HDH Burgundy Auction

Well you wouldn’t know anything is going on in the world based on early bidding. Lots of stuff going at more than high estimate.

yep. Looks like the people with the big money still have the big money. Especially with financial help coming from the government.

Suspension of disbelief time!

Just wait six months when the stock market craters. Time to buy Chave and Raveneau.

As a casual observer, what surprises me is not the bid levels – most things seem to be coming in within the estimated range – but the amount of activity. Multiple live bids on everything. You really get the sense of a bunch of bored people sitting at home playing the auction. Boredom and being stuck at home, as opposed to some sophisticated take on future income or valuations, may be an underrated factor in driving more auction activity. It’s like online poker for wine freaks.

yeah, but only $32,000 for ten bottles of 1999 Roumier Amoureuses so…

just kiddding

Also, anyone want to drop two grand on this?

Est: $1,700 - $2,600
LIVE AUCTION
A Celebration of Burgundy (Apr. 17 & 18)
PRODUCER
Maison Ilan
SIZE
12 x 750ml
CATEGORY
Red Burgundy
DESCRIPTION
2009 Chambertin, Maison Ilan
Rated: 92-94 AM

TASTING NOTES
“…ripe red currant, wet stone, warm earth and a game…outstanding detail and verve…the mouth feel is really quite silky…a lovely sense of balance and proportion.” (92-94 points) Allen Meadows, Burghound.com, Issue 41, 1st Quarter 2011

Let’s not attract more interest to these auctions. I’m trying to win some lots. neener

wow a single 96 Truchot magnum just went for $4500, 50% above the high end estimate

Good to see all that stimulus and fed money being put to use.

Nuts indeed! Even the younger vintages are going above the retail price.

Like a friend of mine said, the buying demographic is not part of the 20m US initial jobless claims.

And most.of them are now working at home.

There’s a big selection of truchot coming up (lots 1091-1112) that includes the 2006 Les Sorbes, which makes me think perhaps I might know the consignor (and, no, it’s not me).

Does this auction seem to be taking a long time or is this how slow they usually are?

Much slower than usual. More bidding activity than usual ha.

Yes, so much for keeping this under our collective hats. [swearing.gif]

The good news is I don’t have to worry about arranging for a 3rd party shipper.

I guess this is the same phenomenon as when the stock market zooms up despite millions of UI claims. Surreal.

$5500 for a 6 pack of 2011 seve du clos [popcorn.gif]

Interestingly bidding seemed to calm down quite a bit once “working from home” hours ended.

Utterly gutted today. I guess a plebeian git like me will never have the dosh to afford proper Burgundy. Heading back to the cellar for some plonk to drown my sorrows.