Bedrock Late Spring Impromptu Release - April 21

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Scott Silton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Bedrock Late Spring Impromptu Release - April 21

#101 Post by Scott Silton » April 21st, 2020, 11:59 am

I missed the save the save the date message, so when the offer dropped this morning I was delighted to see the 2011 Weill Trio.

I could have gotten restocked to a full set of 9 Weill a Way Trios, but balked at the $185 to replace my accidentally opened 2013v3. Even though I probably could have flipped the full set of 9 for a tidy profit, I'm looking forward to recreating a side by side tasting of the 2011s when our social distance is less distant. Yummy Syrah, some of the best 2011s made in CA IIRC.

Plus the Karatas, Barbera, Papera -- great offer.

There will be many buying opportunities in the coming year for those of us lucky to have a secure income. I'm going to have to start passing on good offers now because it appears that just about every winery is trying to draw in as much fully priced revenue before the secondary wave of layoffs starts hitting middle management / their customer base. Not to be crass, but we should probably wait for the restaurant glut to build up a little more.

That being said, it's easy to support Bedrock right now with their fair pricing over the years and continued excellence and value across the lineup.

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Philip G » April 21st, 2020, 2:50 pm

Picked up about a case and a half, mostly Rose and OV Zin for cellar defenders and went for a few of the Expositions even though they're pricey, would like to see what the fuss is about.
Chip G@@d

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 21st, 2020, 3:28 pm

Got my case in.

Morgan, thanks for being so transparent in what’s happening on the winery side. Honestly, I’d be happy to donate to a GoFundMe or whatever if it helps in even a small way to maintain some cash flow for you and the Bedrock crew.

Brian
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Gabe Berk

#104 Post by Gabe Berk » April 21st, 2020, 3:30 pm

Philip G wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 2:50 pm
Picked up about a case and a half, mostly Rose and OV Zin for cellar defenders and went for a few of the Expositions even though they're pricey, would like to see what the fuss is about.
Cellar Defenders sounds like a perfect name for a declassified cuvee for under $20 i.e. 2018 OVZ. I got more to pop and pour during quarantine as well as the 2018 Syrah. Quite possibly the best California QPR's!!!

A. Cox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by A. Cox » April 21st, 2020, 3:33 pm

Excited to try the Barbera, Lucien Red and Pagani Ranch Heritage! Big fan of the rose, too!
Audrey

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Michael Martin » April 21st, 2020, 3:35 pm

Not sure if there is any of the ‘15 Under the Mountain left, but I have had the 2012 vintage of the Bedrock Carignan and it was excellent. I bought the two I was allocated of the ‘15 Carignan.

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Peter Shurman » April 21st, 2020, 4:24 pm

I know I was allocated an across the board selection earlier today.
I guess i waited too long to respond to the offers ... oh well.

[cheers.gif]
keeping those ITB in business

JamesH

#108 Post by JamesH » April 21st, 2020, 6:00 pm

Been lurking on the forums for years and buying Bedrock for about a decade now. Figured I'd finally post something.

Like a lot of others I appreciated the transparency Morgan gave in the release write-up. My intention was to plug a hole with the 2011 expositions, which I had missed in the initial release, and pick up a few more bottles, maybe a case. I ended up with 2.5 cases including a full set of the 9 exposition wines.

Particularly excited for the 2014 Puccini as my second, and last, bottle of 2013 Earthquake Relief Puccini was 'accidentally' consumed by my 'better half' while I was out of town for work.
H e l s s e n

markjchambers

#109 Post by markjchambers » April 21st, 2020, 7:09 pm

I was hoping to get some Exposition syrahs, but circumstances preventing me from getting on the website until 5 pm EDT and that was too late. As someone relatively new
to the list I would have bought some other library wines, but too late there also. Oh well.

Mark Fister
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Mark Fister » April 21st, 2020, 7:41 pm

Morgan,

Thanks for the insight. I recall all too vividly the financial crisis back in 2008 and following years. It warms the heart to see you (and others) stepping up to help those in need. I fear that this will be worse than what we saw a little over a decade ago and hope that I am wrong. On the positive side, congratulations on the family side and best wishes for better times ahead! Hopefully, things get good enough that we can get back to some degree of business as usual and folks can resume visiting favorite local restaurants as well as visit Sonoma and Napa wineries, restaurants and more!

Best regards,

Mark

Morgan Twain-Peterson

#111 Post by Morgan Twain-Peterson » April 22nd, 2020, 10:41 am

First off, thank you everyone for your response to this release. It was beyond our greatest expectations and virtually all of the wines are sold out- I got a little misty yesterday seeing orders come in and am again now thinking about it. I have not done the final tabulation yet but we will be able to donate tens of thousands of dollars to the James Beard Foundation and the Restaurant Workers Community Foundation which I cannot be happier about. Thank you thank you thank you.

Also wanted to circle back around on a few things. Unfortunately we do not have very many half bottles on hand so cannot provide them at this time. Knowing there is demand for them is great though and we will look at bottling some in upcoming vintages for future releases. I personally love splits (particularly with non-drinking wife at the moment) but they are a bit involved from a bottling/labeling standpoint so good to know the added complications are worth it.

Hats. Wow. Every release there is a surprise but if you told me the most in-demand item this time would be hats I would have been floored! We received over 180 requests for lids and have only about 70 on hand right now. I have an email in to our supplier to re-up and get a timeline for making more- a lot of production timelines have understandably been lengthened due to the current situation so will see how fast we can get them. If you would like a t-shirt in lieu of a hat please email us at orders@bedrockwineco.com and we can figure something out. Again, thank you, cannot wait to see them out in the world!

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Jeff_M. » April 22nd, 2020, 10:59 am

Morgan Twain-Peterson wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 10:41 am
First off, thank you everyone for your response to this release. It was beyond our greatest expectations and virtually all of the wines are sold out- I got a little misty yesterday seeing orders come in and am again now thinking about it. I have not done the final tabulation yet but we will be able to donate tens of thousands of dollars to the James Beard Foundation and the Restaurant Workers Community Foundation which I cannot be happier about. Thank you thank you thank you.

Also wanted to circle back around on a few things. Unfortunately we do not have very many half bottles on hand so cannot provide them at this time. Knowing there is demand for them is great though and we will look at bottling some in upcoming vintages for future releases. I personally love splits (particularly with non-drinking wife at the moment) but they are a bit involved from a bottling/labeling standpoint so good to know the added complications are worth it.

Hats. Wow. Every release there is a surprise but if you told me the most in-demand item this time would be hats I would have been floored! We received over 180 requests for lids and have only about 70 on hand right now. I have an email in to our supplier to re-up and get a timeline for making more- a lot of production timelines have understandably been lengthened due to the current situation so will see how fast we can get them. If you would like a t-shirt in lieu of a hat please email us at orders@bedrockwineco.com and we can figure something out. Again, thank you, cannot wait to see them out in the world!
Glad to be able put in a nice order. I picked up a hat last summer tasting at the Hooker House. Its a really nice hat for anyone who is looking for one.

[cheers.gif]
Last edited by Jeff_M. on April 22nd, 2020, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache

robkim

#113 Post by robkim » April 22nd, 2020, 12:25 pm

Very awesome, it's not hard to support what you are doing both at the winery and for those in need of help.
Morgan Twain-Peterson wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 10:41 am

MikeMy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by MikeMy » April 22nd, 2020, 6:54 pm

Emily just emailed me saying I was one of the lucky ones to get the lid. I will wear it often and proudly hoping it spurs a conversation about Bedrock. [dance-clap.gif]
My=Myers

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » April 22nd, 2020, 7:04 pm

Would love to see Bedrock in 375. I wish I could trade half of my “cellar” for 375s.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 22nd, 2020, 7:05 pm

What's the T-shirt design? I'm interested.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Michael Martin » April 22nd, 2020, 7:25 pm

375’s in the future would appeal to me.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by Rick Allen » April 22nd, 2020, 8:00 pm

This is the first Bedrock release I'm going to miss since I signed up in 2014. The beer business is likely worse than the wine business right now.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by Mattstolz » April 22nd, 2020, 8:27 pm

would love bedrock splits!!

Also like Brian interested in a Bedrock T-shirt as well!

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#120 Post by Adam Frisch » April 22nd, 2020, 9:25 pm

Half a case in, despite being broke.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

James Mc

#121 Post by James Mc » April 23rd, 2020, 10:21 am

order in off the wait list. Cant wait for the LuLu and OVZ
M c c o r m i c k

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 23rd, 2020, 6:16 pm

Popped a bottle of 2019 Lulu tonight. It's rosé crack.

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by AD Northup » April 23rd, 2020, 6:26 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 6:16 pm
Hope you got more this week!
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 23rd, 2020, 6:27 pm

AD Northup wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 6:26 pm
April 23rd, 2020, 6:16 pm
Hope you got more this week!
I did not. Still have 10 of 12 bottles from my original order earlier this year though :)

Jim Slatin

#125 Post by Jim Slatin » April 23rd, 2020, 10:50 pm

Not only do Morgan's and Chris's wines rock, especially for the price, but their customer service is incredible--which is a big reason why I will always be a loyal customer. Not only are Morgan and Chris great guys, but their entire team, or better yet family are incredible. We are particularly big fans of Jackie who has always been great to us. My wife and I both take care of patients in separate hospitals and have been emotionally impacted by patients and their families impacted by the virus, but also the financial impact of many people in our lives. for those reasons I felt guilty when thinking about buying wine when people are struggling, but then I realized that helping awesome people like you guys at Bedrock helps, even more so when you are helping the restaurants and their employees who are in need.

I was worried because I was working a shift in the hospital on Tuesday during the release, but Chris and Jackie were willing to put some bottles aside for me if I couldn't order in time. It just so happened that I was able to take a load off for a green tea break (I'm one of those rare coffee haters) and I saw the offering and was able to get an order in. Kudos to you guys for going above and beyond by considering those of us working in hospitals.

Thank you Morgan, Chris, Jackie and the rest of the team. You are all incredible human beings and I will continue to be a loyal customer as long as I am able

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by Rich Brown » April 24th, 2020, 7:04 am

Jim Slatin wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 10:50 pm
Not only do Morgan's and Chris's wines rock, especially for the price, but their customer service is incredible--which is a big reason why I will always be a loyal customer. Not only are Morgan and Chris great guys, but their entire team, or better yet family are incredible. We are particularly big fans of Jackie who has always been great to us. My wife and I both take care of patients in separate hospitals and have been emotionally impacted by patients and their families impacted by the virus, but also the financial impact of many people in our lives. for those reasons I felt guilty when thinking about buying wine when people are struggling, but then I realized that helping awesome people like you guys at Bedrock helps, even more so when you are helping the restaurants and their employees who are in need.

I was worried because I was working a shift in the hospital on Tuesday during the release, but Chris and Jackie were willing to put some bottles aside for me if I couldn't order in time. It just so happened that I was able to take a load off for a green tea break (I'm one of those rare coffee haters) and I saw the offering and was able to get an order in. Kudos to you guys for going above and beyond by considering those of us working in hospitals.

Thank you Morgan, Chris, Jackie and the rest of the team. You are all incredible human beings and I will continue to be a loyal customer as long as I am able
Just an awesome story Jim. And a huge thank you to you and your wife as well for everything that you're doing!

And for the record.....I'm with you on the coffee thing ;)

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by AD Northup » April 24th, 2020, 7:28 am

Agree on the awesome story! However, as I sit here on my third cup (as influenced by crappy rainy weather and a toddler that doesn’t sleep), I can’t fathom a life without coffee...but based on the “10 things I don’t like” thread, it seems about 50/50

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Peter Petersen » April 24th, 2020, 10:18 am

I finally managed to login and place a small order. It's been years, actually since the website was first revamped. Missed out on all the good stuff and couldn't buy the Cab, but I was mostly really keen on getting more Evangelho and so I took that.

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by Peter Petersen » April 30th, 2020, 7:34 am

Any news on wishlist items? Wished for two Pagani.

Tom W

#130 Post by Tom W » May 8th, 2020, 6:03 pm

April 17th, 2020, 9:23 am
Dear Brian,

We hope you're all staying safe and well during this time. We're grateful for all those who have reached out to check in – feeling very fortunate to have technology to communicate with loved ones and some good wine to enjoy.

Like everyone close to it, we are gutted by what is happening to our friends and partners in the restaurant industry, from layoffs to restaurant closures and overhauls to business operations. We are feeling the economic ripple effects ourselves as wine delivered to those restaurants cannot be paid for without future sales in sight.

To that end, we have put together an impromptu Bedrock release, scheduled for Tuesday, April 21st, from which we will donate 20% of profits to organizations assisting folks in the restaurant industry. This release is going to be a little different than usual, as the small quantities make guaranteed allocations impossible to calculate— as a result, all wines will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis. The release itself will contain a variety of wines including:

A limited collection of library wines dating back to the 2011 vintage, including some of our highest scoring wines (we're looking at you, Weill Exposition Series), along with some fun 1-2 barrel oddities we've made over the years and never released (2017 Shake Ridge Barbera, for instance).
The opportunity for you to re-order some Bedrock staples that had been committed to restaurants—Lulu, Old Vine Zin, California Syrah, Bedrock Heritage, and Evangelho (we've heard from many people that your stash of these wines is depleting rather quickly at the moment...us too).
A few smaller-production 2018 wines we had originally slated for the fall release.
Given the first-come, first-serve nature of the release we want to make sure those on the front lines of health care and other essential businesses are taken care of in case you are busy when the release launches— we will be keeping some of all the wines to the side, so please let us know if you want anything and we will be happy to accommodate. We'll share more details next Tuesday, including information about contactless pick-up for people with will-call orders. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please let us know.

On a separate note, we wanted to let you know Morgan will be online with Antonio Galloni today (Friday, April 17) at 5pm Eastern Time / 2pm Pacific Time, tasting and talking about wines from Sonoma Valley's oldest vineyards. We'd love for you to join: Zoom Direct Link | YouTube Live

Best,

Morgan and Chris
Does anyone know if there is an archive of that Galloni Zoom with Morgan?
W a r d

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » May 8th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Tom W wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 6:03 pm
April 17th, 2020, 9:23 am
Dear Brian,

We hope you're all staying safe and well during this time. We're grateful for all those who have reached out to check in – feeling very fortunate to have technology to communicate with loved ones and some good wine to enjoy.

Like everyone close to it, we are gutted by what is happening to our friends and partners in the restaurant industry, from layoffs to restaurant closures and overhauls to business operations. We are feeling the economic ripple effects ourselves as wine delivered to those restaurants cannot be paid for without future sales in sight.

To that end, we have put together an impromptu Bedrock release, scheduled for Tuesday, April 21st, from which we will donate 20% of profits to organizations assisting folks in the restaurant industry. This release is going to be a little different than usual, as the small quantities make guaranteed allocations impossible to calculate— as a result, all wines will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis. The release itself will contain a variety of wines including:

A limited collection of library wines dating back to the 2011 vintage, including some of our highest scoring wines (we're looking at you, Weill Exposition Series), along with some fun 1-2 barrel oddities we've made over the years and never released (2017 Shake Ridge Barbera, for instance).
The opportunity for you to re-order some Bedrock staples that had been committed to restaurants—Lulu, Old Vine Zin, California Syrah, Bedrock Heritage, and Evangelho (we've heard from many people that your stash of these wines is depleting rather quickly at the moment...us too).
A few smaller-production 2018 wines we had originally slated for the fall release.
Given the first-come, first-serve nature of the release we want to make sure those on the front lines of health care and other essential businesses are taken care of in case you are busy when the release launches— we will be keeping some of all the wines to the side, so please let us know if you want anything and we will be happy to accommodate. We'll share more details next Tuesday, including information about contactless pick-up for people with will-call orders. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please let us know.

On a separate note, we wanted to let you know Morgan will be online with Antonio Galloni today (Friday, April 17) at 5pm Eastern Time / 2pm Pacific Time, tasting and talking about wines from Sonoma Valley's oldest vineyards. We'd love for you to join: Zoom Direct Link | YouTube Live

Best,

Morgan and Chris
Does anyone know if there is an archive of that Galloni Zoom with Morgan?
It's on YouTube.

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#132 Post by Greg Gardner » May 21st, 2020, 2:36 pm

Just received my shipment - trying very hard not to pull a cork on the Shake Ridge Barbera immediately...

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 21st, 2020, 2:39 pm

Mine's on its way...sadly going to be in the 80s when it's traveling around. Hoping for the best.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

KenL.

#134 Post by KenL. » May 21st, 2020, 2:51 pm

Received mine yesterday. Perfect timing as the warm up started here today. 80 right now. Also got my Desire Lines dropped off by Emily yesterday.
Lobel

Alan Comroe
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by Alan Comroe » May 21st, 2020, 3:28 pm

Yeah mine’s on the way to the East Coast also shipped Tuesday looks like Fedex delivery next Wednesday. Timing of this shipping was a little strange

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#136 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » May 21st, 2020, 3:29 pm

Mine is on hold because of the weather, sad face.

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#137 Post by AD Northup » May 21st, 2020, 3:40 pm

Same here, Bedrock incoming for Wednesday, Desire Lines held back...

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by Peter Petersen » May 21st, 2020, 3:51 pm

My measly stash of 6 bottles is supposed to arrive today. One Fedex truck has already delivered packages today, but not my wine :-(

James Mc

#139 Post by James Mc » May 21st, 2020, 4:37 pm

Mines on way to east coast as well, delivery set for 28th. I previously got an email that it was on a weather hold, so I was surprised to get the tracking info this morning that it was on its way. I reached out and got the below response:

“Thank you for your email.

I believe our fulfillment team was trying to take advantage of a small window of a break in temps before we fully get into summer weather temps without a break until the Fall. Looks like it was going to be in the mid to high 70s and then in the low 80s while the package is in-transit.

If you open the bottles in the coming weeks, or even down the road in a few years, and you feel at any time that your wine quality has been compromised, please let me know and Bedrock will make good on that.

Or if you prefer that we return the package to us, I can do that as well and we can wait to ship until a later date.”

Class act of course, wouldn't expect anything less. Glad to hear they will stand behind their wine if it is compromised. Obviously hope that doesnt happen. I will say I’m excited to get the LuLu’s, had mentally prepared not to get them until Fall, so excited to open those during the summer.
M c c o r m i c k

b. c@stner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#140 Post by b. c@stner » May 21st, 2020, 6:12 pm

Received the email that shipping was being delayed because of the weather. I then asked if we could hold until Fall. No problem, shipping now set for October.
b 0 b

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#141 Post by Brent S » May 21st, 2020, 8:25 pm

My wines showed up today in so cal
Brent S

S Karnik
GCC Member
GCC Member

#142 Post by S Karnik » May 21st, 2020, 9:08 pm

+1 SoCal
FedEx delivered this afternoon.
SK

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#143 Post by Jeff_M. » May 21st, 2020, 11:58 pm

Got mine delivered today. Tiny weather window and they nailed it
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#144 Post by Michael Martin » May 22nd, 2020, 5:42 am

On the truck for delivery today.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#145 Post by Brian Tuite » May 22nd, 2020, 6:35 am

We’ve already popped another Lulu and Judge. neener
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#146 Post by Geoff F. » May 22nd, 2020, 6:10 pm

Mine arrived in Seattle today. Couldn't have asked for better shipping weather.
F r a n z

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#147 Post by Michael Martin » May 22nd, 2020, 6:17 pm

Case is here. Bottle of Barbera open...excellent.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#148 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » May 22nd, 2020, 6:41 pm

Envious of everyone's cases arriving, damn weather!

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#149 Post by Jeff_M. » May 22nd, 2020, 10:27 pm

Got mine tucked away at my off site locker and brought most of a case home to enjoy. Super excited to try some older Bedrock. Got some of the Weill a Ways that I stashed to get more age on them.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

John A Hunt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#150 Post by John A Hunt » May 23rd, 2020, 6:13 am

SoCal delivery arrived yesterday; one day late from Feed-Ex.

Delivered to the office after 4:00 PM, which creates another challenge... Facilities folks have created some hurdles to enter the building.

Return to “Wine Talk”