#5703 Post by Michael Singsen » October 12th, 2020, 3:39 pm

mebbe so but 300 cases sold out in 30 minutes

tpetty wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 3:35 pm
My impression from this group is that red wine interest is >>>>>> white

Toby P

Re: de Negoce offer

#5704 Post by Toby P » October 12th, 2020, 3:40 pm

wow, a 30 minute sellout for a white! Amazing. Looks like a really good offer, but not looking for more chardonnay at the moment
P r a t t

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5705 Post by Rodrigo B » October 12th, 2020, 3:41 pm

tpetty wrote:
I reckon so. But personally I’d super interested in seeing more whites on offer from dN. This descriptors for this chard didn’t appeal too much to me. Pretty generic and not much info to go on as well to nail down the producer. For the most part I’m staying away from those really generic offers with harder to nail down producers. Cam also has an upcoming Riesling and another RRV Chard, I’m interested to see what those come out as. Might bite on the riesling depending on the circumstances
B r a g a

Richard Jen

#5706 Post by Richard Jen » October 12th, 2020, 3:46 pm

Rodrigo B wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 3:41 pm
tpetty wrote:
I reckon so. But personally I’d super interested in seeing more whites on offer from dN. This descriptors for this chard didn’t appeal too much to me. Pretty generic and not much info to go on as well to nail down the producer. For the most part I’m staying away from those really generic offers with harder to nail down producers. Cam also has an upcoming Riesling and another RRV Chard, I’m interested to see what those come out as. Might bite on the riesling depending on the circumstances
I only got 3 feasible results by searching Riseling from Oak Knoll on CT. The biggest produer is Trefethen, which retails at $19.99 on wine.com and $22.99 at my local Whole Foods. Supoer curious how Cam will price.

z_hart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5707 Post by z_hart » October 12th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Anyone think that maybe the website is designed to make it look like cases are flying off the shelf, but in reality it's just a marketing trick to make you think that everyone else is buying (maybe they have more info than I do and they know it's a great deal!), create even more FOMO (once in a lifetime opportunity!) and make you order without thinking any longer (you snooze you loose!)? Or, are 10 cases really selling every minute?

Either way, ordered a case of #62.
z a c h

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5708 Post by MatthewT » October 12th, 2020, 3:53 pm

z_hart wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 3:51 pm
Anyone think that maybe the website is designed to make it look like cases are flying off the shelf, but in reality it's just a marketing trick to make you think that everyone else is buying (maybe they have more info than I do and they know it's a great deal!), create even more FOMO (once in a lifetime opportunity!) and make you order without thinking any longer (you snooze you loose!)? Or, are 10 cases really selling every minute?

I don't think so. If he wanted to advertise cases flying off shelf he would have it say how many are left. Someone figured out a backdoor way to see. I also don't know anyone who has bought knowing how fast they are selling. It's fair to assume the offer will be gone between 30 min and 30 hours. Not sure if either make it a better offer. It's really a function of the amount of cases he has for sale.
I'm a Turk

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5709 Post by Brent S » October 12th, 2020, 4:05 pm

got it. Thanks,
Br@nt $prenkle

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5710 Post by Brent S » October 12th, 2020, 4:07 pm

and ya, wow, that did sell out quickly.
Br@nt $prenkle

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5711 Post by Chris H. » October 12th, 2020, 4:08 pm

I was going to get a case, but it's gone! Oh well, there will be more. But looked like a nice Chard.
H a r r i s

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5712 Post by Rodrigo B » October 12th, 2020, 4:10 pm

Richard Jen wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 3:46 pm
Rodrigo B wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 3:41 pm
tpetty wrote:
I only got 3 feasible results by searching Riseling from Oak Knoll on CT. The biggest produer is Trefethen, which retails at $19.99 on wine.com and $22.99 at my local Whole Foods. Supoer curious how Cam will price.
Interesting. That's for digging that up. Trefethen’s 2018 riesling sits at 12.4%ABV compared to Cam’s label of 11.9%, but that’s still within the TTB’s allowed range. It does have a bunch of scores, including from WE, so maybe Cam will mention those. If it didn’t wasn’t vinified by Trefethen, I’d imagine it almost certainly seems like it came from their vineyard. Given the price of the Trefethen dry riesling, I'd reckon the price is going to be around $8-$9 a la #55 Rose from Tablas Creek. Not the best deal dN offered, but we'll see
B r a g a

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5713 Post by HoosJustinG » October 12th, 2020, 4:21 pm

MatthewT wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 3:53 pm
z_hart wrote:

I don't think so. If he wanted to advertise cases flying off shelf he would have it say how many are left. Someone figured out a backdoor way to see. I also don't know anyone who has bought knowing how fast they are selling. It's fair to assume the offer will be gone between 30 min and 30 hours. Not sure if either make it a better offer. It's really a function of the amount of cases he has for sale.
One would think Cam is also still very much in info-gathering mode as to which times are "prime" selling times. You'd think he'd pick those times for his weakest offers and "off" times for his strongest offers to try and balance the number of prime selling opportunities vs amount of offers he wants to release.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5714 Post by MatthewT » October 12th, 2020, 4:27 pm

HoosJustinG wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 4:21 pm
MatthewT wrote:
z_hart wrote:

One would think Cam is also still very much in info-gathering mode as to which times are "prime" selling times. You'd think he'd pick those times for his weakest offers and "off" times for his strongest offers to try and balance the number of prime selling opportunities vs amount of offers he wants to release.
Maybe, but I've tracked when the offers are released and it's mostly 1-4PM PST Tuesday-Friday. Some exceptions but not too many. I mean, they virtually all sell out w/in 24 hours so IDTHGAF.
I'm a Turk

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5715 Post by MatthewT » October 12th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 1:06 pm
I had one wine shipment due today. I bought a mixed case of wines that the Glass Fire especially hurt. That shipment came in the morning and I wasn't expecting anything else today. It was to my surprise when another delivery showed up this afternoon? I opened it to find a replacement case of OG 17, (a replacement for the wine I thought was heat damaged before). What a pleasant surprise!
Surprised no comments on this. Impressive customer service by dH and back in July I said they would make it right and looks like they did?
I'm a Turk

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#5716 Post by Adam Frisch » October 12th, 2020, 4:44 pm

Rodrigo B wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Very similar to Cameron Hughes wines.

Cam calls it wine futures, but the likelihood to your traditional BDX futures is minimal at best IMO. You aren’t buying wines that are going to be delivered to you in two years’ time. Most of the offers that go are already in bottle and ready to ship when they are sold. I reckon that from his CF perspective it is futures if his offers are net 30/60/90 and the offers go out before the invoices are due, so he’s never too short on cash, but from a consumer perspective there’s very little semblance to BDX EP.

Alder Yarrow did a feature on Cam’s new venture on his Vinography blog a short while back. What I took away from it is that Cam lost his CH Wines business to the banks a while back and then after his non-compete expired he decided to strike out on his own again with the same business model, but under a different name.

The wines on offer seem very similar to CH Wines. It’s a mix of supposedly high-end bulk wine and some more affordable bulk wine. The’s really two main differences between de Negoce and CH Wines from my perspective. One is that de Negoce is by the full case only (no single bottles or half case). The other big difference is that the absolute value of each bottle on offer is significantly lower than other high end bulk wines, some offers are in the high single digits, with most offers not even crossing the $20 mark. That does significantly undercut most other high end bulk wine brands out there by quite a lot and make it more attractive for a lot of people. Aside from that, no much of a difference.
Thanks Rodrigo and thanks Michael for link. I had no idea he was no longer involved in Cameron Hughes.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Scott K

#5717 Post by Scott K » October 12th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 3:13 pm
Adam Frisch wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 1:32 pm
I have not read this thread, can someone recap or clarify something for me?
[wow.gif] [dance-clap.gif] [cheers.gif] flirtysmile [cheers.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [pillow-fight.gif] neener [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [wow.gif] newhere [smileyvault-ban.gif] newhere [smileyvault-ban.gif] deadhorse deadhorse deadhorse [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif] [head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif] [help.gif] [oops.gif] [oops.gif] grouphug [berserker.gif] [pwn.gif] [pwn.gif] [scratch.gif] [popcorn.gif] [pwn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [pillow-fight.gif] [popcorn.gif] [pillow-fight.gif] [rofl.gif] blahblah blahblah [swearing.gif] [swearing.gif] deadhorse deadhorse
Definitely the best summary I've seen.
K @ m p E l

T. Steiner

#5718 Post by T. Steiner » October 12th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Long term lurker.. 1st time poster. I recently received shipment on OG N.22 Cab. The shipping was without incident. I popped a bottle a few days after shipment arrived. Not too impressed, in Cam's notes for this wine - he states ready to drink and amazing. I'd say its worst then most $20 cabs from local supermarket in Cali. Anyone else pop one of these from the offerings. Do you think with age these wines may improve? I was excited and although the wine is drinkable, I would never buy a case or a 2nd bottle. :)
T i m u r

Rohit B

#5719 Post by Rohit B » October 12th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Adam Frisch wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 4:44 pm

Thanks Rodrigo and thanks Michael for link. I had no idea he was no longer involved in Cameron Hughes.
Is he no longer involved with CHWine? His most recent tasting videos for the website were about 5 months ago. I suppose things could have changed since then.
13 h @ n

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5720 Post by Michael Martin » October 12th, 2020, 6:35 pm

HoosJustinG wrote:
MatthewT wrote:
z_hart wrote:

Having had my own business for 26 years...you offer your best stuff at the best times. Make hay while the sun shines.

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5721 Post by HoosJustinG » October 12th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 6:35 pm
HoosJustinG wrote:
MatthewT wrote:

Having had my own business for 26 years...you offer your best stuff at the best times. Make hay while the sun shines.
In my business - upscale boutique fitness - we feature our least popular instructors at the best times. Our best instructors can fill a class at 2am. The newer instructors need prime slots like 530pm. Covid has been a bit of a bummer, though.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5722 Post by Michael Martin » October 12th, 2020, 6:59 pm

HoosJustinG wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 6:40 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 6:35 pm
HoosJustinG wrote:

In my business - upscale boutique fitness - we feature our least popular instructors at the best times. Our best instructors can fill a class at 2am. The newer instructors need prime slots like 530pm. Covid has been a bit of a bummer, though.
Glad it works for you.

M!ke S.

#5723 Post by M!ke S. » October 12th, 2020, 7:24 pm

----
Last edited by M!ke S. on October 13th, 2020, 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
$(@n|0π

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5724 Post by Michael Martin » October 12th, 2020, 8:19 pm

Mike Kuller wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 9:49 pm
These wines all sound incredible for the money but I don’t see that much if any has actually been tasted.

I was only impressed with a couple of the maybe 20 different C Hughes wines I’ve had over the past few years.

What makes you think these 2017s will be any better?
7 bottles tasted so far and I am starting to wonder if this was the most prophetic post so far in this thread.

Tyler F.

#5725 Post by Tyler F. » October 12th, 2020, 8:28 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 8:19 pm
Mike Kuller wrote:
These wines all sound incredible for the money but I don’t see that much if any has actually been tasted.

I was only impressed with a couple of the maybe 20 different C Hughes wines I’ve had over the past few years.

7 bottles tasted so far and I am starting to wonder if this was the most prophetic post so far in this thread.
He is presumably wanting to make this a thing beyond 2020, so if he comes out of the gate with a bunch of mediocre bottles or duds, I can't imagine his business will be around too long.

Also, I've had a few bottles myself, and they've been well worth it so far. Easily worth 3x what I paid (comparatively speaking), perhaps higher.
Tyler Fabian

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5726 Post by Michael Martin » October 12th, 2020, 8:32 pm

Tyler F. wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 8:28 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
Mike Kuller wrote:

He is presumably wanting to make this a thing beyond 2020, so if he comes out of the gate with a bunch of mediocre bottles or duds, I can't imagine his business will be around too long.

Also, I've had a few bottles myself, and they've been well worth it so far. Easily worth 3x what I paid (comparatively speaking), perhaps higher.
My experience has been different. Cam has also been doing this for years. His “out of the gate” happened a long time ago. Just check Cellartracker.

Tyler F.

#5727 Post by Tyler F. » October 12th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 8:32 pm
Tyler F. wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 8:28 pm
Michael Martin wrote:

My experience has been different. Cam has also been doing this for years. His “out of the gate” happened a long time ago. Just check Cellartracker.
I'm at 6 cases right now and I've stopped buying largely because the sample size of what I've had so far made me pause on really loading up (i.e. I haven't had enough to really say whether the bottles I've had were lightning in a bottle or consistently great). I haven't had anything bad, just didn't want to be loaded up cases I'll struggle to get through.

At worst, these will be bottles I can open for family/friends (whenever that becomes safe again) and at best, they are insanely great QPR bottles I'll use as weeknight drinkers. I'm guessing the distribution will land evenly on both ends of the spectrum, but we'll see once they arrive.
Tyler Fabian

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5728 Post by Mike R » October 12th, 2020, 9:06 pm

Bought 62 today, despite my promise to myself to not buy any more wine this year.

I am weak.
... 0 p 3 r

J. Patrick Lynch

#5729 Post by J. Patrick Lynch » October 13th, 2020, 4:47 am

M!ke S. wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 7:24 pm
That wine was bottled July 8th. Cam recommend 4 months for the reds and 2 months for the whites.
From the top of each dN email confirmation:
"Whites need 4-6 weeks to get through shock and red wines 2-3 months."
J @ c k

DavidR

#5730 Post by DavidR » October 13th, 2020, 5:41 am

I went for 62. I get the impression there is plenty of interest in whites from DN customers but there is likely much less glut of white on the California bulk market than cabernet, merlot etc. hence less white wine offerings from CH.
R e i d

Peter Valiquette

#5731 Post by Peter Valiquette » October 13th, 2020, 5:58 am

Am I correct that, except for the one shiner, Cam bottles these himself? Why not allow the wineries who have the facilities bottle them?

I went for offer 61 which was procured from a gravity operated winery. I wonder if the wineries careful handling of the wine is all for nothing if someone shows up with a mobile bottling operation to filter and pump the wine to death...aka bottle shock.

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5732 Post by Mike R » October 13th, 2020, 9:18 am

Just got a shipping notice for 19. Are these cases really being sent one at a time? I can explain one painful day with 8 cases showing up, but 8 different days with a case arriving will be very very difficult to explain...
... 0 p 3 r

ValerieA

#5733 Post by ValerieA » October 13th, 2020, 11:12 am

Any shipping at all yesterday? I’m hoping to get most before I leave town next week. No communication at all.WTF?
[cheers.gif]

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5734 Post by mattcitrang » October 13th, 2020, 11:24 am

ValerieA wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 11:12 am
Any shipping at all yesterday? I’m hoping to get most before I leave town next week. No communication at all.WTF?
Email statements appear to be getting less and less dependable.

DavidR

#5735 Post by DavidR » October 13th, 2020, 11:45 am

OK taking a stab at the OG 62 chardonnay.

Could it be Benovia? From their notes on the 2018: .. 94 points, indigenous yeast fermentation in barrel for 13 months.. For 2017 they claim 12 month fermentation in 28% new oak barrels and similar alcohol at 14.1%.. "sourced primarily from our Martaella vineyard" $42

Lines up pretty well with the DN notes.
R e i d

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5736 Post by Michael Martin » October 13th, 2020, 12:17 pm

ValerieA wrote:
My N.15 shipped.

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5737 Post by Robert M yers » October 13th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Peter Valiquette wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 5:58 am
Am I correct that, except for the one shiner, Cam bottles these himself? Why not allow the wineries who have the facilities bottle them?

I went for offer 61 which was procured from a gravity operated winery. I wonder if the wineries careful handling of the wine is all for nothing if someone shows up with a mobile bottling operation to filter and pump the wine to death...aka bottle shock.
Then the source wouldn’t be secret.

L Harris

#5738 Post by L Harris » October 13th, 2020, 12:35 pm

67 Santa Cruz Cab is up - only 300 cases
https://www.denegoce.com/products/og-n- ... 16cb&_ss=r
L u k e

C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5739 Post by C. Heinsen » October 13th, 2020, 12:42 pm

I'm a pass. Sounds great but loaded up on Cabernet. Any ideas for the source?
C h r i s

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5740 Post by MatthewT » October 13th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Hard pass for me given the amount of dN Cab I have coming, no other reason.
I'm a Turk

David Buck

#5741 Post by David Buck » October 13th, 2020, 12:45 pm

ValerieA wrote:
Sound like the 19s went out yesterday as Mike and I got notice. Only one for me also...none of my others in the 20s...

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5742 Post by Nick F. » October 13th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Martin Ray
i a s c o n e

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5743 Post by Rodrigo B » October 13th, 2020, 12:50 pm

The first thing that crossed my mind was when Cam said Santa Cruz Mtn by Los Altos was Ridge, but given their estate cab is a blend I don’t think this is it.

Either way, I'm in for a case. Love me some mountain cab
B r a g a

L Harris

#5744 Post by L Harris » October 13th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Not a ton of cases made in 2017, so that may rule this out but:
https://lahondawinery.com/wine/2017-salinian-cabernet/
L u k e

Vince L.

#5745 Post by Vince L. » October 13th, 2020, 12:54 pm

Nick F. wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Martin Ray
That would be my guess.

https://www.wine.com/product/martin-ray ... 017/586094
$40 @ Wine.com for the 2017

LBW had this for $27 a couple weeks ago.
https://winebounty.com/wine/martin-ray- ... ains-2017/
l 3 r t

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5746 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d » October 13th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Exactly Martin Ray...Beauregard vineyard is used. Pass on this.

J. Patrick Lynch

#5747 Post by J. Patrick Lynch » October 13th, 2020, 12:59 pm

L Harris wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 12:53 pm
I'm with you on this one.
J @ c k

L Harris

#5748 Post by L Harris » October 13th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Vince L. wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 12:54 pm
Nick F. wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Martin Ray
That would be my guess.

https://www.wine.com/product/martin-ray ... 017/586094
$40 @ Wine.com for the 2017

LBW had this for $27 a couple weeks ago.
https://winebounty.com/wine/martin-ray- ... ains-2017/
Could be, but no mention of Hungarian oak in this - could have changed in 2018 of course:
https://www.martinraywinery.com/media/4 ... _cruz_.pdf
L u k e

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5749 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d » October 13th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Fellom Ranch: Fellom Ranch looks inward toward the Santa Clara Valley from high on Montebello Ridge. The ranch itself has existed since the late 1920’s, but not until the 1970’s were the dramatic slopes painstakingly terraced and planted with several varietals, including the Cabernet Sauvignon which we have received from the Fellom’s for nearly two decades.

L Harris

#5750 Post by L Harris » October 13th, 2020, 1:02 pm

J. Patrick Lynch wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 12:59 pm
L Harris wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 12:53 pm
I'm with you on this one.
Consistent 89 point scores recently on WE, might explain why Cam didn't mention any scores if its this one too:
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/la+h ... nia+usa#t3
L u k e

Return to “Wine Talk”