Why Am I Buying Wine?

Even the most optimistic analysis of post-virus life is bleak, and the pessimistic ones do not imagine any ‘post-virus’ time at all. The great restaurants can not recreate themselves in their former style, dinner parties of 12 people may be impossible for a long time if ever. It is starting to dawn on me that I have no idea how I will ever be able to enjoy the contents of my collection. Any thoughts about what keeps people’s spirits up that they keep buying and writing here as if nothing had changed?

Counterpoint: For me, great wine has no higher purpose than to be served with a home-cooked dinner, eaten with loved ones. And the present and future–even if it’s as bleak as you present it (which I doubt, but that’s for a different thread)–will showcase home cooking more than ever.

Counter-counterpoint: I too don’t understand the “buying … as if nothing had changed.” Recent auction prices are lunacy. My willingness to pay full tariff right now for wine–even my favorite wines–is severely diminished and I suspect it will remain that way for some time. By contrast, I’m placing greater value on delicious, soulful wines I can open with roast chicken on a Tuesday. Yesterday I passed on a good Krug offer–one I would have jumped at a couple months ago–but instead picked up some '16 Jadot Beaune 1ers for $28/per that I’m confident will provide great enjoyment.

Even the most optimistic analysis of post-virus life is bleak, and the pessimistic ones do not imagine any ‘post-virus’ time at all. The great restaurants can not recreate themselves in their former style, dinner parties of 12 people may be impossible for a long time if ever. It is starting to dawn on me that I have no idea how I will ever be able to enjoy the contents of my collection. Any thoughts about what keeps people’s spirits up that they keep buying and writing here as if nothing had changed?

David - I don’t understand the logic at all. Do you only drink your wine in restaurants or at dinner parties?

If it’s such an occasional thing, I guess I understand but that seems like a very limited way to enjoy wine. And if it’s not something you enjoy other than in those environments, why bother at all?

We have it every day.

Maybe it is not a good thing, but I am drinking more than before. What a good time to enjoy the fruits of your collection on your own or with family. And, per C. Fu’s post, there are ways to consider doing some virtual tastings where you distribute each other’s wines among your friends and tasting group compatriots.
I think things will eventually return to normal…and whether that is a year from now or less or more, who knows.
We have generally had our group tastings in private settings at home, so I am less concerned about larger group settings in restaurants, but I think things will eventually come around, though it may take longer.
When things are shitty, what better time to have great wines in the cellar.

I think we’re all buying wines because we are holed up with an iPad in our face and we want some comfort and gratification. I noticed auctions were soft early in the shelter in place, but then it went bonkers. People paying stupid money, so I bailed for now.
As far as drinking, what better time to open special wines?
And plus I ain’t drinking as though nothing has happened…
I’m drinking (more!) precisely because of what’s been happening!! [snort.gif] [drinkers.gif]

Learn how to cook. I can understand if your buying has decreased or shifted to less expensive wines, but even your big hitters will go well with a well cooked meal at home. Some of the best restaurants in my area are also doing takeout.

Wine has always been a part of connecting 1:1 with my spouse over a meal. Even before this mess, we cooked together on either Friday or Saturday.

Wine played a part in restaurants and dinner parties for us too, but those are things that will return in time. Try to be patient: After all, Presumably you are aging some of your wines for 20+ years. :smiley:

Nothing beats home cookin.

Dopamine. You’re addicted to the feeling of buying wine. Stop collecting wine, and you’ll find something else to fill the void and release that wonderful dopamine.

My friends and I have been doing virtual wine tastings like C Fu and they’ve been really great. Consider this if you want to share wine in the near term.

The MOST optimistic analysis of “post-virus” time you’ve seen anywhere is “bleak”? Huh? Like, life is never gonna get better than “bleak” from here on out? C’mon there is a lot of information out there that suggests things are going to be way better than that!

Keep on buying – you’ll most likely have plenty of wonderful occasions to drink great wine at home or at restaurants and many chances to share it with lots of friends again!

Thanks for all the less dire thoughts.

I fundamentally don’t understand this. Whose analysis projects no “post-virus” time at all? If you think we’ve entered the end times, then who cares? Buy all the wine you want at whatever prices you can find! If this is not, in fact, the apocalypse, and unless, this disease is different from every other one that has plagued humanity in the past, there will be restaurants and parties in the “after time”. The bubonic plague was vast orders of magnitude worse than Covid, but as you may have noticed, it’s been some time since we’ve worried about it. And last I checked there was wine and restaurants after it too.

Live fully until…

We all tend not to be honest enough with ourselves that discovering wines, acquiring them, shopping for deals, and owning them, is a big part of the wine hobby.

We want to believe, or at least say, that we solely do it in order to have the wines to drink, but that clearly is not the case. If I found out that I have one day left to live, would all the wine I had bought but hadn’t yet drunk be some huge mistake? Of course not. It’s been a great experience.

I am not buying at a ridiculous rate but I just personally love the thrill of buying bottles I’ve been wanting to try. Most of what I drink is relatively small production stuff so very often when I see a desirable bottle online I can’t help but think that it might be the only time that particular vintage is available for me. Also most of my consumption happens at home so I don’t see how the current situation affects that at all.

Not sure why your ‘enjoyment’ of wine should wane. This will pass. Restaurants will come and go as they always do. People will get together, celebrate, live, love, and go their ways. Life may need a reset, a break, but there are always little victories to celebrate. As long as there is a human spirit and life force, there will be wine. Enjoy! (or, to quote that old polka song: “In heaven there is no beer, that’s why we drink it here”)

I am with you on this!

+1

Couldn’t agree more. I drink 99% at home anyway, so this has had no effect on me; if anything it has actually increased consumption. But to see folks who can’t seem to enjoy wine outside the setting of some fancy restaurant with a dozen buddies and 20 bottles lined up, well, I think that says a lot about their relationship with wine.

this!

I also am buying wines to support wineries that I hope are still here and making wine when all this is over and done, from shops that I hope are still there selling wine when all this is over and done. even to drink at restaurants that I hope are still there when all this is over and done (whatever that looks like). but at our house we’ve always drank more with food I make at home than at restaurants, just because we eat at home or have dinner parties with a few friends far more often than going out.