Which Red Burgundy would you buy under $400 to drink now?

If you had a budget of $400 US dollars to spend on a bottle of red burgundy (to drink now) which one would it be?

Since you are planning to drink it now, I would try to find something with age on it. Buying an expensive Burgundy and drinking it young is a waste IMHO.

Have you drunk much Burgundy? If so, who are your favorite producers? If not, why are your starting with a $400 bottle of wine?

For a recommendation, I think the best value in Burgundy today in higher end Burgundy is Rossignol-Trapet Chambertin. Don’t know the prices these days but I bought some 2001 a couple of years ago from the winery for about $200 or so. My guess is that it is higher at retail here in the US. It need time. The 2001 is excellent, but really not at its peak yet.

None, all expensive Burgundies (and approaching $400 is still expensive) require aging to be any good.

He can buy an aged one!

At the risk of being repetitive, I like the Rossignol Trapets as well. Also the Trapet Chambertin may just be around that price.

Also Dujac premier crus, Tremblay premier crus, Drouhin Amoureuses.

Hubert Lamy! However, there are so many awesome producers outside of the main circle in Saint Aubin and Saint Romain. Also, some forget that Grand Cru Chablis is a real bargain compared to those a few km south. Finally, I am a huge fan of Faiveley. Finally most wines on the market now 2016, 2017 need 5-10 years before really enjoying.

96 or 02 Lambrays

I’d search for an Amoureuses!

If I had Wine-Searcher Professional, then at that general price point I would search for the very best vintage of Hubert Lignier Clos de la Roche which I could afford.

At Cellar Tracker, the early notes on the 2015 are exceptionally encouraging, and on Free Wine-Searcher, you can just about squeeze it into your budget.

PS: In my very limited experience, Trapet makes big lush plush soft blowsy Pinots which would serve as excellent bait for luring a dinner crowd of newbies over to The Dark Side, but for a seasoned old Burgundy cynic, I don’t know that Trapet’s Chambertins would deliver the goods quite like an epic H.L. CdlR.

You should be able to do well around $2-250.

Hubert Lignier or Dujac village or 1er from 02 or older (recently grabbed 1990 Hubert Lignier MSD 1er vv for $275).

Also Jadot CSJ or Beze from 02 or older. Also recently grabbed some 2000 Beze and 01 CSJ for $115-189.

2007 Fourrier CSJ
2007 Bruno Clair Chambertin Clos de Beze
2007 Mugneret-Gibourg Clos Vougeot

Might be able to find these ~400

I’ve had a few Burgs, so far it has mainly been from the Nuits St. Georges. I have really enjoyed Chevillon, specifically Vaucrains and Cailles.

Thanks for the recommendations will do some research.

Easy query for me if I had that kind of dosh: a late 90’s Meo-Camuzet Clos de Vougeot. Very nice if you can find one.

There are dozens of answers to this question, depending on your mood or inclination.

Ask me this question every night this month and I’d give you a different but defensible answer.

Tonight I say: Mugneret Gibourg Chambolle Musigny Feusselottes with some age on it.

Goisot Corps de Garde Rouge 2016 and then another 15 bottles to age with the remaining $375.

Something from 1990, 1985 or 1978, if available also 1971 or 64 … it depends … you can easily say I’d buy a 1970 Latour … but Jean Gros Richebourg … or Leroy Echezeaux … or Andre Cathiard Malconsorts … that’ s much harder (+proveniance)

… fortunately I’ve already got some bottles …

Joe,

You are getting a lot of good recommendations from a lot of people, but it is going to take a lot of work on your part to find any of these wines.

I think most people, including me, have suggested that it is a waste of money to spend that much on a bottle to drink now unless it is a bottle with age on it. Young grand cru Burgundy can be rich and full of fruit, but it also can be tannic and acidic and IMHO virtually never have the magic that comes with age.

And, that is the problem. With exceptions, I tend to buy Burgundy when young and age them myself. Almost all of the wines listed are very small production wines and are grabbed by collectors when they first come onto the market. The prices of the wines can vary greatly from retailer to retailer for the most prized bottles. I know of grand crus that are priced at about $150 a bottle if you can buy directly from the producers (largely people who have been visiting the producer for many years and years ago got an allocation to be able to buy directly from them) but can cost around $700-800 a bottle in retail stores in the US. Older wines tend to be available at auction or from retailers who have purchased collections from individuals, etc. Thus, storage is always an issue unless you are dealing with a retailer you really trust.

I recommended Rossignol-Trapet because I know that as of a couple of years ago they were still selling 2001 Chambertin and Latricieres Chambertin at the winery at outstanding prices and thus thought of that as something that might be more findable in the US market. Certainly, there are other great producers of Burgundy and most of the wineries being recommended are quite good. But, for the most part, these are really small wineries, the wines are gobbled up young by collectors and finding aged ones will require a lot of work on your part.

There are two wineries that are bigger where you might have greater luck finding aged examples - Jadot and Drouhin. Drouhin wines tend to be on the more elegant side while Jadot wines tend to be more muscular and masculine. Because these wineries make larger quantities, aged examples might show up more regularly on auction websites, etc. They are not generally the very top quality, but they make excellent wines that are pretty reliable.

The bigger question is what is this $400 wine for? A special dinner? Dipping your toes into high(er) end burgundy? That’s dangerous… Hypothetical question?

As Howard says, some bigger houses can be easier to find…in case of Jadot, I think Bonnes Mares, Chambertin Clos de Beze, and Clos St. Jacques are 3 of their best holdings/wine. On WSPRO you can find a 1996 Bonnes Mares, 2002 Clos St. Jacques, and 1999 Clos de Beze for under $400.

Yeah. While it’s nearly impossible to answer the original question – despite price escalation there’s a near-limitless supply of excellent red burg for under $400 – if you’re looking for something with age and availability the big houses are a good place to start.

One to consider: 1998 Jadot Clos de Beze. I’ve now had this several times over the past couple years and each time it has been phenomenal – clearly superior to much more expensive wines opened alongside it. It’s in a beautiful spot, just on the precipice of maturity. And it will be far less than $400.