TN: 2002 Jadot Clos St. Jacques

jh opened the 09 recently and posted favorably. I went looking for 05 and found 02. This is an excellent wine—no Jacques here. Meaty, dark fruited, a little gamy, well-balanced with bright acids, nice texture, just finishes a bit short. It’s a solid wine.

Thanks for the report. I actually looked for my 2001 but didn’t find it, so settled on a Drouhin 02 Chambolle 1er cru. I have the 05 (07,08,10) of the CSJ, but I’ve found that if I get too impatient, the Jadot version is good but can underwhelm a little–be a little disjointed, or short, or have a hole in the middle (which is what I remember about the last time I had the 2005). This leads some folks to regard the Jadot wines as second tier in general, but I think they are just late bloomers. I’m trying to wait 20 years if I can on my more serious Jadot wines, at least in the more significant vintages.

What does “- no Jacques here” mean in your note?

For those of you in this thread with history tasting and buying these wines do you find CSJ as the top tier of Gevrey-Chambertin 1er crus? Potential to out perform some of the lesser GCs?

That’s a fact, Jacques.

(sorry Hank–if you take part in threads with these guys you have to put up with some pretty awful puns.) Yes, I think CSJ is the best 1er in Gevrey, and often better than several of the grand crus.

Nice Alan, the oak tannins in these wines can make them a bit tight. I think I know what i will be pulling tonight - another Jadot CSJ for another data point.

Thanks Alan.

Thanks for the reply John.

no joke here . . .

Good to hear.

Look forward to revisiting the 08’ Jadot CSJ, which was really impressive a few years back. Think 05’ is the most aged one I have, and while it’s starting to open, has plenty of room to run.

I took the “no Jacques” comment to mean that the wine didn’t have the funk that might be associated with Jacques Lardiere.

The '97 is delightful as are the '90 and '93. I haven’t had the '02 in a while but I seem to recall liking it quite a bit. I haven’t touched my '05s or younger yet.

just a weak pun on “no joke,” meaning a serious wine.

The 1990 was the first Burgundy I bought in quantity, probably went through a case and a half. Just a few years ago I had my last bottle and though ok I thought it had seen better days. It was the only Jadot CSJ I remember that didn’t need 20 years, almost out of character for this wine. '93 and '97 I still have, '97 is our anniversary year and I am in no hurry to drink up either of those vintages. Then I didn’t buy so much wine after getting married until 2005, and I don’t plan on opening those for 5 more years. It’s making me regret that I missed 2002.