No, the other Noellat (not Charles or Alain)

I have noticed remarkably little chatter about a large VR Domaine Michel Noellat here on the boards. Just got an offer today from Grapes TWC with 1er crus in Vosne for what seems to be very attractive prices (sub $100.00) for Suchots and Beaux Monts. They apparently own something like a whopping 1.7 ha of Beaux Monts! They also have extensive holdings up and down the cote. Seems like they have modernized over the years, sounds like a sensible oak regime (50% for GC, 30% for 1ers).

It would appear the prices are almost too good to be true, especially in these days of $100.00 village wines. So what is the catch? Not biodynamie enough? Too few exports? Too little publicity? It seems like they should be major players. Curious about thoughts…

Dennis, I recently tried their 2017 Bourgogne and was very, very impressed. Went looking for the Domaine’s wines and picked up a case of the Bourgogne and took a flyer on a half case of 2015 Morey St. Denis. Have not had a chance to try one of the MSDs yet, but based upon the Bourgogne I’m optimistic.

I tasted the 13s and 14s at the london EP tastings and really liked them. Haven’t broached any of the cases I bought yet though.

Curious. They are really large landowners in both Beaux Monts and VR Suchots (second largest landowners in both I believe) and there is very little press about them. Alan Meadows barely mentions them in his Pearl book and one can only surmise there is less enthusiasm for their wines due to some distinct reason. Usually silence can be interpreted as diplomatic criticism or at least underachievers. Either that or they are the best kept secret in Vosne. I guess the only good way to find out is to pop for a few bottles and see…

Yes pls share your thoughts. I too have received some offers but have passed due to lack of info and experience.

What is Grapes TWC?

Im hoping its not Grapes Wine.com .
See entire threads on that (or institutionwine.com)

this is my question. looks like there’s not much press because across the range of 6-7 bottlings on W-S they’re all only at maybe 1 or 2 shops in the US. the CT notes are good though!

I have some of these in the cellar but haven’t opened any.

Been drinking a bottle or two a year of his '99 Beaux Monts these past few years.
It’s been pleasant drinking, with very good concentration, but nothing too exciting.
Then all of a sudden last month it turned the corner and has blossomed into something quite special !
You may want to take advantage of the lack of publicity.

friends,

As the great Sylvain Pitiot at CLOS DE TART once told me :“There is a reason why you never hear of certain domaines. Why does everybody knows ROUSSEAU?” (to name but one but that was one domaine Mr. PITIOT mentioned…)

SINCERELY JOHAN

I have some 2014 Michel Noellat from Fixin that are developing well.

Edit: I shouldn’t post before coffee. Just checked the bottles and they are Michel. I have no idea where I got Joel from. [oops.gif]

I believe he makes a decent boudots as well.

I took a flyer on a bottle of 1998 Domaine Michel Noëllat Morey St. Denis at a shop in Beaune. Very boring. Realized why this producer is a not so famous Noellat. Maybe they’ve improved?

I’ve heard they’ve improved in recent years.

One of the many addresses at which improvement in this millennium has been colossal. Delicious wines now, and if they aren’t out of the very top drawer nor are their prices.

Anyone had the cv or echezeaux?

Apparently they are related to the barthods.

So far, I’ve gotten this from the whole tree.

Charles Noellat domaine mostly went to Leroy, with a bit going to Hudelot noellat and jj confuron.

Marcel noellat’s holdings make up most of what is now domaine barthod. I’m not sure how marcel was related to Charles and Ernest noellat.

Ernest noellat’s holdings were split between domaine Georges Noëllat and Michel noellat.

https://www.domaine-michel-noellat.com/domain-history/?lang=en (go to the bottom for the family tree)

Grapes The Wine Company. Very different place. Owned by a good guy/total grouch who used to post here