TN: 2009 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Cuvée Cot (France, Loire Valley, Touraine)

• 2009 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Cuvée Cot - France, Loire Valley, Touraine (4/25/2020)
    Sweet raspberries and loam draped on a structure of granite. With air some lithe wild brambly notes begin to intertwine with the rest.

A treat for myself during quarantine. Even with everything going on CRB can still make me smile uncontrollably.

The only explanation I have for this wine is that 11 years ago Didier started harvesting grapes with the thought “Jay will need cheering up when the coronavirus quarantine hits in 2020. I know just what he’ll be looking for.”

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice. In Cot we trust. Just had a 2013 Puzelat-Bonhomme a few nights ago. Great value.

RT

Thanks for the thoughtful note Jay. It put a smile on my face.

Looking forward to sharing some wine after this passes.

Best,

Todd

As my mother used to say “From your mouth to G-d’s ears” :slight_smile:

Clos Roche Blanche Côt is such a special wine.

Best note I’ve read in a while. Thanks!

That it is.

I think it’s time to return wines that I have on hand for cancelled events to storage and pull a bunch of CRB.

Thanks for the note! I have a bottle of the 2002 in the cellar still, probably should open soon.

My last (and last) bottle of that showed magnificently about a year or two ago. Of course the bottle I opened before that had brett problems :frowning:

Well, I’m happy to hear there is a chance it turns out great. I found it in a restaurant in Béziers so I believe that at least the provenance is solid.

Thanks for the excellent note, Jay - I’ve heard a lot about this but never tried it. I shall send out my minions in search of some immediately.

Very unfortunately their last vintage was 2014. At least they went out with a bang.

You got me interested - I looked it all up and discovered the land had been sold to two people - Julien Pineau and Laurent Saillard. Both produce “natural wine”, I think. Might be worth looking out for.

I haven’t tried any of the Saillard wines yet but here are my notes on some 2015 Julien Pineaus:

Julien Pineau
A few of us gathered to try the new Pineau wines. I picked up the four that CSW is carrying and we tasted through the lineup today.

First off, hate, hate, hate the illegible labels. It’s a good thing CSW puts a printed label on the back because otherwise I’d have no idea what each wine was until I opened it.

Pineau, Julien 2015 Vin de France Pet Nat Bocca di Rosa
Yep, that’s a pet nat all right. If you’re a fan of that apple cidery sort of sparkling wine then you’ll probably like this but personally I don’t understand the point. Quickly dumped by all present.

Pineau, Julien 2015 Vin de France Roche Blanche
Another wine firmly in the “very natural” camp. It has a beautiful soft nose but is bitter and not very complex on the palate. The CSW note says it benefits from lots of air so perhaps it gets better?

Pineau, Julien 2015 Vin de France Sucettes á l’Aunis
Now this is more like it! Both reds were a little spritzy, this one has a lovely nose and a beautifully pure, delightful pineau d’aunis palate. I’m not saying it was the 2012 l’Arpent Rouge but not even l’Arpent Rouge is usually 2012 l’Arpent Rouge. I’d definitely buy this again.

Pineau, Julien 2015 Vin de France L’Ecume des Nuits
Good complex, refreshing flavors. The most joyous of the wines. Jeff said he thought it was Cab Franc, I thought it was Cot, the website reveals it’s a blend which was the conclusion we eventually came to as well. My favorite of the four and a buy.

Sounds like a mixed bag of tricks but with one goodie. Funnily enough I nearly bought a Saillard by accident recently - I shall try and do so next time I see one. The only drawback to both would appear to be the awfully trendy-cool-hipster side which produces hits or misses in equal amounts!

2009 was the last bottling of the Côt and IIRC it is all the old vines.

Yes, sorry to be unclear. I meant that 2014 was the last CRB vintage altogether.

You weren’t, my comment was meant as an addition. Was a nice surprise to see this show up in CT. I was also surprised that I don’t see more notes from you, I would have expected more overlap in our cellars.

It was a nice note, thanks. I often say things like “life affirming” about CRB. There is nothing that quite replace them. I jealously hoard my remaining bottles to open with select people which is really a shame since this is not what Catherine and Didier ever had in mind. Visits to CRB were some of the most formative of my wine “journey”.

I justify my own tendency to save my CRBs to drink with certain people as an act of public service. Introducing people to the magic of CRB while knowing that they most likely will never be able to experience it again seems cruel. Better for them not to know what they are missing. On the other hand, sharing them with others who value them like I do is one more opportunity for each of us to experience and celebrate something special.

My note taking and wine consumption have both declined in recent years and I still don’t have my inventory in cellartracker. More time for both these days. One of the few sort of pleasant results of the whole covid mess.