TN: 2000 Château Sociando-Mallet (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)

• 2000 Château Sociando-Mallet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (4/20/2020)
    Decanted 6 hrs. Getting right to the case, yes this had a clear green streak running through it; yet it also had a lovely depth of sweetness that I found it a very intriguing wine. Furthermore, it just felt right to me, the underbrush, cedar (maybe I need to drink more Chinon?) the green pepper, cassis all paired perfectly with a spring lamb stew. I’m surprised to see a lot of notes on CT that have this at maturity or even on the decline, I just didn’t see it last night, this has many good years to go. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Dale -

If you like this vintage of Sociando, you definitely need to drink more Chinon! This is one of the most Chinon-like vintages of Sociando that I have ever had. Surprisingly, it comes from a so-called solar vintage. I like it too, very much, but will admit, some bottles show very green.

On the green spectrum is it green bell pepper or more savory herbal note like basil?

If bell pepper, I’m out, but I find the savory herbal note classic in BDX.

Bell pepper.

Very strong bell pepper in my last bottle (a year ago). Well beyond the herbal notes of Loire Cab Franc IMO…

I’ve had this twice recently. One bottle exhibited strong bell pepper flavors, so much that I found it almost undrinkable. The other bottle did not show these traits at all and was quite pleasant. So, I’m confused.

Same here! :slight_smile:

I’ve noted before this vintage of Sociando has variability. I’ve gone through about a case. If you do not like pyrazine notes in your wine, do not buy this vintage of Sociando. It can range from very pungent green bell pepper to just a subtle hint. I’ve even had a bottle that was too much green for my yak palate.

I had one bottle of this that I didn’t think was very green, and I can’t stomach Chinon. It was a good wine but won’t be buying again based on this thread.

Thank you for sharing your notes. 2000 was a great vintage in Haut Medoc. Great wines, with an opulent character.

Bell pepper is a wine making/viticultural flaw.

Mint, basil, thyme, oregano, etc…are savory notes that add lift and interest.

Absolutely bell pepper.

I really enjoyed this flawed wine then and I’m ok with it.

Different strokes…and that is okay.

This out of the way, let stalk some Chinon :slight_smile:

I have zero bottles and can’t remember the last time I had one. Who are a few good producers / bottles to start with? I have a pretty broad palate and can appreciate most styles of wine in general.

I disagree it’s generally a flaw but do think one could make the case here on this vintage of Sociando. Now on the flipside, then you must concur that late picking, ABV of 15%+ and toasted oak, etc., are also flaws and not a style, right?

Aha, all you need to know:

Perfect! Should be fun to go through that thread!