Pairing with tacos al pastor?

Was thinking zin, any thoughts?

There’s a place down the street that does pretty good tacos al pastor and over the past weeks we’ve had a reserva Rioja, a CdP, Larry’s rosé Mourvedre and Cinsault, a Txakolina, a Napa Cab, a Chianti, a couple of Syrahs, a Garnacha Tintorera/Monastrell blend, and some more Syrah. Guess we’ve been drinking a lot of Syrah lately.

I was thinking Mourvèdre wouldn’t be a bad choice either. Do have an 2018 D&R enz in the sowine too.

I get pastor on a regular basis. More often than not I drink D&R with it.

Had a D&R Familiar two nights ago with chicken mole tacos and it was a really enjoyable pairing. the acidity and bright fruit was a really nice counter to the little bit of earthy spice of the dish. al pastor would be similar I think

For the record: zin would probably work too, depending on the zin you’ve got. more the style of bedrock over big jammy ones. or really any kind of CdP based grape or blend, especially mouvedre or Grenache

Mexican food is a difficult pairing and the traditional pairing of beer is usually the best. But on the wine side we’ve found the cheaper, young, more fruit driven and less complex reds tend to balance out the spice of the food. If it’s something you would barely cook with, it will probably do just fine

I agree with Andrew, something young and fruit forward, but cerveza is the ideal pairing.

Was just considering something similar. Making birria tacos tomorrow. For me, I usually steer away from anything high alcohol with spicy food for obvious reasons. I find that Thai and spicy Mexican food have similar complimentary pairings: riesling, Chenin, Gamay, slightly higher dosage sparkling.

The pastor we get has pretty good kick to it. Prefer a cold one to wine but if going the wine route I would pick a medium body low alcohol red. D&R would be a good choice for me, I would stay away from most zins if the pastor has any significant spice.

Tom

Yeah I was thinking 17 ovz or the 18 enz

I was thinking a pyrazine heavy vintage in Loire Cab Franc or the basil and menthol notes of Grenache might pair nicely? I usually go with Modelo Negra.

Well, Mission of course! [wink.gif]

To me it feels like something light and and on the fruitier or more acidic side would be a good match. Gamay? Riesling? Gewurz?

I like gamay for this pairing

Many al pastor recipes have pineapple and a light sweetness. If this one does, I’d agree with Adam and go with a Riesling with just a little RS to balance the sweetness. I find that any reds with higher alcohol levels seem to taste more alcoholic once you add some spice. If the dish doesn’t have any sweetness then a Beaujo, Dolcetto or even a good rose would be best, IMO.

The 18 D&R enz was a nice pairing, notes later.

Champagne, hands down.

I like the idea of bright fresh reds or Rieslings with a little rs for pastor. I would say, though, that spice and spice can sometimes work well. One of my all time favorite pairings is chicken mole with a leaner style Zin (we had Day). The earthiness, spice and sweetness of the dish was a perfect complement for the wine. Just a hint of raisination worked wonders.

Anyone ever try Carignane with this pairing? I haven’t, just curious.

a good call! glad it worked well for you

Patty Green Muscat is the obvious choice.