de Negoce offer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
ChrisWolff

Re: de Negoce offer

#7751 Post by ChrisWolff »

L Harris wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 1:28 pm General store news is interesting! Many have been asking for mixed cases and it looks like we will get it - at least for wines where he has excess inventory after the case sales
Yeah very happy to see this and interested to see what pricing and options look like

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7752 Post by Robert M yers »

Adam Piper wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 6:42 pm Does anyone know if the DeNegoce is sourced from the same vineyards CHwines sourced from?

I’m curious if #70 is from the same Chehalem Mtn source as CH Lot 677.

If so, I’m going to a side by side of them once 70 matures and is out of bottle shock.

Did anyone do a sleuthing of the sources of the CH wines? Lots 677 and 678 became our table wines during CoVID and the only juice my wife authorized multiple cases.

If I broke the rules by mixing Cameron Hughes negoce marriages, my apologies
There was a lot of sleuthing when CH was run by Cameron Hughes. Once it was sold the aura seemed to fade. Since the namesake isn’t involved I’m pretty sure there can be no connection to wines here.

Adam Piper

#7753 Post by Adam Piper »

Thanks. I stumbled onto this site via the namesake post sale. I assumed Cameron was somehow still slightly involved given the Cam Confidential videos. I’ll be interested to see how those continue with DeN.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7754 Post by MatthewT »

I'd buy dN gift cards if it was a $200 for $20
I'm a Turk

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7755 Post by Nate Simon »

Rutherford Bench Cab sounds intriguing, but not sure about wanting to pull the trigger on a wine I won’t even receive for 9+ months, and won’t be drinking for >2 years.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7756 Post by MatthewT »

I got #100. May shipping, 2019 Cab, kind of no brainer for a cult member.
I'm a Turk

Rohit B

#7757 Post by Rohit B »

In for a case of #100
13 h @ n

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7758 Post by Eric White »

clicked purchase without even reading the description first :D

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7759 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

In for 1 case. Hard to justify going for a second without knowing anything about the producer.

Nicholas C

#7760 Post by Nicholas C »

Slowed down my de Negoce purchases recently but went in for no. 100. Good chance this will be quality due to being the centennial release.

I’m ok with it not being delivered for a while. Saves me on storage space!
[ 0 0 p 3 r

RandyF.

#7761 Post by RandyF. »

OG N.100 2019 Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon 12-bottle case SHIPS MAY 2021
Price$192.00
The Cabernet's of the Rutherford Bench have long been amongst my favorites for their chiseled frames, ethereal elegance, and gorgeous fruit achieving a near-perfect balance of structure, texture and weight.

OG N.100 comes to us from one of the true icon's of the Rutherford. The estate is located at the southern end of the appellation, yet in the heart of the Oakville and Rutherford Bench complex of alluvial fans that drain out of the Maycamas Mountains. Here twenty-foot-deep, well-drained, gravelly as well as volcanic soils produce small clusters of intense fruit long considered the Grand Cru of Napa Valley. Prices at the winery start at well over $100/bottle but today's offering of OG N.100 2019 Rutherford Cabernet is yours for only $16/bottle, $192/case.

As it is a 2019 Cabernet (purchased last summer just before the fires hit), I've arranged with the producer to keep the wine in barrel until early May 2021 when it goes into the bottle (and will ship to you shortly thereafter, weather permitting). The wine is currently composed of 100% Cabernet but we have purchased small lots of other blending components from the same producer (also in barrel) and we will assemble the final blend next year.

Dark ruby in the glass, a shade off of opaque. The nose is archetypal Rutherford, gorgeously ethereal and energetic with raspberry and cherry fruit dancing with damson plum and the quintessential Rutherford Dust. Decadent dark fruits swim below while a kiss of maple syrup sweetens the purple lilac top notes. Elegantly structured and beautifully balanced on the palate with the supple red fruits melded nicely onto minerally tannins that unwind to show the darker fruit notes underneath. The wine has fantastic weight to it and unfurls beautifully on your palate despite its youth. Should age beautifully for another 15 to 20 years.

100% Estate Cabernet
40% new French oak
14.8% currently but will change slightly after final blend
850 cases available
Anticipated bottling date early May, 2021
F 1 n 1 3 y

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7762 Post by Luca Giupponi »

Eric White wrote: December 27th, 2020, 9:31 am clicked purchase without even reading the description first :D
Buy first, ask questions later 😂

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7763 Post by Alan Newman »

I'm asking myself: do I trust Cameron to do a blend that is worth the price. It's not the same wine that the winery sells. And I have plenty of de Negoce in my cellar, so I can be more selective. Was also surprised Cameron wasn't more effusive, given it is #100.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7764 Post by MatthewT »

He has already sold over half in just about 10 minutes. Just about 400 cases remain.

I think that speaks volumes about the question that's been asked in this forum, namely, most people in this thread are just full of dN wine not that they are disappointed with the quality.

Being able to buy a 2019 Cab that was secured pre fires during COVID has the same value proposition the earlier offers had. Plus, many of his will have freed up a lot of storage space by May/June!
I'm a Turk

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7765 Post by MatthewT »

Alan Newman wrote: December 27th, 2020, 9:38 am I'm asking myself: do I trust Cameron to do a blend that is worth the price. It's not the same wine that the winery sells. And I have plenty of de Negoce in my cellar, so I can be more selective. Was also surprised Cameron wasn't more effusive, given it is #100.
I think the "winery blend $100 for $20" are pretty much gone. He might have some more 2019s he has secured and maybe smaller lots and thus not worthy of a #100 number.
I'm a Turk

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7766 Post by Eric White »

I think this one is going to be nearly impossible to guess the source, there are so many possibilities, and so few clues...

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#7767 Post by Rodrigo B »

Was saving ammo for BD and any OR wines Cam has upcoming but like any cult member, I'd be remiss if I passed on #100
B r @ g @

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7768 Post by MatthewT »

Now 624 left so Cam re-loaded, lol. I have no idea what the # was when it went up for sale, I only looked 10 min later.
I'm a Turk

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7769 Post by mattcitrang »

What are these blending components Cam speaks of?
Ace Citrang10

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7770 Post by Mike R »

Grabbed #100, which will be my last purchase of private label wines for a long long time (unless #40 or #23 come back up). I have over 20 cases already, with a few more coming soon, and no where to put them. That said, I couldn’t pass on #100.
... 0 p 3 r

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7771 Post by MatthewT »

mattcitrang wrote: December 27th, 2020, 9:48 am What are these blending components Cam speaks of?
I think other cab from the same winery...cause why else would he say 100% cab at the bottom?
I'm a Turk

Jidhin R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7772 Post by Jidhin R. »

In for 1. I've been wanting a bit more Napa Cab and at this price it's pretty solid. I've been very happy with N40 and have to still try the N50 I got. Also happy with the delivery next year, due to space and hopefully better integration with the oak given more time. Wish there was more details on the possible winery
Blips and Chitz!!!

Ramankutty

RandyF.

#7773 Post by RandyF. »

I went in for one, FOMO.
F 1 n 1 3 y

Rohit B

#7774 Post by Rohit B »

Had a different Rutherford wine recently and didn’t like it. Hopefully this is much better. Second guessing the purchase now.
13 h @ n

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7775 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

Anyone else mildly concerned with all of the shipping issues combined with this likely shipping as temps increase?

ScottieB

#7776 Post by ScottieB »

Eric White wrote: December 27th, 2020, 9:41 am I think this one is going to be nearly impossible to guess the source, there are so many possibilities, and so few clues...
My guess is Beaulieu perhaps from their Georges Latour vineyards. It’s south end of Rutherford Bench, BV is an Icon, and the price point is over $100.
B e c k m a n

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7777 Post by Len Stevens »

Like a lot of Beserkers, I too had slowed down my buying, but couldn't turn this down. This was case #25 for the record.

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7778 Post by Eric White »

ScottieB wrote: December 27th, 2020, 9:59 am
Eric White wrote: December 27th, 2020, 9:41 am I think this one is going to be nearly impossible to guess the source, there are so many possibilities, and so few clues...
My guess is Beaulieu perhaps from their Georges Latour vineyards. It’s south end of Rutherford Bench, BV is an Icon, and the price point is over $100.
Certainly a reasonable guess!

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7779 Post by Mark Morrissette »

...in the heart of the Oakville and Rutherford Bench complex of alluvial fans that drain out of the Maycamas Mountains.
Anyone else read more about "alluvial fans" in the last 9 months than they ever thought possible?

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7780 Post by Kevin Patrick »

To my thinking, these are the group to choose amongst:

"Among the wineries to be found in that rather small tract of real estate (Rutherford Bench) are Beaulieu, Inglenook, Niebaum-Coppola, Grgich Hills, Far Niente and Vichon; vineyard properties include the renowned Martha’s Vineyard and Bella Oaks Vineyard, whose grapes are used by Heitz Cellars, the Bosche Vineyard, which supplies Freemark Abbey, and parcels owned by the Robert Mondavi, Pine Ridge and Joseph Phelps wineries.”"
https://vinous.com/articles/the-rutherf ... s-sep-2016

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7781 Post by HoosJustinG »

When I read this I thought about Inglenook. Maybe Grgich Hills too... BV is another option I didn’t think of but does fit.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

michael_holmstrom

#7782 Post by michael_holmstrom »

When he says "Prices at the winery start at well over $100/bottle " I wonder if that means every wine they produce or just their Cab's. That could help narrow things down depending on the interpretation. There are not too many who sell wines only over $100.

JonathanG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#7783 Post by JonathanG »

In for a case. Hard to skip #100.

The BV guess just made me think about how the 2016 george latour BV is constantly on sale and on discount websites for $100. But BV sells a lot of wine for less than 100. Unless perhaps they overdid production for the george latour 2016 and realized its not selling how they had hoped, and offered some 2019 to Cam.
J0|\|@+h@|\| Gr@h/\/\/-\|\||\|

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7784 Post by DanielP »

There's really nothing in the email that definitively says that this wine actually would sell for $100+ at the winery.
P@ik

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#7785 Post by Rodrigo B »

From Cam's email: "A sublime Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon from one of the Icon Estates of Napa Valley"

Icon Estates is Constellation Brands fine wine division. Thoughts on this offer coming from a winery in that portfolio?
B r @ g @

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7786 Post by Toby P »

Can't be BV, they have plenty of wines (including cabs) that start well below $100
P r a t t

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7787 Post by Kevin Patrick »

Constellation owns Mondavi.

The Grand Cru of Napa is To Kalon ...
https://www.winespectator.com/video/pla ... r+To+Kalon

From Mondavi's own site:
'the To Kalon Vineyard was named ‘Vineyard of the Year’ by the California State Farm Bureau, and the site continues to hold a special grand cru status in the Napa Valley.'
https://www.robertmondaviwinery.com/to- ... -sauvignon

saul_cooperstein

#7788 Post by saul_cooperstein »

Anyone know if any other Rutherford wines that have used lilac and maple syrup in their tasting notes...those seem to be the most unique components and given tasting note alignment in past, perhaps the best clues

JBucholz

#7789 Post by JBucholz »

FWIW, The southernmost vineyard along Bella Oaks Lane in the Rutherford AVA is owned by Beaulieu.
J 1 M

cnalda
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7790 Post by cnalda »

+1 for BV. $100+ for GdL.
https://rutherforddust.org/wp-content/u ... nce_OL.jpg
In for 1 regardless......
Carlos Nalda
Formerly ITB....

Matt N
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7791 Post by Matt N »

Well, inventory lasted too long... i broke down and ordered one case. Funny how the first thought after ordering one is, “should this be a two case order?” Fomo is a funny thing..
M. N1k0

Kyle S chaffer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7792 Post by Kyle S chaffer »

I resisted. Quite proud of myself. Even though it does sound good....

JBucholz

#7793 Post by JBucholz »

saul_cooperstein wrote: December 27th, 2020, 12:01 pm Anyone know if any other Rutherford wines that have used lilac and maple syrup in their tasting notes...those seem to be the most unique components and given tasting note alignment in past, perhaps the best clues
The Beckstoffer Georges III vineyard is known for its mapley notes. It also is located on the southern border of the Rutherford AVA on the east side. The vineyard was formerly owned by BV.
Last edited by JBucholz on December 27th, 2020, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J 1 M

ScottieB

#7794 Post by ScottieB »

cnalda wrote: December 27th, 2020, 12:12 pm +1 for BV. $100+ for GdL.
https://rutherforddust.org/wp-content/u ... nce_OL.jpg
In for 1 regardless......
Seems like BV or Inglenook
B e c k m a n

Kevin B

#7795 Post by Kevin B »

Having only found DN recently, I've only bought 11 cases, and have received 5. I decided yesterday that unless something really special came up, like No 100, I was holding off. Having it not getting here until May or June should help out the storage issue.
Beswick

Br1an Th0rne
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#7796 Post by Br1an Th0rne »

Gave away a couple of mixed cases of de Negoce for Christmas presents. Haven’t been impressed with any of them, but my mom and sister thought they were just fine!

RandyF.

#7797 Post by RandyF. »

#100 looks sold out.
F 1 n 1 3 y

cnalda
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7798 Post by cnalda »

JBucholz wrote: December 27th, 2020, 12:40 pm
saul_cooperstein wrote: December 27th, 2020, 12:01 pm Anyone know if any other Rutherford wines that have used lilac and maple syrup in their tasting notes...those seem to be the most unique components and given tasting note alignment in past, perhaps the best clues
The Beckstoffer Georges III vineyard is known for its mapley notes. It also is located on the southern border of the Rutherford AVA on the east side. The vineyard was formerly owned by BV.
Interesting..... very interesting..... especially with GdL vineyard in the middle of Rutherford.... pileon
Carlos Nalda
Formerly ITB....

BrianW
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7799 Post by BrianW »

Br1an Th0rne wrote: December 27th, 2020, 1:22 pm Gave away a couple of mixed cases of de Negoce for Christmas presents. Haven’t been impressed with any of them, but my mom and sister thought they were just fine!
Totally agree with you. At this point in my life I want good stuff, not always looking for cheapest deal. Btw, if you want to try good stuff at discount Claudine Wines BLOW de Negoce away, to me.
W i t t e n

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7800 Post by HoosJustinG »

Kevin Patrick wrote: December 27th, 2020, 11:31 am Constellation owns Mondavi.

The Grand Cru of Napa is To Kalon ...
https://www.winespectator.com/video/pla ... r+To+Kalon

From Mondavi's own site:
'the To Kalon Vineyard was named ‘Vineyard of the Year’ by the California State Farm Bureau, and the site continues to hold a special grand cru status in the Napa Valley.'
https://www.robertmondaviwinery.com/to- ... -sauvignon
If this were To Kalon fruit, there would be some appropriately over the top language in the offer. That would definitely be a score worthy of a round number offer, though...
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Return to “Wine Talk”