TN: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

• 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (4/17/2020)
    Cellared from release…saw my last two bottles were slightly leaking, so I decided to crack one open. The cork was pretty spongy, but intact. Brilliant metallic gold, green tinge color…AMAZING nose of sweet peach tea, candied tangerine, apple farm, honey, wet slate, slight smoky petrol, apple blossom florals. Well…this thing is fresh as a daisy! Still has a little spritz tingle…the lemon/grapefruit acidity is refreshingly cutting right through the super rich fruit, almost like a Sauternes viscosity…sweet and botrytised…yet with amazing chalky slate minerality that totally drys out the sweetness with wonderful salinity. This wine is effortless…balanced to perfection…SO complex and a true joy to drink! I always wonder why I don’t drink more of these…especially given the friggin price! Wtf? (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I have a case of this at Auslese level. Time to peek?

Would! Any leaking? I’ve got one left(bottle not a damn case!)…those were such great buys on release!

If you like it young, yes.

I am not opening any of my bottles for probably another ten years. Still working on spätlese from the mid-1990s.

2001 Prum is special. So special that I tore through mine like a madman. Sadly…

It’s good to hear that all the pieces of the puzzle are coming together - back in the day, the WS was rather more disjointed than the GH [which was perfect right out of the gate].

Try to exercise the self-discipline to wait until at least Thanksgiving Day, 2021.

Then you can pat yourself on the back because you gave the wine two full decades to settle down.

In fact, opening a JJP WSA would be a really nice Thanksgiving Day tradition [if not every year, then maybe every second or third year].

I’ve tasted the 2001 WS Auslese twice in the past two years. Fantastic, but very young and primary.

It’s really good now. As is the ‘02. And the ‘98.

The ‘95 is the wine to drink now. ‘97 is in the zone as well.

The ‘95 WS Spatlese was an absolute stunner in January. The ‘02 Auslese was just as good and a tad less developed but took a day to open.

you must be a young pup. I have to face actuarial reality.

and by the way, we are all praying that the wife eventually lets you back in the house and cellar. Nice garden, though.

Had a 2001 Prum WS Kabinett in January. It also was fabulous. Have a few more Prum 2001s and look forward to drinking them. These are fabulous wines.

And the 2005.

That kabi is really someone. A wow wine.
A

This is a great wine. Glad to have a bunch.
Great note. Tempting me to open another soon.

Had the 2015 Kabinett today. Beautiful youthful and expressive. My problem with Prüm is that I love them young and I love them aged.

Not young, but overly optimistic.

Agreed