GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: de Negoce offer

#201 Post by Scott Jameson » June 10th, 2020, 6:27 am

Abbie S. wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 6:22 am
BenW wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 6:13 am
Summer Hold is showing as “sold out” for me. I guess I’m taking delivery [scratch.gif]
Same.
It's going to be too hot here in Cleveland next week for wine delivery.
According to the email offering the Summer Hold (for the first offer), the wines shipped yesterday. "sold out" probably isn't the best indicator, but it's evidently too late to hold ...

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#202 Post by Abbie S. » June 10th, 2020, 6:39 am

Scott Jameson wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 6:27 am
Abbie S. wrote:
BenW wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 6:13 am
Summer Hold is showing as “sold out” for me. I guess I’m taking delivery [scratch.gif]
Same.
According to the email offering the Summer Hold (for the first offer), the wines shipped yesterday. "sold out" probably isn't the best indicator, but it's evidently too late to hold ...
This was for the 2nd offer shipping next week.
salovon

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#203 Post by Scott Jameson » June 10th, 2020, 6:49 am

Abbie S. wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 6:39 am
Scott Jameson wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 6:27 am
Abbie S. wrote:

Same.
This was for the 2nd offer shipping next week.
Ahhh ... didn't see that, and I haven't received any emails offering the hold yet. Hopefully, it will get sorted out before it's too late to hold the shipment. It seems like Cam is still figuring out how best to make these offers and in tweaking the web site, breaking things along the way. I was just looking at the site and saw that offer #9, for the Rose, was "sold out". I didn't receive an email offering that one yet either.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by MatthewT » June 10th, 2020, 7:43 am

I think the Rose sold out is an error.

Can someone confirm with Cameron that they will ship with Ice Packs? Napa is 90-95 next week.
I'm a Turk

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#205 Post by mattcitrang » June 10th, 2020, 8:16 am

Still 2 days for this to be straightened out. Let’s see.

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by mattcitrang » June 10th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Shipping for offer #4 is now available. No longer “sold out”.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by Michael Martin » June 10th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Summer held offer #2, getting offer #1 tomorrow.

Michael L

#208 Post by Michael L » June 11th, 2020, 9:21 am

I just received my OG N.01 there were no ice packs in the package but it was well packaged. Luckily the weather in Cincinnati was cooler over the last two days.
Michael Lipschutz

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by MatthewT » June 11th, 2020, 9:28 am

Now pop one open and tell us how it tastes!
I'm a Turk

Michael L

#210 Post by Michael L » June 11th, 2020, 9:30 am

I want to but i thought i read it should settle for a month or so. Decisions Decisions. I think it might be cooler this weekend so i might just have to.
Michael Lipschutz

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#211 Post by MatthewT » June 11th, 2020, 9:52 am

It's $10 take one for the team. I'm waiting.
I'm a Turk

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by Michael Martin » June 11th, 2020, 10:13 am

Michael L wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 9:21 am
I just received my OG N.01 there were no ice packs in the package but it was well packaged. Luckily the weather in Cincinnati was cooler over the last two days.
So this earlier post was in error...

"CH confirmed via email that shipping will be 2 day Fedex (at least to the east coast)and there will be ice packs in the shipping cartons."

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#213 Post by MatthewT » June 11th, 2020, 10:16 am

I asked him if he thought safe to ship to SD next week and he said absolutely but he did NOT confirm there would be any ice packs. I specifically asked him. Seems like way too costly for such a low margin operation.
I'm a Turk

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#214 Post by Jay $$ Winton » June 11th, 2020, 10:35 am

Michael Martin wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 10:13 am
Michael L wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 9:21 am
So this earlier post was in error...

"CH confirmed via email that shipping will be 2 day Fedex (at least to the east coast)and there will be ice packs in the shipping cartons."
Hmmm...I asked specifically about that. [oops.gif]
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Lloyd A. Kasman

#215 Post by Lloyd A. Kasman » June 11th, 2020, 11:01 am

Just received OG 1. I live in Southern California, so it was sent via UPS ground. I had the package diverted via UPS my choice to my local UPS store and just picked up the box. Bottles and corks are in fine shape, unfortunately no capsules?? The offer was presented with capsules, in my mind it takes away from the perceptual quality of the product..

And for those that we’re interested about ice packs, there were none. I’m going to have to repack into French flat cases so I can store in my temperature controlled locker this weekend.. I like the bottles laying down when storing for long term storage.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by Nate Simon » June 11th, 2020, 11:14 am

Lloyd A. Kasman wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 11:01 am
The offer was presented with capsules, in my mind it takes away from the perceptual quality of the product.
A lot of wineries are ditching capsules, as they add expense and work, and serve no functional purpose. Bedrock springs to mind, Wilde Farm, Pax...

The image on the website was kind of a “generic“ one, a mock-up of sorts, since the wine had not even been bottled yet.

Also, seriously? Ten bucks a bottle and you’re looking for “perceptual quality”?

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#217 Post by Nate Simon » June 11th, 2020, 11:14 am

Nate Simon wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 11:14 am
Lloyd A. Kasman wrote:
The offer was presented with capsules, in my mind it takes away from the perceptual quality of the product.
A lot of wineries, including prestigious ones, are ditching capsules, as they add expense and work, and serve no functional purpose. Bedrock springs to mind, Wilde Farm, Pax...

The image on the website was kind of a “generic“ one, a mock-up of sorts, since the wine had not even been bottled yet.

Also, seriously? Ten bucks a bottle and you’re looking for “perceptual quality”?

Lloyd A. Kasman

#218 Post by Lloyd A. Kasman » June 11th, 2020, 11:22 am

Nate Simon wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 11:14 am
Lloyd A. Kasman wrote:
Nate stated:A lot of wineries are ditching capsules, as they add expense and work, and serve no functional purpose. Bedrock springs to mind, Wilde Farm, Pax...

I’m an importer and distributor of imported wine. Price does not dictate quality of a product, and since the offer was advertised with the capsule, I personally believe there should’ve been one. I still think especially if this wine is supposedly of a $50 or higher ex winery price, some people still enjoy the romance of cutting a capsule, and perhaps decanting a wine prior to serving. Just a thought to consider… I really like what Cameron is doing, and have purchased several of the offers so far. I just thought he would enjoy the honest feedback (I assume from time to time he may read this thread)

However, I do understand with modern packaging, some wine makers are foregoing the use of capsules and in those situations I totally understand. The same with certain champagne bottles without a capsule and just a cage. However, our focus groups clearly tell us that with traditional packaging as OG 1 packaging does emit perceptual quality.

As an aside, I’m currently in a program producing modern packaging for wine in cans, and for that market perception is everything.

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#219 Post by John O' » June 11th, 2020, 11:37 am

Received in the Finger Lakes this afternoon. Bottles are room temperature.
O Sullivan

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by Nate Simon » June 11th, 2020, 11:44 am

You are correct that price does not totally equate with quality. However price is most definitely affected by production costs. Cameron‘s whole goal here is to offer premium wines at very low prices. This necessitates trimming the margins wherever possible.

I didn’t think that the wine was “advertised“ to include a capsule. I understood, since it was explicitly stated that the wine was not even bottled, that the image was kind of a generic one. On the other hand, I have never looked at images of bottles checking for capsules.

I have never once enjoyed the “romance of cutting a capsule,“ nor does anyone I know. I’m actually quite glad that I don’t hang out with the kind of people who find cutting a wine bottle capsule to be romantic.

Also, 10 bucks a bottle.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#221 Post by Sean_S » June 11th, 2020, 11:57 am

Nate Simon wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 11:44 am
You are correct that price does not totally equate with quality. However price is most definitely affected by production costs. Cameron‘s whole goal here is to offer premium wines at very low prices. This necessitates trimming the margins wherever possible.

I didn’t think that the wine was “advertised“ to include a capsule. I understood, since it was explicitly stated that the wine was not even bottled, that the image was kind of a generic one. On the other hand, I have never looked at images of bottles checking for capsules.

I have never once enjoyed the “romance of cutting a capsule,“ nor does anyone I know. I’m actually quite glad that I don’t hang out with the kind of people who find cutting a wine bottle capsule to be romantic.

Also, 10 bucks a bottle.
I'm with you on romance and such. I don't look forward to a capsule but I can affirm they do solve a functional problem. From what I read Wax and Capsules are there to keep rodents from eating the corks. I can see in my cellar Rodents have eaten plenty of uncovered corks but they have yet to touch the metal capsule or wax bottles... I generally store those bottles in another location or make sure the cases are sealed such that rodents can't get to the corks.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#222 Post by Michael Martin » June 11th, 2020, 12:17 pm

I was looking forward to the diamond capsules.
Attachments
IMG_1553.jpg

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#223 Post by Rich Brown » June 11th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Sean_S wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 11:57 am
Nate Simon wrote:

Also, 10 bucks a bottle.
I'm with you on romance and such. I don't look forward to a capsule but I can affirm they do solve a functional problem. From what I read Wax and Capsules are there to keep rodents from eating the corks. I can see in my cellar Rodents have eaten plenty of uncovered corks but they have yet to touch the metal capsule or wax bottles... I generally store those bottles in another location or make sure the cases are sealed such that rodents can't get to the corks.

Sean
This is a sarcastic post, correct?

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#224 Post by JonathanG » June 11th, 2020, 7:30 pm

I dont have rodents in my offsite. So im cool with no capsules.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#225 Post by Robert M yers » June 11th, 2020, 9:22 pm

Offsite? You guys are going to store a $10 wine To drink later that we have no idea where it’s from. Go ahead and Romantically Cut (or miss cutting in this case) the capsule, but when the real romantic possibilities Arise about farming and where the wine is actually from, you can tune out from those questions unanswered? [rofl.gif] This is the antithesis of romantic wine, it’s Tuesday night I hope I get a good deal wine.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#226 Post by Sean_S » June 11th, 2020, 9:58 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 6:38 pm
Sean_S wrote:
Nate Simon wrote:

Also, 10 bucks a bottle.

Sean
Nah Rich. Totally serious, I don't like capsules. I despise wax even more. I have 3 cellars and one of them is literally the crawl space of my house here in the Santa Cruz mountains. It's a great place to store wince since it never gets more than 67 in the peak of summer but rodents do literally eat the corks on my wines. I put out a bunch of traps and caught a few but its the quiet season now. I need to get more aggressive this coming winter with traps.

BTW: The rodents seem to prefer Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard corks to bedrock...

Sean
Last edited by Sean_S on June 11th, 2020, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#227 Post by Sean_S » June 11th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#228 Post by Rich Brown » June 11th, 2020, 10:24 pm

Sean_S wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 9:58 pm
Rich Brown wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 6:38 pm
Sean_S wrote:

Sean
Nah Rich. Totally serious, I don't like capsules. I despise wax even more. I have 3 cellars and one of them is literally the crawl space of my house here in the Santa Cruz mountains. It's a great place to store wince since it never gets more than 67 in the peak of summer but rodents do literally eat the corks on my wines. I put out a bunch of traps and caught a few but its the quiet season now. I need to get more aggressive this coming winter with traps.

BTW: The rodents seem to prefer Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard corks to bedrock...

Sean
That's amazing! At first I thought you were joking but wasnt sure, so glad that I asked! Good to know the capsule/wax keeping away rodents thing is actually true.

And p.s.....cant fault the rodents for eating local, but they dont know what they're missing with Bedrock ;)

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#229 Post by Nate Simon » June 11th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Sean, talk to your neighbor Randall Grahm about some alternative closures!😆

Tom F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#230 Post by Tom F. » June 13th, 2020, 12:34 pm

And now the chard and rose offers are up. I'm tempted on the chardonnay. I don't think there is enough information to figure it out but there aren't that many oak knoll chardonnays. Trefethen comes to mind as maybe the biggest but 40% new oak for 15 months is more than what Trefethen usually does (I think).
T 0 m F | 0 y d

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#231 Post by Nick F. » June 13th, 2020, 12:43 pm

Luna winemakers reserve Chardonnay

Never tried it anyone like Luna?
i a s c o n e

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#232 Post by ykwon » June 13th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Just grabbed the chard. Patio sipper.
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#233 Post by John O' » June 13th, 2020, 12:51 pm

ykwon wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 12:48 pm
Just grabbed the chard. Patio sipper.
+1
O Sullivan

Tom F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#234 Post by Tom F. » June 13th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Nick F. wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 12:43 pm

That has some Carneros fruit in it so maybe only their OKD barrels?
T 0 m F | 0 y d

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#235 Post by mattcitrang » June 13th, 2020, 1:15 pm

Like the Chard. Might be a bit oaky. Nice to see they incorporated the summer hold directly into the offer now. Much easier.

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#236 Post by Nick F. » June 13th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Tom F. wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 12:58 pm
Nick F. wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 12:43 pm

That has some Carneros fruit in it so maybe only their OKD barrels?
Wine.com has relatively good search functionality.

Went with Luna due to the ratio of new oak. Could very well be wrong.

I have never had any of their wines but took a flyer given the price.

No idea on the rose
i a s c o n e

Richard Jen

#237 Post by Richard Jen » June 13th, 2020, 1:51 pm

On the topic of perceived value... It would be easier for me to pay $12/bottle for the Chardonnay and get free shipping than paying $29 per case for a $10 bottle... Shipping is 25% of the value of goods... That bothers me every time...

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#238 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » June 13th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Lloyd A. Kasman

#239 Post by Lloyd A. Kasman » June 13th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Richard Jen wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 1:51 pm
On the topic of perceived value... It would be easier for me to pay $12/bottle for the Chardonnay and get free shipping than paying $29 per case for a $10 bottle... Shipping is 25% of the value of goods... That bothers me every time...
RJ on Wine? If so, I really like your pallate! We met at a Wines of Uruguay event in San Francisco maybe 10 years ago (I was involved with the organizing body) I also believe you attended the dinner that was hosted by the organizers and wine makers. I was importing several wines from Uruguay at the time and I believe I sent you samples along with other members of the press for a evaluation. I don’t know if you’re working incognito here or not, but nice to see your name at least partially :-) We received allot of good press at the time, Thanks to you and others.

As to the perception, you’re kind of right. Since it’s $29 a case flat it could’ve been built into the price but I guess he wanted to show the wine is a really good value.

I’m in for several offers 4 so far and thinking about striking on the Chardonnay as well. With the high end bulk market the way it’s pricing these days, he really has a good pick of the litter!

Richard Jen

#240 Post by Richard Jen » June 13th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Lloyd A. Kasman wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 2:29 pm
Richard Jen wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 1:51 pm
RJ on Wine? If so, I really like your pallate! We met at a Wines of Uruguay event in San Francisco maybe 10 years ago (I was involved with the organizing body) I also believe you attended the dinner that was hosted by the organizers and wine makers. I was importing several wines from Uruguay at the time and I believe I sent you samples along with other members of the press for a evaluation. I don’t know if you’re working incognito here or not, but nice to see your name at least partially :-) We received allot of good press at the time, Thanks to you and others.

As to the perception, you’re kind of right. Since it’s $29 a case flat it could’ve been built into the price but I guess he wanted to show the wine is a really good value.

I’m in for several offers, , Thanks to you and others.

I’m in for several of the OG offers, not a big follower of Napa, and wanted to diversify a little and thought why not.
Not me... I’m new to the wine world...
https://www.rjonwine.com/about/
Last edited by Richard Jen on June 13th, 2020, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#241 Post by JonathanG » June 13th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 9:22 pm
Offsite? You guys are going to store a $10 wine To drink later that we have no idea where it’s from. Go ahead and Romantically Cut (or miss cutting in this case) the capsule, but when the real romantic possibilities Arise about farming and where the wine is actually from, you can tune out from those questions unanswered? [rofl.gif] This is the antithesis of romantic wine, it’s Tuesday night I hope I get a good deal wine.
All of my wine is at my offsite, all shipments go to my offsite. I only keep about 40 bottles at home. And if it turns out that these wines are just tuesday night pounders, then I'll bring them home sooner. not sure what's so odd about that.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

James Mc

#242 Post by James Mc » June 13th, 2020, 4:38 pm

In for both chard and rose, because why not. At the price point, it will be consumed one way or the other
McCormick Seasonings

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#243 Post by MatthewT » June 13th, 2020, 4:56 pm

what's the other?
I'm a Turk

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#244 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » June 13th, 2020, 5:15 pm

MatthewT wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 4:56 pm
what's the other?
You don’t want to know.
Last edited by Chr!s G|@rn3r on July 12th, 2020, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Jen

#245 Post by Richard Jen » June 13th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 2:19 pm
A possibility for the chard:

https://celaniwines.com/wp-content/uplo ... donnay.pdf
14.5% vs. 14.3%.

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#246 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » June 13th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Richard Jen wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:

14.5% vs. 14.3%.
Always +/- in abv.

This is also not a relabeling of the same wine that the winery produced. It is bought out of the barrel so there can be minor differences in a lot of aspects of how the wine was made. I.e. abv, time in barrel etc.

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#247 Post by Nick F. » June 13th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:

Defn a good guess.

Haven’t ever had any of their wines but certainly looks like a quality wine for 13.33 a bottle
i a s c o n e

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#248 Post by Albert R » June 13th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Nick F. wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 6:40 pm
Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:

Defn a good guess.

Haven’t ever had any of their wines but certainly looks like a quality wine for 13.33 a bottle
+1. Excellent guess. Thanks Chris!
@. Re-go

Richard Jen

#249 Post by Richard Jen » June 13th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 6:40 pm
Richard Jen wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:

14.5% vs. 14.3%.
Always +/- in abv.

This is also not a relabeling of the same wine that the winery produced. It is bought out of the barrel so there can be minor differences in a lot of aspects of how the wine was made. I.e. abv, time in barrel etc.
Agree that this is an excellent guess. Always learn something here. Thank you!

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#250 Post by Len Stevens » June 17th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Pinot offer is out for only $10/btl...though not familiar with too many produced in Carmel....

Return to “Wine Talk”