Best Sub-$100 White Burg

Inspired by an off-topic discussion in Sarah Kirschbaum’s Ramonet/Raveneau thread, I pose a simple question: what is the best sub-$100 white Burg?

My tentative vote: Buisson Charles Meursault ‘Gouttes d’Or”

Honorable mention: Bouchard Perrieres

At one time it would have been Boillot’s Puligny Clos de la Mouchere but that’s now an $100+ wine.

I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts.

1)Dauvissat Chablis(just the AOC bottling)

1. Francois Mikulski, Meursault

2. Walter Scott Ex Novo

1 Like

Current low on WineSearcher for Buisson Charles Meursault ‘Gouttes d’Or” is $109.

I bought my last bit for under $100 but I suppose it’s creeping over. Dauvissat Forest would have gotten a nod to but I now consider that a $100+ wine.

I also like Henri Germain and Vincent Dancer under $100.

What does the board think of J-M Gaunoux’s Gouttes d’Or?

Fevre Preuses (with careful sourcing)
Latour Giraud Meursault Genevrieres (non fancy pants cuvee)

Ryan, agreed that Bouchard Meursault Perrieres and Vincent Dancer Bourgogne (in great years) can be up there as well

1 Like

Bouchard genevrieres over MP for me.

Niellon Chassagne single vineyards

Tough question given how much pricing can vary. For example Dauvissat Forest and Raveneau MdT are available to some for well under US$100 but probably not as a rule. Pricing has also accelerated quite a bit, so what was under $100 last year may be no longer! I will put a couple of candidates out there, probably large houses from CdB for “proper” white burg are the best bet as as chances are they will still be under $100 next week, but there’s tremendous quality coming from regions now too:

• Domaine Chartron Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru Clos du Cailleret
  • Bouchard Meursault 1er Cru Perrieres
  • Drouhin Beaune “Clos de Mouches”
  • Jules Desjourneys top Pouilly Fuisse cuvees (Vignes Blanches and Vignes de la Cote)
  • Guffens Heynen top Pouilly Fuisse cuvees depending on vintage and mood

Domaine Jean-Marc Vincent Santenay 1er Cru ‘Le Beaurepaire’ Blanc

Disclaimer: I import the wine into Australia.

1 Like

Hi Rauno, my thoughts exactly but my first reaction is “shssh”. Raveneau pricing for some of us is really good.

Brodie

You’d get no argument from me, Jeremy, and it’s $50 here. And, you could add his Santenay 1er cru Gravieres and 1er Auxey-Duresses Les Haute. And, if this were about reds, you could say the same for those.

Others:

Cherisey Meursault Blagny 1er cru La Genelotte
Cherisey Puligny-Montrachet 1er cru Hameau de Blagny
Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er cru Les Caillerets
Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er cru Les Vergers Clos St. Marc (really old vines; 2017 will stop you in your tracks; has just how nudged over $100)
Bachelet-Monnot Puligny-Montrachet 1er cru Les Referts
Bachelet-Monnot Puligny-Montrachet 1er cru Les Folatieres
Rollin Pernand-Vergelesses 1er cru Sous Fretille (hard to distinguish from Corton-Charlemagne and it’s closer to $50 than $100)

My vote right now would be with Marty. Of those on his list I would pick the Cherisey Meursault Blagny 1er Genelotte. This is a consistent winner and still priced well. BTW Marty, The 17 JM Pillot Clos St Marc is incredible. The Niellon Chassagne Chaume Clos des Truffieres would be way up there too but the price has now pierced $100.

Jeremy, good call.
A few other contenders.
Jacques CarillonPuligny Montrachet
JM Pillot Puligny Les Noyers Brets
LeRoux Bourgogne Blanc
Billaud-Simon Les Clos

1 Like

Certainly, I would put Bouchard Meursault Perrieres on the list. A couple of producers not mentioned are Heitz-Lochardet and Christian Moreau

There’s honestly still so much, especially if you look beyond Meursault-Puligny-Chassagne (even if those wines also generally remain cheaper ex-domaine than the best domestic Chardonnay from California or Oregon, both DTC and wholesale - indeed, most wines from Coche-Dury, DTC, would be eligible for this thread). But in no particular order:

Bruno Lorenzon Mercurey 1er Cru Pièce 15, Clos des Barraults and Champs Martins
J-M Vincent’s Santenay 1er crus
Dureuil-Janthial Meix Cadot VV and Grésigny
Guffens-Heynen (Verget would dominate a sub-50 list)
Marc Colin Saint-Aubin En Montceau
Lots of bottlings from Olivier Lamy
Lots of bottlings from Pierre-Yves Colin
Jules Desjourneys

With these producers, you are getting first rate winemaking, serious vineyards and great farming, even if the appellations don’t have the most name recognition.

With all of the,

Henri Germain Meursault Perrieres
Henri Boillot Meursault Charmes
Jadot Meursault Charmes
PYCM Saint Aubin En Remilly (Nicholas et Mathis)
PYCM Chassagne 1er
PYCM Meursault Narvaux
PYCM Les Ancengenieres

I have to admire your tastes - in this post and the next you’ve listed nearly all of the white burgundy producers I buy every year. However, based on US pricing after tariffs, these are no longer under $100 wines…other than the Rollin Sous Fretille, which I agree is a fabulous bargain.

Frankly, this is not a great time to be buying Burgundy. My guess is that next year prices will be better IF we have a new President and the tariffs go away. So, I am not buying that much right now. I have plenty of wine in my cellar and will wait.

This is true, but I don’t think the next several vintages are necessarily going to be all that great. Rock, hard place, etc.