2018 Cameron Dundee Hills Pinot Noir

I stopped by Cameron today to drop off some beer, and John gifted my several shiners of the recently bottled Dundee Hills Pinot (one for my daughter, one for Marcus Goodfellow, and one for me). The wine is a dark ruby - darker than is remember this wine being in past vintages. The aroma shows very little of “Cameron funk”, just cherries, raspberries and strawberries. On the palate, the wine is richer and deeper than I would expect from Dundee Hills - to the point of almost tasting like something from Yamhill-Carlton. Perfect balance, few noticeable tannins. Really nice right now, but this wine usually ages very well. I understand that there is no Reserve Pinot in 2018 and this wine shows the additional stuffing.

Lucky Bastard! Seriously thanks for the note. I always try to procure a case of this juice, since you folks turned me on to it. Had a 16 RR not long ago and I thought that one was a little fat on initial release is doing just fine.

Rick, thanks for the note. Any thoughts on the recently released 2018 Ribbon Ridge Pinot Noir? Also, no 2018 Reserve Pinot Noir and a very small amount of 2018 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir this year, so as you suggest more stuffing in the AVA’s or more for the SV’s or limited bottlings for 2018?

James

James,
I don’t think John made as much wine in 2018. He had an issue at both Clos Electrique and Abbey Ridge with voles. They damaged a fair amount of the vines resulting less fruit and less wine. We didn’t get to make Spritz (our collaboration sparkling rose) because of the fruit shortage. I haven’t tried the Ribbon Ridge yet, which is kind of its own thing. There is more stuffing in the Dundee Hills. I suspect the amount of the SVD stuff will be similar to the past.