TN: 2005 Hospices de Beaune Mazis-Chambertin Cuvée Madeleine Collignon Bouchard Père et Fils

Many of you no doubt remember the Hospice Auction Group from the old eBob days, and our successful bid for the 2005 barrels. With quarantine, I figured - what the hell? Let’s give a Mazy a try with duck tonight. No duck yet, but I’m looking forward to the paring. Infanticide certainly, but not wasted! Bright color, no fading (nor expected), the wine offers up soaring aromatics on the nose - bright and fresh red fruit, earth, and spice. On the palate, still wound up tight, with firm tannins, and sharp acidity. I believe this will be a great wine in time, but for now - hold ‘em if you got em.
IMG_5236.jpg

With friends , I bought a barrel of this , all magnums . Elevage by Lucien Le Moine . Awesome wine , I agree with your assessment . I will not touch them for at least another 10 years or so .

I bought in on this one with David. Haven’t heard from him in a LONG time. The 05 Volnays I bought have all been nice. Bouchard did the elevage and I thought it was very successful. Thanks for taking one for the team. I think I have 2 or 3 left. I will hold them.

Also bought the Mazy with HAG and find them unyielding. I managed to buy Bouchard’s own Mazy (also 2005) and the later one has been more accessible and fuller in comparison. All in all, I prefer 2009.