TN - 2016 Domaine de Moor Le Vendangeur Masque 'Le Bourboulenc de Mare et Eric'

Well it’s taken us a significant period of time to pull out the 2016 Domaine de Moor Bourboulenc for a taste. Never have tasted this grape wine before so we were in a new tasting space. Was partially waiting for the right food to have it with. Every week we have FaceTime dinners with another couple where we share cooking duties and split everything down the middle. This week they made a delicious seafood casserole(shrimp, blackfish, potatoes, gruyere cheese, dill, a splash of cream, & bread crumb topping) and a vegetable dish(tomatoes, corn, & okra). We were responsible for dessert(egg and butter free chocolate cake) and wine(mentioned above).

I purchased the de Moor bourboulenc wine along with some of their chablis wines about 6 months ago. De Moor’s short wax capsules don’t travel well and come slightly chipped. They are clearly using a very brittle wax formula. The grapes for this wine were purchased by the de Moors from the Rhone valley and made at their place in Courgis near Chablis. So I opened the wine about 2 hrs ahead of the dinner and made the split into two separate bottles and recorked for refrigerating until dinner. At dinner all four of us opened the wine to have with dinner. For reference at this point the wine is a touch too cold. In the glass this light yellow wine has floral notes that reminded me of a viognier and for my spouse a tinge of gewurztraminer mixed in. In the mouth the first taste is of spiciness integrated with citrus, yellow apple, and hint of stone fruit flavors. There is a modest acidity backbone that mellows and recedes as the wine warms up. The mouthfeel is a medium to a full body wine with good length on the finish. This is a beautiful wine that reminds me of a perfect blend of viognier(new world), ripe chardonnay(sans butteriness), and roussanne. I would guess that the perfect serving temperature is 55-60F. Hard to say how long this wine will cellar and develop but it still has time ahead of it. Lucky for me I still have 1 in reserve that I can open in the future. BTW the creamy rich seafood casserole and vegetable medley were a perfect fit for this wine. I think a similar creamy poultry casserole would also go well with this wine. All I can say is hoorah for bourboulenc!

Hi Gary,

Congratz for the forum’s first Bourboulenc note! :slight_smile: Certainly sounds like an interesting one. I’ve yet to open my bottle but look to do it soon for comparison.