TN: Evolving note on mystery wine...Revealed

For fun, I asked my wife to grab any bottle from the cellar, and blind me on it.

First thoughts upon opening - lots of tobacco on the nose. Palate isn’t showing much fruit, but lots of depth, and a clear mineral streak on the back end. Green note in there as well, but not overpowering. Going to pop this in a decanter so that it can open up more.

More updates later.

Wine revealed later tonight, or maybe tomorrow - whenever my wife decides to tear the aluminum foil off of the bottle. [cheers.gif]

Fun idea. Two fun things for you to post about (before the reveal) would be perceived abv and also how much you think the wine costs.

Abv - 12%

Cost…not sure yet. Too much left to decide.

That’ll be interesting. Preliminary guess: Graves

Loire red

2011 Baudry Chinon Franc de Pied.

Tobacco and green notes still dominant. It’s not at all unpleasant, as the wine is in no way angular, but I wish there was more fruit.

It’s definitely old world, and I am also thinking Loire. Seems very much Cabernet Franc.

I only have a handful of Loire red wine producers in my cellar, so at least I have a fighting chance.

Yeah, I thought Chinon/Saumur as well. Another thought might a be a closed down Rioja.

Two hours in, and the wine has not budged. It’s frankly tiring at this point.

One of your young Baudry ?

Cool year Sociando Mallet?

Rougeard clos bottling…

Haha…I did a test run in this for my wife to see what she would pick…she said “you had a bunch of these” so that’s what I went by…it was “going to be” a DRC RSV! [swoon.gif] Although I think this would totally be fun…this is what I fear!

Where’s the color on this?

Actually, this was my other choice, cool year, young, Sociando. You would swear it has a lot more cab franc, but it doesn’t.

Quite red. No fading.

That’s my guess as well. We’ll see tomorrow.

Are you able to tell whether the bottle is a Bordeaux shape or Burgundy shape?

Sociando not normally tobacco, more like bell pepper, but a green note was mentioned as well. And not normally showing little fruit (very different from the 2000, for example). Could be the 1996 I suppose, which had this leaner profile

But I will go with the Loire red based on the later notes in particular, no relaxing of the fruit profile. Clos Rougeard or Joguet (doesn’t strike me as a Baudry, which always seemed more generous to me)…

That’s cheating. (which is a treasured blind tasting technique of mine.)