TN - some Shelter-In-Place favorites

Opening cellar bottles for some extra home entertainment while sheltering in place.

• 2010 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (4/18/2020)
    Two hour decant before serving, noted at three hours. Deep ruby color. Savory secondary aromas of bay leaf, smoked paprika, dried thyme & hibiscus flower; dried dark fruits - plum & blackberry; with sanguine and sous bois notes. The bouquet evolves. A bit angular and austere structurally at first, the wine rounds out nicely as it goes. Shows notes of spiced blueberry & plum, with a dense yet expressive secondary core (see above). Thick and juicy on the mid-palate, with full finely-textured and supple tannins. Compelling depth on the finish. Excellent - into its secondary stage with plenty of primary fruit. Recommend a three hour decant. Drink/hold. (94 pts.)
  • 2016 Smith-Madrone Chardonnay - USA, California, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District (4/17/2020)
    Light gold color. Aromatics of stone fruit with hints of citrus, hazelnut & clove, rose hips and crushed stone. Yellow pear fruit on the palate with secondary lemon verbena, layered spices and crushed mineral notes. Richly textured in the mid-palate with fleshy round structure, offset with moderate nicely-integrated acidity. Finishing with breathy notes of citrus and white pepper, and very solid overall depth and length. (92 pts.)
  • 2016 Stéphane Ogier Syrah La Rosine - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes (4/11/2020)
    Bright deep garnet color. Pleasing aromatics of red cherry, tea leaf, smoked paprika, pressed lavender, bay leaf, white pepper and lavender. Nice fruit expression on the palate, almost a zesty note along with the red fruit, with well-melded secondary. Elegant and classy medium weight. Very well-integrated texture - juicy acidity, round-voluminous tannins. Nice depth throughout. It’s an excellent time for 2016 entry-level Northern Rhones. (90 pts.)
  • 2010 Ciacci Piccolomini d’Aragona Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (4/5/2020)
    Three hour decant. Deep ruby color. Aromas of black cherry, smoked paprika, dried violet, leather, hints of allspice - a bit reticent on the nose. Rich on the palate, with layered succulent red fruit and secondary depth - savory spices and florals with hints of worn cedar. Broad through the palate, amply structured with integrated acid and thick smooth tannins. Finishes with hints of pleasant bitterness and good overall length. Big and brawny, could use some more time but opening nicely over the evening. I’d add a point if the nose weren’t as reserved. (92 pts.)
  • 2006 Château Pontet-Canet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (4/4/2020)
    Four hour decant. A bright dark garnet color. Exotic aromatics of red currant, star anise, cardamom, sandalwood, black tea, rose hips and tapenade. Vivid black cherry and currant flavors highlighting seamless secondary integration. Medium weight, with plush and expansive middle texture. Finely structured with terrific integration of full fine tannins and acidity that accents high tones throughout. Evocative finish with excellent length. Very early secondary phase. Drinking beautifully. (95 pts.)
  • 2016 Château Génot-Boulanger Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Vergelesses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (4/3/2020)
    Pale lemon color. Expressive key lime, orange blossom, hazelnut, nutmeg and toasted almond aromas. Zesty citrus flavors over a core of mineral and dried floral spice depth, with just a bit of beeswax to the texture. Finely structured, dense but expressing nicely, acid is well integrated. Nice depth and length on the finish, with lingering hints of quince and stony earth. Very nice. (92 pts.)
  • 2012 Adelsheim Pinot Noir Ribbon Springs - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (3/28/2020)
    Dark ruby color. Dark and savory aromas - braised fig & date, sandalwood, wet forest & mushroom, paprika spice, fresh thyme and juniper. Broad and rich on the attack, with brightness to the fruit and a melange of woodsy earth & mineral, root spices, tea leaf and hints of cedar to the depth. Densely textured middle, with roundly integrated acid and tannins, and flavors that breathe through the finish. Excellent. Needs a decant. Drink/hold. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice bunch of wines. Thanks for the notes. I have to re-think Cali chards.

Thanks Mark.

I tend to like AFWE-styled California Chardonnays. That said, I’m a sucker for Napa Valley mountain AVA Chardonnays. The Smith-Madrone is fairly rich, but has enough acid to lift it.

I recently had a very underwhelming bottle of 2010 esprit. Initially I thought it might just be the vintage as it seemed very stewed. But since have had a wonderful 2010 En Goblet so was thinking more that it was a bad bottle. Your note seems to confirm that, so thanks.

I’ll apologize in advance for the pedantry, but a “brace” as a measure of quantity means a pair.

Pedantry accepted! Correction made. newhere

It was austere at first serving (at about the 2 hour mark) and the fruit had a hint of VA. Plenty drinkable, I was just wondering if it was going to be a great bottle. At about the three hour mark it hit peak stride as it filled out and gained purity to the fruit. Seemed like I was catching it a really good time.