TN: 2016 Nervi Conterno Gattinara

I was anxious to see what Roberto was able to do in this vintage, having purchased a six pack from RWC. So in the interests of science I opened a bottle two days ago. PNP, pale crimson in color, very aromatic, and superb, uber-pure fruit. I don’t know much of the back story on this wine, I thought Conterno came on in 2018, but these are excellent raw materials he started with. Very traditional (no surprise), with deceptive length and body from what you would think from seeing and smelling the wine. Two days later, the wine has put on a little more weight and concentration, at the expense of its aroma, which has receded somewhat. Plenty enjoyable right now for its purity and balance but will wait a few more years before checking in again. All in all, my preferred style of nebbiolo and a winner to me.

Thanks for posting this, Greg. I was curious when somebody would. Sounds like a winner.

Yes, thanks Greg for the check-in & detailed notes. I love the '15 and bought a half case of that, recently and picked up a 3-pack of the '16 as well. Sounds like I should pick up a few more.

Thanks, Greg and Vince. I have a lone bottle of the '15, but I assumed I should hold off a few years on that.

If I had but one I would hold off as well. Based on this 16 I can see this being an annual purchase until the price gets out of whack. If you have tried Roberto’s dolcetto and barbera, sylistically this is in the same mold and those age really well.

Just finishing our 4th bottle of the 16 (in the last 3 weeks). I really love this wine. I definitely believe this will be one of those wines that we will talk about in ten years, “Remember when that was only $50??” These wines remind me of hypothetical Nebbiolo from Mt. Etna crosse with Howell Mtn, made by Conterno.

like John, i’ve been assuming i would need to sit on these. good to hear.

I bought four more of the 2016 yesterday, so I could cellar some and enjoy a few more in their youth.

Just popped a 2015 tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Love Nervi, my go-to Gattinara - thx for the note.

You guys all suck - at my age, the last thing I should be doing is buying more Nebbiolo.

Just ordered a case.

I enjoyed a bottle or two of the 2015 (and 2013) a while back, which was not unapproachable, and this seems fairly priced at just over 40 bucks on the east coast, so order is in.

HA Love this!!! Bob, this is the perfect buy because you can enjoy right now and also enjoy it all the years going forward. I just don’t imagine this wine ever not being pleasurable.