Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Bedrock Late Spring Impromptu Release - April 21

#151 Post by Mattstolz » May 23rd, 2020, 9:58 am

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 6:41 pm
Envious of everyone's cases arriving, damn weather!
im right there with you. as soon as i saw the shipping date in the release i knew it was gonna be a problem. emailed them a few days after the release to see about shipping earlier but no could do. looks like im waiting till the fall.

John Preston
GCC Member
GCC Member

#152 Post by John Preston » May 23rd, 2020, 11:06 am

My mixed case just arrived! Starting to warm up here in Chicagoland so I am glad that it arrived sooner than expected...

Cheers,
JP

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#153 Post by Steve Gautier » May 24th, 2020, 5:54 am

I wish mine had been held. Shipping in a pandemic to a stay at home region over Memorial Day weekend with the hot temps predicted this week would not have been my choice and I should have insisted they be held.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Rajesh P a r i k h

#154 Post by Rajesh P a r i k h » May 24th, 2020, 6:33 am

Steve Gautier wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 5:54 am
I wish mine had been held. Shipping in a pandemic to a stay at home region over Memorial Day weekend with the hot temps predicted this week would not have been my choice and I should have insisted they be held.
Ditto. I’m sure Bedrock will do the right thing if wines are damaged, but I’m not happy that my wines are spending the weekend on a truck in Chicago.

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#155 Post by Andrew Demaree » May 24th, 2020, 7:08 am

Looks like mine have made it to the last FedEx stop and have been loaded onto a truck for delivery, but will now sit on the truck until Tuesday, when they are now scheduled to arrive. Temps will be in the upper 70s today and tomorrow, and upper 80s on Tuesday. My deliveries usually come mid-afternoon. Not great. Hoping for the best.

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#156 Post by Andrew Demaree » May 24th, 2020, 7:50 am

Happy to report that the FedEx update was wrong and the wine was just delivered. Much better than Tuesday afternoon!

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#157 Post by Steve Gautier » May 24th, 2020, 9:53 am

Andrew Demaree wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 7:50 am
Happy to report that the FedEx update was wrong and the wine was just delivered. Much better than Tuesday afternoon!
Sunday delivery. That’s nice. One of my boxes says Thursday even though it is less than 50 miles away.

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#158 Post by Andrew Demaree » May 24th, 2020, 10:05 am

Yeah, I’m not sure if they’ve always done that or if that’s new with the higher volume of home deliveries. I can’t remember getting Sunday deliveries before the coronavirus hit, but I think this is my third since then.

Four more days for 50 miles would drive me nuts. I’ve seen them hold shipments at the area hub when they’ve arrived earlier than expected. Like they wouldn’t want to surprise anyone by exceeding expectations.

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#159 Post by Stephen Faulkner » May 24th, 2020, 11:06 am

Steve Gautier wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:53 am
Andrew Demaree wrote:
Sunday delivery. That’s nice. One of my boxes says Thursday even though it is less than 50 miles away.
Similar here, but only 30 miles and scheduled for Tuesday and not expecting a Sunday surprise. I can appreciate that this probably drives Morgan and Chris (and all winemakers) nuts, but it is definitely confusing on the consumer end. My tracking shows it took a week from the time it was tendered to FedEx to when it was picked up. Then, picked up on Tue which pretty much guarantees the holiday weekend in the warehouse for the east coast. Envoyer ships Monday and it arrives Friday. Wine is the only item I can think of that I order that has such a random and difficult delivery process.

Anyone else getting the 'suck it up" treatment from FedEx? The last two deliveries, the guy stands at the door with the box in his hand to give to me with no mask, then gets pissed off when I ask him to just set it on the porch and politely decline to touch his signature pen and pad. Last time he angrily wrote "C19" in big letters and stormed off.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 24th, 2020, 11:25 am

Stephen Faulkner wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 11:06 am
Anyone else getting the 'suck it up" treatment from FedEx? The last two deliveries, the guy stands at the door with the box in his hand to give to me with no mask, then gets pissed off when I ask him to just set it on the porch and politely decline to touch his signature pen and pad. Last time he angrily wrote "C19" in big letters and stormed off.
Not at all.

Nobody (FedEx or UPS) is expecting a signature here. They used to ask my name to enter it on their handheld device, but now they know it. They put the box wherever I want it. All the drivers are wearing masks and gloves.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

#161 Post by Jeff Bloom » May 25th, 2020, 12:10 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 11:25 am
Stephen Faulkner wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 11:06 am
Not at all.

Nobody (FedEx or UPS) is expecting a signature here. They used to ask my name to enter it on their handheld device, but now they know it. They put the box wherever I want it. All the drivers are wearing masks and gloves.
Drivers here haven't been wearing masks or gloves but neither UPS nor FedEx have been asking for a signature. A few have waited to ensure an adult opened the door and took in the box, acknowledged with a wave.

Back to the original subject, not at all thrilled with the shipping situation. I got the weather hold email and assumed it would be held until the fall. I must have skipped over the shipment email as I now see it's been going across the country in areas that are seeing near record heat. Anticipated delivery is Thursday but it's currently in Maryland, so it will probably get here Wednesday in 80+ weather.

I got a retail shipment yesterday that was only en route a day and a half from NY and the bottles were warm to the touch. I'm not being optimistic about the Bedrock shipment.

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#162 Post by Steve Gautier » May 26th, 2020, 12:10 pm

Steve Gautier wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:53 am
Andrew Demaree wrote:
Good news is that it came today. Bad news is that the bottles were very hot to the touch.

Evan Tunis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#163 Post by Evan Tunis » May 26th, 2020, 12:17 pm

I'm in South Florida so knew the heat would be an issue. Had them ship it two days and asked them to put in ice packs to keep it cool-they happily did.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#164 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » May 26th, 2020, 12:20 pm

I also had mine delayed over the wknd. I mentioned it to Chris and he said they would replace them if they were heat damaged.

amjohnstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#165 Post by amjohnstone » May 26th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Yep, mine sat in a warehouse in Chicago over the weekend. Ugh.

And I tried to grab them on Friday without success.
Andrew Johnstone

Alan Comroe
GCC Member
GCC Member

#166 Post by Alan Comroe » May 26th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Mines been out for delivery since this morning on a hot truck. Keeping my fingers crossed Fedex actually delivers it today so it doesn’t repeat tomorrow

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#167 Post by Bud Carey » May 26th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Mine arrived today..... Yay!!!
Last edited by Bud Carey on May 27th, 2020, 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Budman

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#168 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 26th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Managed to redirect mine to a local Walgreens, as I was out hiking today. We'll see. It was on the truck until after 3 PM, when the temperature was 82 degrees.

James Mc

#169 Post by James Mc » May 26th, 2020, 5:20 pm

One box showed up today, other is coming tomorrow (not sure how they got split up?!)
M c c o r m i c k

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

#170 Post by Jeff Bloom » May 27th, 2020, 6:33 am

Mine got delivered yesterday, fortunately in the morning so the box didn't sit on a hot truck all day. Warm to the touch but no seepage or other signs of damage (a benefit to not having a capsule on the bottle).

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#171 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 27th, 2020, 6:40 am

Just picked mine up at Walgreens. Bottles look fine. I can’t see any staining up the corks. Was planning on drinking these near term anyway, so looks like OK on the wine front.

The styro shipper is another matter. What a freaking mess! Little balls everywhere! The thing looks like a bomb went off. Have to go vacuum the basement before the wife loses her mind!

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#172 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » May 27th, 2020, 6:54 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 6:40 am
Just picked mine up at Walgreens. Bottles look fine. I can’t see any staining up the corks. Was planning on drinking these near term anyway, so looks like OK on the wine front.

The styro shipper is another matter. What a freaking mess! Little balls everywhere! The thing looks like a bomb went off. Have to go vacuum the basement before the wife loses her mind!
I received my last Bedrock shipment with cardboard shippers. I thought they abandoned styro?
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#173 Post by Greg Gardner » May 27th, 2020, 7:08 am

Mine had styro this time too, after having pulp shippers the last two shipments. Maybe they decided to err on the side of providing some sort of thermal protection?

Jeff_D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#174 Post by Jeff_D » May 27th, 2020, 7:24 am

My case went to offsite storage and I won’t be able to check for a few weeks. It appears the box sat on a trailer in Chicago from Friday night until Tuesday then was delivered Tuesday midday. How would I know if there is heat damage if nothing visible—open them all? Maybe I’ll get lucky and they are fine.
————-
1L1B3RTO

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#175 Post by Michael Martin » May 27th, 2020, 7:35 am

May 27th, 2020, 6:54 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 6:40 am

I received my last Bedrock shipment with cardboard shippers. I thought they abandoned styro?
Styro is back, at least on this shipment.

Rory K.

#176 Post by Rory K. » May 27th, 2020, 8:02 am

Received mine here in LA, already popped the Karatas and Lulu, both in good form.
K i n n e a r

ITB

Mark Jaffee

#177 Post by Mark Jaffee » May 27th, 2020, 8:14 am

Jersey in the house. Came on Monday.

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#178 Post by JeremyMullman » May 27th, 2020, 8:22 am

Greg Gardner wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 7:08 am
Mine had styro this time too, after having pulp shippers the last two shipments. Maybe they decided to err on the side of providing some sort of thermal protection?
I’ve read a few producers say they are having sourcing issues getting non-styro shippers right now. I suspect it’s that.

GaryShull
GCC Member
GCC Member

#179 Post by GaryShull » May 27th, 2020, 8:33 am

Looking forward to trying the Kamen sourced cab and reminds me of a funny story when we visited Kamen Winery for a tasting last year. He is a Hollywood screen writer most widely known for Karate Kid. One day, a winemaker knocked on his door and sold him on idea of replacing his current winemaker with him. She wasn’t too happy when Kamen fired her so she wrote a scathing, multi page separation letter and signed it, “Wax on, f*ck off”. Kamen liked it so much he made t shirts for the staff

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#180 Post by AD Northup » May 27th, 2020, 4:53 pm

Tried to be good and have mine sent to Walgreens for pickup, now been in limbo after having left the Philadelphia transit location for two days...only had about 25 miles to go, so unsure how it could be out for delivery to Walgreen’s for multiple days (since my understanding is that these aren’t moved on normal delivery trucks?)
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#181 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 27th, 2020, 4:55 pm

AD Northup wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 4:53 pm
Tried to be good and have mine sent to Walgreens for pickup, now been in limbo after having left the Philadelphia transit location for two days...only had about 25 miles to go, so unsure how it could be out for delivery to Walgreen’s for multiple days (since my understanding is that these aren’t moved on normal delivery trucks?)
They are moved to normal delivery trucks. At least in my area they are. My local driver drops at two Walgreens in my local area every day.

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#182 Post by AD Northup » May 27th, 2020, 4:55 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 4:55 pm
AD Northup wrote:
They are moved to normal delivery trucks. At least in my area they are. My local driver drops at two Walgreens in my local area every day.
Good to know, thanks!

Update: delivery to Walgreen’s now “schedule pending”...so drove around in the 84 degree weather all day and didn’t even make it. Same boat as a lot above...anyone pop one immediately from the shipments that went through warm weather and have some feedback (won’t help with the 2013 expo series in the box though)

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#183 Post by Michael Martin » May 27th, 2020, 5:28 pm

AD Northup wrote:
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
AD Northup wrote:
Good to know, thanks!

Update: delivery to Walgreen’s now “schedule pending”...so drove around in the 84 degree weather all day and didn’t even make it. Same boat as a lot above...anyone pop one immediately from the shipments that went through warm weather and have some feedback (won’t help with the 2013 expo series in the box though)
I had the Carignan and the Barbera soon after receipt. Great wines. The ‘17 Barbara being more open than the ‘15 Carignan. That one can rest for a bit longer.

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#184 Post by AD Northup » May 28th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Wine finally arrived at a Walgreens after another full day on the truck. Good news is the bottles and corks all look fine, and the bottles were even just barely cool to the touch after only 30 minutes in the store, so hoping for the best. Obviously no idea until opening one, so will pop a barbera soon. Won’t know on the expo series for quite awhile

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

E. Mark Larson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#185 Post by E. Mark Larson » May 28th, 2020, 4:43 pm

For those who are aggravated by the styro shippers, and I agree that there are several reasons to be so, keep in mind that they do provide pretty good thermal protection to the bottles inside. I do not lose sleep when wine is delivered in 80 degree temperatures. It will take a while for heat to penetrate that styrofoam, and, then it has to penetrate the bottle glass. I really think it is going to take quite a few hours to do so.

I do get a bit concerned if my shipment has to sit in a warehouse over a weekend, but I am happy to report that the couple times that has happened, I saw no bad results.

My Bedrock delivery arrived last week--16 bottles. Twelve bottles were packed in styrofoam, and the other four were packed with that egg-crate cardboard. Yes, the styrofoam was damaged, and yes the bottles had plenty of those little styro balls stuck on them. I have learned that the most efficient way to remove those little balls off the glass is to step outside and just blow on the bottle. If I try to wipe them off with my hand they, then, stick on my hand.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#186 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » May 29th, 2020, 3:07 pm

PSA: 2018 Bedrock Old Hill Ranch reload at K&L

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#187 Post by Sean_S » May 29th, 2020, 3:50 pm

May 29th, 2020, 3:07 pm
nice wine. Glad I bought mine for $48 on release.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#188 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » May 29th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Sean_S wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 3:50 pm
May 29th, 2020, 3:07 pm
nice wine. Glad I bought mine for $48 on release.

Sean
Same, but I can never have enough OHR 😂

Brady Daniels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#189 Post by Brady Daniels » May 29th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Help! I’m drowning in LuLu!

(So good)
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#190 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 29th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 12:20 pm
I also had mine delayed over the wknd. I mentioned it to Chris and he said they would replace them if they were heat damaged.
Got mine on Sunday, but I live downtown in a high rise. Good luck with yours (and mine).

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#191 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » May 29th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Brady Daniels wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 4:35 pm
Help! I’m drowning in LuLu!

(So good)
Pulling a bottle out for a new "initiate" we we're visiting tomorrow :D

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

#192 Post by Jeff Bloom » May 30th, 2020, 7:42 am

Michael Martin wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 7:35 am
Styro is back, at least on this shipment.
Mine was shipped in the egg crate cardboard. While I hate it, styro might have been a better choice given the temps.

Morgan Twain-Peterson

#193 Post by Morgan Twain-Peterson » May 30th, 2020, 3:42 pm

JeremyMullman wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 8:22 am
Greg Gardner wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 7:08 am
I’ve read a few producers say they are having sourcing issues getting non-styro shippers right now. I suspect it’s that.
Apparently there are significant supply chain shortages with pulp shippers right now due to the current situation- when we asked Vinfillment if they could do all pulp they said they would try to do as much as possible but might need to supplement with some styro. To be honest, they have not been able to tell us yet what percentage got fulfilled with what- likely because they are also operating with a smaller, on-site, staff right now. COVID is definitely pressure-testing the entire path from winery to you guys so we really appreciate your patience with deliveries. As we have written to a number of folks now- if you have any concerns about wine condition please reach out and we will do our best to make it right!

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#194 Post by Peter Petersen » May 30th, 2020, 5:15 pm

Mine came in styro the week of 5/19. Probably not needed since it was a cool week for CA, I think. In fact we seem to live in a little cold bubble with highs being 70, when only 10-20 miles away temps are 20 degrees higher!

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#195 Post by Vince T » June 1st, 2020, 6:11 pm

Had the Barbera tonight. It’s stellar. I can’t remember if Morgan said they’re making it again in the future?
T s 3 n g

Return to “Wine Talk”