Favorite sub-$20 wines that are widely distributed?

Hi everyone - I’m planning a virtual tasting for a group of friends across the country and am trying to decide which wines to pick. I was hoping I could tap the collective Berserker Brain for some ideas.

Here are the details:

• I need to pick two wines, one red and one dry white
  • $20 max per bottle
  • The wines need to be sufficiently widely available that I can place two-bottle orders that can be shipped to DC, Virginia, Maine, Oregon, Colorado, and California. I know, the shipping will be a pain, but that’s ok.
  • All of the participants like wine but none apart from me are “wine people”

So, essentially, the question is, “What are your favorite sub-$20 wines that are widely distributed?”

Thanks!

Lafage Bastide Miraflores
Argyros Atlantis White

These are more crowd pleaser wines.

Bedrock OVZ is $20.79 at wine library, and would be more complex and interesting. Le Chablisenne Chablis AC would be nice too for a white.

Any recent vintage of Columbia Crest or H3 Cabernet Sauvignon for under $15 a bottle is a great choice for your red. With the few extra quid per bottle you save on the red, you can add it to your $20 per 750ml budget to get 2014 Drouhin Vaudon Chablis as your white wine.

Cafaggio Chianti Classico
Château Sénéjac

Seghesio Zinfandel
Tenshen White Blend

2016 Bodegas Ateca Calatayud Atteca Old Vines
$14
Drinks way above its price.

Shebang, a Bedrock wine
$11-$12

Antinori Villa Toscana
$15
Great QPR

Widely available…

• Lafage Miraflors rose’. Widely available plus it’s really good.
  • Kung Fu Girl riesling. So available that it’s even at my small town CVS! Drinkable, too.
  • Klinker Brick Zinfandel is not a zin fruit bomb. Always delivers.
  • Bogle Petit Sirah is quite good for ~$12, especially if you find an older-ish vintage.

One thought: If you want something that is widely distributed, couldn’t your friends get the bottles themselves?

Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, in some cases people would be able to pick up the wines themselves (and one or two might anyway), but, you know, a lot of people are going through a lot at the moment and I want this to be an easy, fun, relaxing thing that people can just show up for.

I hear you.

Oh yeah, the Bogle Cab is decent, too, at probably $10.

I do like the idea of skimping on one wine and going a bit over on another. It can be a real a-ha moment when someone realizes that for $3-$4 more they can drink something that elevates the palate. But it might be best to save this trick for when y’all can taste 3 bottles of the same variety.

JosephDrouhin Macon-Villages 2018

Felsina Chianti Classico 2017
Kirkland Champagne Brut

Red
-Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (e.g. Fantini,Masciarelli) ~$10
-Substance CS Cabernet Sauvignon ~$15
-Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel ~$20

White
Pine Ridge Chenin-Viognier (off-dry) ~$12
Paul Buisse or Chidaine Touraine Sauvignon Blanc ~$15
Fevre Champs Royaux Chablis ~$20

For me, red is actually tougher because it depends more on personal tastes, whether food is involved, and choosing something that shows well when young. The white is a no-brainer.

White: Pepiere Muscadet Clos de Briords (2017 > 2018; Sokolin NY shows $18 for the '17, but '18 will be more widely available). Their “sur lie” bottling is less expensive, and is also more widely distributed but the Briords is a significant step up in quality.

Red: Lanessan. Not actually my favorite sub $20 wine, but one that I like, is widely available, and would appeal to a broad audience. Other solid options include Thivin’s Brouilly Reverdon, Senejac (mentioned above), and Goodfellow Willamette Valley Pinot, which I believe falls into this price range with the sales currently going on here and from several retailers.

I’ll second Antinori Villa Toscana, it’s a great QPR at $15, and you can find it at Costco for $13 sometimes.

Substance Cab is also a fine choice.

For something different, Guigal Cote du Rhône and Chateau St. Cosme are pretty easy to get and decent under $20.

For a white, I’d look at an entry level Chablis or German Riesling for something interesting, but my personal favorite sub $20 white is the Kirkland Brut Champagne. My wife would recommend the Conundrum white blend - despite “Caymus” it’s decent and $12 at Costco.

My first thought was Thivin Cote de Brouilly, but in looking, it starts at $22 these days. That would kill the category if it had made it under the bar. Including with non-geek tasters.

Pedroncelli Mother Clone Zinfandel. I think you can get it for $12-15 most places.
2nd for Seghesio Sonoma County.
Marietta Vineyards OVR
Las Rocas Garnacha

A to Z Wineworks Chardonnay is $12~16 and widely distributed.

Why not pick something from Costco. They have imo superb values in that price range

Stoller Chardonnay

Off the top of my head:

Red:
Marietta Old Vine Red
ABC Santa Barbara County Pinot
Educated Guess Napa Cabernet
Qupé SB County Syrah

White:
Brander SB County Sauvignon Blanc
Pine Ridge Chenin-Viognier
Dr. Loosen’s entry level Riesling

Anything by J Mourat—he makes some interesting wines from the Loire.