TN: 2016 Alain Voge Côtes du Rhône Les Peyrouses

Voge seems to enjoy this questionable reputation around here as not traditional enough but what I tasted (all pre-2015) at the Ampuis wine fair a couple of years ago seemed to suit my palate pretty decently. I just love the 2016 vintage in the Northern Rhône so I was very keen to try this entry level bottling. No matter what expectations I had they were exceeded with great ease. For someone looking for Cornas-esque experience at a very low cost this is the ticket. Not that long ago I had a postmodern Vin de France bottling from Cornas that was in no way what I would hope to get from this appellation. This is exactly what I would hope for and one of the best QPRs in a while. I just have to buy some more while it’s still readily available.

• 2016 Alain Voge Côtes du Rhône Les Peyrouses - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (22.4.2020)
    Somewhat reductive on opening, decanted for 45min. So classic on the nose (read: Cornas-like) with savory dark fruits (blackberry, dark cherry), grilled meat, smoke and ground black pepper. The nose is as masculine as they come, this is some real macho man stuff. On the palate somewhere between medium and full bodied with very nice density, a beautifully chewy texture and strongly gripping ripe tannins. What I find really great about it is this uplifting and refreshing acidic streak that makes it extremely enjoyable while being very far from the glouglou stuff. Despite the tannic grip the finish is very long with a lip-smacking effect. Overall this wine is what I would call a civilized powerhouse and the value it offers is just astounding.

Posted from CellarTracker

Glad to hear this note – I have some of the Chailles and VV from 2014, and got a bit scared reading some of the hate on here… sounds like I may be ok.

I love Voge, including this bottling. Sometimes I wonder if the wines are just too clean for some of the traditionalists around here. They certainly taste true to place to me. This CdR bottling is a great value in good vintages.

Ooka? [barf1.gif]

No, a young gun called Cyril Courvoisier. Regarding Voge being too clean for some I suppose you are right but good for us, happy to get this so cheaply compared to Les Iles Feray for example.

I also got the 2014 Chailles. Based on what I’ve had I’m not too worried. Also Clusel-Roch gets some hate here but I just can’t understand what they are talking about!

Ilkka,

Another terrific note! Couldn’t agree with you more regarding the treatment of Voge in these parts. Not sure why they get such a bad rap for supposedly being a modern winery as all of the wines I’ve drank have essentially been textbook Cornas. I have not had the pleasure to try a bottle of the Les Peyrouses but your note combined with the price will have me on the hunt. Here is my note from the 2010 Chailles:

Decanted for roughly 2 1/2 hours. I don’t have a ton of experience with Cornas, but kept hearing that the wines would be right in my wheelhouse – a generous combination of savory with complimentary fruit. The wine was a nice dark magenta out of the bottle. From my first sniff as the wine tumbled into the decanter, I knew this was going to be my kind of wine. An intoxicating mix of sauvage, meat, earth, and intense dark berries. The nose was literally a meal unto itself and led me to exclaim to my wife that dinner was no longer needed. The palate was tight at first but after awhile reluctantly gave everything a carnivore desires including bacon fat and grilled meats. Just think of a heaping plate of grilled meats topped with an unsweetened dark berry marmalade and finished with a squeeze of acid and sneaky tannin. The wine is very young but expertly exhibiting the traits of a traditional Cornas. As I said, a meal unto itself. 95 pts.

I’ve also drank the 2011 VV twice and while it possessed some fruit, it was not modern in the least bit. Looking forward to drinking my last bottle soon!

Wow, you certainly got me excited about Les Chailles with that note! Regarding the reputation I don’t know, maybe it is the side-by-side comparison with the uber traditionalists/more Burgundian styles of the region at wine tastings (or in general) that is the reason. Then again I’m more of a one bottle at a time kind of guy so when I’m drinking something like this I am enjoying it for what it is and not thinking how the fruit purity matches up with the likes of Gonon or Allemand.

Great points! I guess I’m in the ‘one bottle at a time camp’, myself.