2009 Keller „Abtserde“ GG - touching

“The favoured vineyard of the Bishop of Worms in the 14th century (and today a sub-plot of the Brunnenhäuschen grand cru), the Kellers acquired their parcel in 1996 and own the oldest vines here.

In the Middle Ages, this site was considered the finest vineyard in Keller’s area of the Rheinhessen, known as the Hügelland. The wines from the vineyard were strictly reserved for the Bishop of nearby Worms.”

2009 Keller „Abtserde“ GG

Covid-19 has so many lessons for ALL of us, but one lesson is definitely, enjoy the moment with your loved ones. So, I opened tonight this legendary Riesling for my wife with the first asparagus (with parmesan&olive oil) of the year. I have to say this Riesling touched me. I had almost tears in my eyes, so wonderful was this Riesling today. Its all about finesse&elegance. Green-yellow colour and such young.

By coincidence, after 40 years I read again „The Lord of the Rings“ by J.R.R. Tolkien in the last days and I have to say the elves would serve this wine. BTW, magic trilogy and gave me hope/relieve in these dark times. The Good will prevail.

I have to admit I am really (!) surprised how good the heat vintage 2009 developed over the years. Normally I prefer cool-climate vintages like 2010&2013&2017. BTW, around 2 years ago I also had a 2009 Dönnhoff „Hermannshöhle“ GG which impressed me deeply by its elegance.

Anyway, please serve a good bottle of wine to your loved ones today, tomorrow and in the coming days. Life is short.

Stay all healthy,
Martin

IMG_1420.jpg

Great post Martin, thanks. Will need to dig one of these out of my cellar sometime soon

Cheers

Great post. I’ve only had the '16 Abts, but I still clearly remember that moment. Me telling someone how good this stuff is doesn’t do it justice. Always nice to see notes on other vintages.

Martin,

The Keller Riesling Westhofen Brunnenhäuschen Abts E TBA 2009 (19,5/20) is one of the best wines in my life …

WOW

Laurent,

as you know 2009 is a fruity vintage in Germany, so I am not really surprised.

BUY 2019 Abtserde. According to a good friend and experienced&reliable wine-taster 2019 Abtserde is very very close to G-Max in this vintage. In general 2019 looks quite promising.

That was during the auctions, with my friend David Rayer …

David Rayer is one of the best wine taster in the world.

And one of the best friends too :slight_smile:

Hah, I agree on the elves in Rivendell serving this wine. Never had the 2009, but the 2008 Abtserde was definitely what I would expect there–ethereal (Elven light), conjuring visions of a far green country, under a swift sunrise…

P.S. more info regarding ABTSERDE also interesting historical information (in german!)

Use a Google translator

I am relieved as I thought I maybe got fantastical due to the quarantine. haha

Great post. Martin you are certainly Living well with Keller Abtserde and Lord of the Rings. 2 classics. My first Keller was a 2015 Abtserde and it was a stunning and transformative experience.

Hello Martin - Beautiful post. When we saw Berlin was opening it led to Renée and I talking about the asparagus you served us!

YES, we had a wonderful lunch together and I could surprise you with a Scheurebe. [dance2.gif]