Aging Wine in Square Btls??

https://www.wine-business-international.com/wine/general/wine-bottle-thats-flat-out-different

As linked in WineTerroirist, an interesting article on putting up wines in square btls. One of the concerns is if the wines in square btls will age as well as in round btls.

That strikes me as pretty bizarre.
Tom

Maybe he should get in contact with Michel Torres, who pioneered the square barrel.

Yea I read that too Tom. Square bottle stacking seems efficient, until producers start using slightly different sizes that don’t stack neatly. Can’t think of a reason why the shape of the bottle would affect aging though.

why would it age differently in a flat bottle? long as the headspace is the same with the same area right at the neck and its still cork. unless you’re keeping it somewhere with sunlight, in which case its got more area for sun to strike wine directly.

my concern is what you do with the bottle on the table in the middle of dinner. you pour two glasses and… looks like he’s gotta hold the bottles to keep them upright.

You need to buy the stand separately. It is, unfortunately, priced like an Apple accessory…

Could n’t you put the bottle inside a bucket of some sort??
Remember the brick for keeping wines cool??

I think the critical difference is that the square “bottle” is made of PET, not glass.

It doesn’t look like they would fit in my Eurocave cabinets very well.

you just need one shelf at the bottom and then you just stack to your hearts content!

So every time I want to find a wine will be like and Easter egg hunt.[cheers.gif]

removing a bottle from the middle will be like candy crush. everything else just drops right into its place

You’re forgetting the coriolis force Tom, obviously. [wow.gif]

I’m told the biggest problem is with the taste in a square bottle, which is less spherical, less well-rounded, more linear and the tannins can be quite angular. However, some also find that this gives the wine more structure and backbone, so each to their own.

Can you play Jenga with them?