TN: Various - Goodfellow, Ojai, Domaine Pinson

OK, gonna pit the Chards against each other:

2017 Domaine Pinson Mont-de-Milieu: Meh. Nice and crisp, I suppose, but not even close to the Louis Michel I had about a week earlier. Just felt acidic and with not that much finesse. A supermarket wine. 86-87pts.

2016 or 2017 Ojai Vineyards Chardonnay: Sorry, wife threw away bottle and I can’t recall what year it was. But we drank it right after the Chablis. I was dreading the oak, hospital, medicinal finish of Chardonnay, but instead got rewarded with a floral crispness. Really nice wine. Bigger and less acidic than the Chablis, but kinda blew the Pinson away. Now, paired against the Louis Michel from a week earlier - hmm, hard pick. I’d have to go Louis. Just a little crisper and fresher. But what a great Chard the Ojai was - I’m impressed. 91pts

Now to something different:

2015 Goodfellow PN Durant Vineyard: Again, a last minute decision. Scramble to decant. After 10 mins, I take a sneaky sip, knowing it’s not ready. First thought is: “man, this Marcus fella sure likes to do extended maceration on his Pinots”. Obscured fruit, huge tannins, no real end. Then another glass 30mins in - much different. Finally towards dinner about an hour later, it’s a completely different wine. Now there’s a lot of fruit (I couldn’t tell you which), a smoothness, the tannins have mellowed and there’s even an almost tawny sweetness poking through. My god, really nice. What a shape shifter. 92-93pts.