw0rKlRjUkKbtbOs/edit

https://denegociants.com/
0 w 3 n $

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8352 Post by Nick F. »

Thanks
i a s c o n e

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8353 Post by ekwartler »

Went in on 102 after looking in my cellar defender racks and seeing nothing but Pinot I didn't want to drink. Never mind that I have six DN cases on the way already...
E r i c

Jeff O
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8354 Post by Jeff O »

ekwartler wrote: February 5th, 2021, 6:35 pm Went in on 102 after looking in my cellar defender racks and seeing nothing but Pinot I didn't want to drink.
Hopefully because you're aging the Pinot to perfection . . . and not because they suck.
0 w 3 n $

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8355 Post by ekwartler »

Jeff O wrote: February 5th, 2021, 7:29 pm
ekwartler wrote: February 5th, 2021, 6:35 pm Went in on 102 after looking in my cellar defender racks and seeing nothing but Pinot I didn't want to drink.
Hopefully because you're aging the Pinot to perfection . . . and not because they suck.
Eh, just not in a Pinot mood. But I just got a shipping notification for No.107 Yountville Petite Sirah and for that I am truly excited.
E r i c

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8356 Post by PeterH »

Cameron Hughes wrote: February 5th, 2021, 4:05 pm
ChrisWolff wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:44 pm
Cameron Hughes wrote: February 5th, 2021, 1:48 pm

Hey Mike - I'm sorry about that. Not sure why you are not being responded to. Please send me an email ch at denegoce.com and we'll get you squared away. Having said that, we are holding all east coats shipments at this time but someone should be getting back to you when you email.

Anyone else having problems please feel free to reach out to me as well.

Cameron
Sooo, are all these Walla Walla bottles from Cougar Crest or Charles Smith?
never heard of either of them.
😉
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Kevin N

#8357 Post by Kevin N »

ekwartler wrote: February 5th, 2021, 8:23 pm
Eh, just not in a Pinot mood. But I just got a shipping notification for No.107 Yountville Petite Sirah and for that I am truly excited.
I bought that one too. Sounded like a fun change of pace.
Nieminen

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8358 Post by ekwartler »

Kevin N wrote: February 5th, 2021, 8:48 pm
ekwartler wrote: February 5th, 2021, 8:23 pm

I bought that one too. Sounded like a fun change of pace.
Should be interesting next to the Theopolis BD six pack that arrived on Monday.
E r i c

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8359 Post by Peter C. »

Mike R wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:06 pm
Peter C. wrote: February 5th, 2021, 1:25 pm
Mike R wrote: February 5th, 2021, 12:12 pm Was going to buy it just for the free shipping, but looked like $29/case for me, so skipping this one.
$2.50ish/btl shipping stopped you from buying something you'd otherwise buy? [scratch.gif]
I wasn't going to buy it originally, but the thought of getting a "deal" with free shipping would have pushed me to buy.
Got ya.
( z y ® y ( @

ChrisWolff

#8360 Post by ChrisWolff »

Regarding the source of 74, 75, 101 and 102- can someone remind me why we crossed off L’ecole as a potential option? Thanks

<hr!s.L

#8361 Post by <hr!s.L »

ChrisWolff wrote: February 6th, 2021, 9:43 am Regarding the source of 74, 75, 101 and 102- can someone remind me why we crossed off L’ecole as a potential option? Thanks
N.74, 75, 97, 98, 99, 101, 102 and 105 are all very likely the same producer. Off the top of my head I remember N.97, 99, 101 and 105 having especially strong evidence as being Cougar Crest. (By association this would mean 74, 75, 98 and 102 can also be definitively ruled as "very likely Cougar Crest" as well.) So it's not necessarily evidence against L'ecole per se - at least not that I'm aware of - as much as it is an abundance of convincing evidence in favor of Cougar Crest as the source.

For N.97 Cam describes Viognier as "the wineries (sic) signature white." Cougar Crest does as well. Price points match as well.
https://www.cougarcrestwinery.com/shop/ ... -viognier/

N.101 has the WS scores aligned with Cam's timeline, the price point (historically around $40 though now dropped to $36), and location as Cam states the CF is "sourced from the producers estate vineyard just a stones throw from the legendary Seven Hills Vineyard"
Toby P wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 3:39 pm Looks like the Cab Franc #101 is also Cougar Crest - score history here lines up very well, the home page of the website also says "stone's throw from the site of the original Seven Hills Vineyard"

https://www.cougarcrestwinery.com/awards/cabenet-franc/

74 (and 75) and 99 are from the same producer.
https://www.denegoce.com/products/og-n- ... 7996483750

Some evidence 99 is likely Cougar Crest:
<hr!s.L wrote: January 10th, 2021, 3:06 pm
Points for Cougar Crest as the source:
- Walla Walla Washington based winery with an estate vineyard in The Rocks District
- CC offer a Syrah and Reserve Syrah that loosely match the price points ($34 and $55) of 74 and 99
- This particular wine has been available at a hefty discount before, somewhat recently. In 2019 there was a casemates offer for Cougar Crest Reserve Syrah 2013/2014 split case for $199 plus shipping ($16.67/bottle pre-shipping).
- The CM offer revealed the reserve Syrah is a vineyard designate bottling (Noble Rock Vineyard, The Rocks District of Milton Freewater)
- Lastly, there are similar tasting notes:

Tasting notes from the CM offer
“... Blueberry, blackberry, soy and earthy truffles flood the senses. Rich viscosity and fine-grained tannins coat the palate wrapping smoky arms around a long powerful finish.”

Tasting notes from DN offer, n.99
“...Meaty aromas of blueberry, blackberry and smoky rock...with an unctuous viscosity well supported by fine tannins. Blueberry and smoky chocolate ride to glory on a long, lip-smacking, umami-driven finish.”

https://casemates.com/forum/topics/coug ... erve-syrah
One other possible clue I just discovered about N.99 being Cougar Crest - though it may be pure coincidence - is this little detail from their website: "There is also a small block of Clone 99 Syrah that we grew from cuttings"

Lastly, though no one's asking, N. 105 has Cam's line "the vineyard is planted in the massive cobblestone washouts of the Rocks District of Milton Freewater, where you can dig for 40-50 feet and still hit rock." From Cougar Crest's website page for their Cougar Hills Vineyard: "Digging 40-50 feet below the surface we could not find the bottom of this river rock." Other details align (price point, produced is select years, probably more) but I don't think any more digging is necessary.

I haven't triple-checked every last bit of the above information, but I think it is all pretty accurate. Hope this helps
L @ n g l 0 i s

ChrisWolff

#8362 Post by ChrisWolff »

<hr!s.L wrote: February 6th, 2021, 11:08 am
ChrisWolff wrote: February 6th, 2021, 9:43 am Regarding the source of 74, 75, 101 and 102- can someone remind me why we crossed off L’ecole as a potential option? Thanks
N.74, 75, 97, 98, 99, 101, 102 and 105 are all very likely the same producer. Off the top of my head I remember N.97, 99, 101 and 105 having especially strong evidence as being Cougar Crest. (By association this would mean 74, 75, 98 and 102 can also be definitively ruled as "very likely Cougar Crest" as well.) So it's not necessarily evidence against L'ecole per se - at least not that I'm aware of - as much as it is an abundance of convincing evidence in favor of Cougar Crest as the source.

For N.97 Cam describes Viognier as "the wineries (sic) signature white." Cougar Crest does as well. Price points match as well.
https://www.cougarcrestwinery.com/shop/ ... -viognier/

N.101 has the WS scores aligned with Cam's timeline, the price point (historically around $40 though now dropped to $36), and location as Cam states the CF is "sourced from the producers estate vineyard just a stones throw from the legendary Seven Hills Vineyard"
Toby P wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 3:39 pm Looks like the Cab Franc #101 is also Cougar Crest - score history here lines up very well, the home page of the website also says "stone's throw from the site of the original Seven Hills Vineyard"

https://www.cougarcrestwinery.com/awards/cabenet-franc/

74 (and 75) and 99 are from the same producer.
https://www.denegoce.com/products/og-n- ... 7996483750

Some evidence 99 is likely Cougar Crest:
<hr!s.L wrote: January 10th, 2021, 3:06 pm
Points for Cougar Crest as the source:
- Walla Walla Washington based winery with an estate vineyard in The Rocks District
- CC offer a Syrah and Reserve Syrah that loosely match the price points ($34 and $55) of 74 and 99
- This particular wine has been available at a hefty discount before, somewhat recently. In 2019 there was a casemates offer for Cougar Crest Reserve Syrah 2013/2014 split case for $199 plus shipping ($16.67/bottle pre-shipping).
- The CM offer revealed the reserve Syrah is a vineyard designate bottling (Noble Rock Vineyard, The Rocks District of Milton Freewater)
- Lastly, there are similar tasting notes:

Tasting notes from the CM offer
“... Blueberry, blackberry, soy and earthy truffles flood the senses. Rich viscosity and fine-grained tannins coat the palate wrapping smoky arms around a long powerful finish.”

Tasting notes from DN offer, n.99
“...Meaty aromas of blueberry, blackberry and smoky rock...with an unctuous viscosity well supported by fine tannins. Blueberry and smoky chocolate ride to glory on a long, lip-smacking, umami-driven finish.”

https://casemates.com/forum/topics/coug ... erve-syrah
One other possible clue I just discovered about N.99 being Cougar Crest - though it may be pure coincidence - is this little detail from their website: "There is also a small block of Clone 99 Syrah that we grew from cuttings"

Lastly, though no one's asking, N. 105 has Cam's line "the vineyard is planted in the massive cobblestone washouts of the Rocks District of Milton Freewater, where you can dig for 40-50 feet and still hit rock." From Cougar Crest's website page for their Cougar Hills Vineyard: "Digging 40-50 feet below the surface we could not find the bottom of this river rock." Other details align (price point, produced is select years, probably more) but I don't think any more digging is necessary.

I haven't triple-checked every last bit of the above information, but I think it is all pretty accurate. Hope this helps
That’s very good work. Thanks!

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8363 Post by ekwartler »

This could be very interesting. $8/bottle is solid if you're a Carignane person.

Fresh and vibrant despite having 32-months in barrel, this gorgeous Carignane has pretty, Pinot-like fruit characteristics but with Old World, Italia-style structure.

Bold and juicy yet complex and elegant, it hails from 80- to 90-year-old, head-trained Carignane vines from Piffero and Bartolomei vineyards on the rocky eastern benches of Redwood Valley in Mendocino County. The producer is one of the stalwarts of the region and knows the Mendocino county dirt better than anyone. The wine retails just south of $30/bottle out of the tasting room and is an absolute steal at $8/bottle.

Terrific and, I will bet, surprising quality. In fact, I think this might be the perfect wine to spring on guests - will make you as cool as hell.

Get yourself a nice big bowl to enjoy the beautiful aromas. Medium purple in the glass. Powdered lavender and rose petal spring from the glass, underpinned with warm brown sugar notes from the extended barrel time. Wild berry bramble, walnut husk, and graham cracker round out the glorious bouquet. Beautifully balanced on entry with a soft, medium-body delivering raspberry, anise and sage spice against a firm yet well-integrated structure. Juicy and chewy across the mid-palate with a long, pristine finish. The purity of fruit here is truly compelling.

98% Carignane, 2% Merlot, 100% Mendocino County
Sourced from Piffero and Bartholomei vineyards 80-90-year-old, head-trained vines
14% alc.
400 cases available
Bottled November 13th, 2020
E r i c

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8364 Post by Nate Simon »

I’m so weak. Bit on the Carignane.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8365 Post by larry schaffer »

32 months in oak for Carignane? Kinda crazy . . . And I too love the variety as well!!

Cheers
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8366 Post by Robert M yers »

Love carignane too, so I took a flyer.

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8367 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Carignane is typically very floral, light in color- winery I worked at had some Ancient Vines we made as a single varietal or used to boost some floral notes on a Rhone blend.
One Mendocino producer who knows "best dirt" around that county is Parducci.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8368 Post by Nate Simon »

Yeah, I thought 32 months sounded interesting/peculiar. Looking forward to trying it. Bottled in November, so might be decent on arrival.

Kevin N

#8369 Post by Kevin N »

Carignane is a good fun grape. $8 is a really good deal. I'm holding out strong for now, but I have a feeling that those that bite on this one will be pleased that they did.
Nieminen

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8370 Post by ekwartler »

Damn it...in for one. Gotta put up a line of defense to protect the $15+ DN wines.
E r i c

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8371 Post by Rodrigo B »

ekwartler wrote: February 6th, 2021, 1:59 pm Damn it...in for one. Gotta put up a line of defense to protect the $15+ DN wines.
When you buy cellar defenders for your cellar defenders [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]
B r @ g @

M@ttM00re

#8372 Post by M@ttM00re »

[swearing.gif] [cry.gif] Sold out in the time it took me to check out... I was looking forward to this one.

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8373 Post by ekwartler »

Rodrigo B wrote: February 6th, 2021, 2:03 pm
ekwartler wrote: February 6th, 2021, 1:59 pm Damn it...in for one. Gotta put up a line of defense to protect the $15+ DN wines.
When you buy cellar defenders for your cellar defenders [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]
Hell yeah, especially when this one might actually be ready to drink within a couple weeks of arrival. Gotta put in the second string while the starters are on the IL.
E r i c

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8374 Post by Cameron Hughes »

M@ttM00re wrote: February 6th, 2021, 2:13 pm [swearing.gif] [cry.gif] Sold out in the time it took me to check out... I was looking forward to this one.
I just added a few hundred cases...stronger demand than I thought :-)

Jeff O
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8375 Post by Jeff O »

Cameron Hughes wrote: February 6th, 2021, 2:36 pm
M@ttM00re wrote: February 6th, 2021, 2:13 pm [swearing.gif] [cry.gif] Sold out in the time it took me to check out... I was looking forward to this one.
Awesome - thanks!! Heading to the checkout now . . .
0 w 3 n $

Bob Chapman

#8376 Post by Bob Chapman »

You guys are STILL babbling about shipping? God, I merely flew to CA and got what I needed. Shipped it home. I know what it is. I don’t drink 5 bottles of wine like the mega buyers in this thread, but if you need the sauce, there’s Scotch for a refined palate and bourbon for the newbie. As in bad wine, oak cures all.

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8377 Post by Luca Giupponi »

larry schaffer wrote: February 6th, 2021, 1:18 pm 32 months in oak for Carignane? Kinda crazy . . . And I too love the variety as well!!

Cheers
Do we have any info on whether if it’s new oak or otherwise? (And by “we” I mean Cam who’s always lurking on here).

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8378 Post by Cameron Hughes »

Luca Giupponi wrote: February 6th, 2021, 3:30 pm
larry schaffer wrote: February 6th, 2021, 1:18 pm 32 months in oak for Carignane? Kinda crazy . . . And I too love the variety as well!!

Cheers
Do we have any info on whether if it’s new oak or otherwise? (And by “we” I mean Cam who’s always lurking on here).
Hi Luca - good question, forgot to include that. I usually get that info but didn't in this case...I am guessing 15-20% new French but let me reach out and check for sure. Back soon...I hope.

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8379 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

Kevin N wrote: February 6th, 2021, 1:58 pm Carignane is a good fun grape. $8 is a really good deal. I'm holding out strong for now, but I have a feeling that those that bite on this one will be pleased that they did.
I took a case. I have had old vine Carignane from Mendo before and really liked the wine. Too inexpensive to pass, I’ll check on this case this summer too.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

M@ttM00re

#8380 Post by M@ttM00re »

Cameron Hughes wrote: February 6th, 2021, 2:36 pm
Thank you sir, just picked up a case. I really appreciate the heads-up on the re-up.
Last edited by M@ttM00re on February 6th, 2021, 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8381 Post by Michael Martin »

I’ve had old vine Carignan from this area before. At $8/bottle. No brainer.

James Mc

#8382 Post by James Mc »

After not buying for several months, pulled trigger on carignan. Nice to see more interesting things besides cabs
McCormick Seasonings

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8383 Post by Nate Simon »

James Mc wrote: February 6th, 2021, 7:10 pm After not buying for several months, pulled trigger on carignan. Nice to see more interesting things besides cabs
Agreed. That was a factor.

Craig Pichette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8384 Post by Craig Pichette »

I was late to the de Negoce game, but think it is sort of fun. I won't disclose the ridiculous amount I've bought over the last few months. I've had a few cases delivered. Have tried 4 so far:

Positive

No. 16 Sauv Blanc. I'm not as wild about this wine as some have been, but it's a solid summer patio sipper. I'd buy more at the price.
No. 25 Spring Mountain Cab. Very young and restrained. Profile is very typical of Napa Cab. Needs more time. Come back to it in a year or two, but it will be good with some evolution.
No. 68 Sonoma Cab. Blueberry, mocha, chocolate milkshake. Very fruit forward and big. Great if you like this style. Huge bargain. This is drinkable now if you want.

Neutral

No. 19 Santa Cruz Pinot Noir. Young. Maybe bottle shocked. Needs time. Too early to tell. Will let it sit a year or two.

Overall, I've been very happy with these, particularly at the price. A lot of the fun of this is the guess work and trying to figure out if it's a deal or not. I can't wait for the weather to warm up enough so I can get the one or two dozen cases of other stuff I've ordered. I probably need to find some discipline and not buy as much. I have more Walla Walla Cabs coming than I've ever drunk in my life...

rsmithjr

#8385 Post by rsmithjr »

Zinfandel release today???? Goes with the BIG GAME theme....
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8386 Post by larry schaffer »

Carignane is still available - I would be tempted to purchase but just don't do full cases, regardless of price. Hoping to try this one and compare to the others I've had - and to the one that I produce as well . . .

Cheers
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8387 Post by Luca Giupponi »

larry schaffer wrote: February 7th, 2021, 7:23 am Carignane is still available - I would be tempted to purchase but just don't do full cases, regardless of price. Hoping to try this one and compare to the others I've had - and to the one that I produce as well . . .

Cheers
I’ll swap you some for some of your rosé [snort.gif]

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8388 Post by Michael Martin »

The offerings are getting interesting again based on variety alone. I bought 1,2,11 and 15 - cab, cab, cab, Merlot, then I hit the pause button because the subsequent releases were all so relatively similar or things I just didn’t want a case of, no matter how cheap. I picked up the Zin at 93 and now the Carignane.

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8389 Post by Eric White »

larry schaffer wrote: February 7th, 2021, 7:23 am Carignane is still available - I would be tempted to purchase but just don't do full cases, regardless of price. Hoping to try this one and compare to the others I've had - and to the one that I produce as well . . .

Cheers
Larry, surely someone here is local enough to split a case with you! I would do it in a heartbeat if our paths were likely to cross any time soon [cheers.gif]

greg gartland

#8390 Post by greg gartland »

jumped on the carignane and the pinot (I think it was OG125?) that came in under 13% abv. the 15+% bottles just are not for me. looking forward to trying these. fun prroject, just wish I didn't have to make a full case decision within 5 minutes.

john mccarty

#8391 Post by john mccarty »

Preamble Hazard?

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8392 Post by Mike R »

Mike R wrote: January 28th, 2021, 6:43 am My experience so far...

Exceptional:
N.40 Diamond Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon
N.23 2019 Napa Carneros Chardonnay
N.16 2019 Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc

Positive:
N.50 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon (x3)
N.19 Santa Cruz Pinot Noir
N.36 2018 Sonoma "Altitude" Chardonnay
N.62 2019 Russian River Valley Chardonnay

Neutral:
N.25 Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon
N.24 2019 Napa Carneros Pinot Noir

Negative:
N.14 Sierra Foothills Rose
N.12 2018 Napa Valley Chardonnay (x2)
N.21 2018 Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauvignon

Still pending:
N. 77 (x2)
N. 100 (x2)
N. 82
N. 87
Tried a 12 hour decant on No. 21 last night / today. Put it in the decanter around 9pm, and this morning poured it back into the bottle and put it into the fridge to get it to cellar temp. Just had a glass and it was delicious. I recant my negative on N. 21, and would now call it a positive.

Also, I missed this one before, but also had a positive experience on N. 25.
... 0 p 3 r

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8393 Post by Michael Martin »

john mccarty wrote: February 7th, 2021, 12:37 pm Preamble Hazard?
If it is and it’s from Poor Ranch vineyard, it should be like the Princess and Peasant Carignane from Berserker Days of the past. That stuff was great.

<hr!s.L

#8394 Post by <hr!s.L »

The closest match I can find is Calder, which doesn't exactly fit but shares a few notable similarities, namely sourcing from two different old vine Redwood Valley vineyards and the unusually long barrel time.

From Calder's website (http://calder.securecheckout.com/produc ... CCN16.html):

- sourced from two old vine vineyards on "the eastern bench of Redwood Valley"
- barrel time: "The two lots aged separately in 11% new oak for 12 months before blending, then aged a further 24 months
together before being bottled on October 23rd, 2019" (I believe Cam hazarded a guess of 15 - 20% new oak)
- $28 price point, 2016 is the most recent vintage released
- article from 2013 lists Carignane case production at 600 (http://www.napawineproject.com/calder-wine-company/)

The main problem is the vineyards cited from Calder do not match the names of the one's Cam listed and they are 70 and 80 years old as opposed to 80 and 90, so I suppose the only way this works is if Calder switched sources for the 2017 vintage.

Other details: Calder does not have a physical winery or estate. The 2016 vintage has an ABV of 14.8%. The 2012 had one of 13.4%. Also the owner / winemaker Rory (Calder) Williams' parents co-founded Frog's Leap and his mother founded Tres Sabores. From what I've read he grew up in the wine business and has worked in the growing / production side of it his whole adult life. I don't think that necessarily fits with Cam's line "The producer is one of the stalwarts of the region and knows the Mendocino county dirt better than anyone."

So I'd say probably not Calder, but interesting similarities. If anything can be derived from this overlap it might be that Calder's Carignane is well loved and if N.135 is from a similar style and source, along with Cam's unbridled enthusiasm, there is legitimate cause for hope this one will be another winner.
L @ n g l 0 i s

J. Patrick Lynch

#8395 Post by J. Patrick Lynch »

Jeff O wrote: February 5th, 2021, 6:19 pm Here are the two running lists that I'm aware of:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RSFyXniPo8qCAfneEJdjL2GFAmwCw0rKlRjUkKbtbOs/edit

https://denegociants.com/
I also recently updated my sheet. Sorry, but not much info for the wines I wasn't really interested in.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Happy to grant permission for anyone that would like to fill in the blanks.
J @ c k

Jonah P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8396 Post by Jonah P »

Since nobody chimed in to tell me what numbers are drinking well now (I guess you have to bitch about shipping to get any love on this forum [cry.gif] ), we just grabbed whatever cabs were handy. I've been buying with one other guy and we stopped counting, but we're around 80 cases which turns out to be enough to overwhelm the wine storage and non wine storage of two large homes. Despite all the buying I'd only tried 3 to date (25 was the only red). Based on the totality of the reviews here and on CT my guess was that, while the huge purchase was not a disaster, there was a good chance that we'd bought way too much $30 wine for $18. That would be a very bad outcome for me. I already had plenty of wine before DN, I don't host large events, and it's hard to give away wine with an unknown label. Before I get accused of completely burying the lead, let me just say that this tasting of 12 cabs has totally put my fears to rest. I'll get to what we drank, but for those of you who don't want to waste time with a long post, here are the highlights. The quality of the wine was high across the board. There were real differences between the wines. Many of them were very drinkable at this early date. In short, all four tasters felt the wines overall exceeded their highest expectations going in. This appears to be exactly what we were hoping for, which was wine that somebody made with the intention of selling for way more than the DN price and then puked out due to market forces. Finally, this has not been a popular undertaking with the wives associated with the project (no need to rehash the possibly sexist implications there), about 2/3 of the way through one of those wives asked if we would be able to buy any more of these now. I really can't think of a better thumbs up than that. Now for the two caveats, while everyone there drinks a lot of wine and knows what they like, no one is in the habit of taking detailed notes. Also my wife and I recently recovered from Covid and haven't fully recovered our sense of smell/taste (if anything I think the wines would be more exciting with a full palate). Below are the wines ready to be tasted. They were all decanted and then recanted to breathe in the bottle for 3 more hours.
IMG_7316.jpg
Below are spotty notes for the 12 wines. We drank them in numerical order for lack of a better plan.

N.17 Napa Cab- Strong yes for all, bold, in your face, but with some structure.
N.40 Diamond Mt Cab - Much more refined, silky tannins, tastes expensive and outstanding IMO, but a bit boring compared to 17 for others
N.41 St Helena Cab - Another crowd favorite, drinks like a classier 17, people kept going back to this one
N.42 St Helena Cab - OK, the haters have a point here, does have a bit of that Caymus candy thing going on here, but is that a problem? My wife loves Caymus, as does almost everyone who comes over as do I 3 or 4 times a year. If you don't need a case of this in your house, you're way to cool for me and your friends are snobs.
N.43 Napa Cab - Solid, but doesn't hold up to 17 and 41. This is the first wine that just doesn't seem ready to drink.
N.46 Atlas Peak Cab - I think this was thought to be Robert Craig. I've had a fair bit of Affinity and I don't like them too young (drinking '08s now). I can believe this is Robert Craig, which is exciting since I haven't had too many of the supposed source wines here and it's nice to maintain the fantasy of where we think these are from. I think this will be very good, but it isn't right now. Jammy and tight.
N.59 Mt Veeder Cab - Not a crown favorite, but one of my top wines of the bunch for drinking now. Very smooth, just not sure how much better this will get.
N.64 Calistoga Hillside Cab - Seemed tannic and closed at first, but really came around with some additional time in the glass. This drinks like a serious wine and has quite a bit of upside IMO
N.71 Calistoga Hillside Cab - WOTN? Not sure on the upside here, but definitely drinking well today. Another wine that got many revisits after the initial tasting was done.
N.80 Napa Valley Reserve Cab - This was a last minute addition after the two postings about how great it was right off the truck. That was not our experience. We were all waiting for a dud and this was as close as we got. It just tasted like nothing. I am not writing it off by any means. I haven't opened a cab three days after it arrived in ten years.
N.81 Atlas Bench Cab - I think we're all tired, but this isn't getting any love either. Nothing wrong with it, just not something anyone wanted to drink today with all the other choices on the tables.

I'm sorry that we didn't score anything, but if we had, everything would have been in the 90-93 range with the exception of #80, which we wouldn't have scored. I can't overemphasize how impressed we all were. Cam, if you're out there, bravo. Clearly if I'm in for ~40 cases, I had somewhat high expectations. They have been exceeded. I think it's worth noting how unboring it was to drink these 12 California cabs in succession. We are clearly going to be drinking these often and for a long time. If they all were all alike, that would really get old. There's been some debate here and with my buying partner about these wines vs. WA NDA. Our thought so far was that the WA might be a bit better, maybe enough to justify the higher cost. At this point I am very glad that I have way more DN in the cellar. The WA wines are really good, but at least at this point they taste like they all came out of the same kitchen. That would be a problem for me.

I still plan to ignore most of these for the next two years and I do think many of them will shut down soon, but as someone who was starting to dread the UPS shipping notifications, I am just thrilled with what I have. I've bought two cases today already. You guys sold me on 135 and now I have to buy the hype when Cam suggests this is the best Syrah yet. I'm a fan.
Last edited by Jonah P on February 8th, 2021, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
J o n a h P e t c h e s k y

tpetty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8397 Post by tpetty »

Oh yeah. Deep Paso, baby. The Adelaida District lies west of highway 101 and Paso Robles and its rocky, calcareous soils, high-elevation and ocean proximity make it some the best terroir in the region.

This Westside gem is one of the best Syrah's I've ever sourced, anywhere. Last years vintage scored a 94 from one of the major pubs with past vintages scoring between 92 and 94 from various other major publications (I'd love to tell you who buts it just too obvious) and the wine sells for $40+.

Deep purple and fairly opaque. The nose is gorgeous, redolent with pretty pastille, powdered violet, and a pure beam of boysenberry surrounded with ethereal earthen tones and anchored with bacon fat. On the palate, layer after layer of meaty blue fruit, baking spice and wet stone are wrapped in silky elegance but finish with a chewy grip of dark, earthy berry. All the pieces are there but I would let this integrate a bit more and wait until June before cracking this beauty.

100% Syrah, 100% Estate, 100% Adelaida District
20-25% new French oak
14.4% alc.
350 cases available
Bottled December 11, 2020
T o d d P

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8398 Post by Brandon R »

Nice updated, Jonah, thank you. Great to hear. I really like that wooden box you've got in the photo there...very cool.
B. Redman

tpetty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8399 Post by tpetty »

I got a case. Yep, don't need it, buy well regarded syrah for $13 seems reasonable to me!
T o d d P

J. Patrick Lynch

#8400 Post by J. Patrick Lynch »

Jonah P wrote: February 8th, 2021, 10:02 am You guys sold me on 135 and now I have to buy the hype when Cam suggests this is the best Syrah yet. I'm a fan.
Halter Ranch?
J @ c k

Return to “Wine Talk”