Storing paper wrapped bottles

I can’t seem to find a topic on the subject here. I finally got around to taking my recent shipment of Sine Qua Non out of the shipper and putting onto the shelves in my wine cellar. Up until now, I’ve left the paper wrapping on the bottles, but now I’m starting to feel like it looks a little sloppy, and more and more difficult to locate specific bottles. I wanted to get other people’s thoughts on whether you keep the paper wrapping or remove for long term storage? What are benefits and downsides to each route? Does it affect resale value in any way, if for some reason I wanted to sell in the future (no plans for this btw)?

I don’t think they add resale value. An unopened wood case where the bottles are wrapped inside of it, maybe something like that adds a bit of value, but I don’t think there is any practical or financial reason to store them in paper.

Having said that, we all to varying degrees appreciate the packaging and labeling of wines, and if you think it’s fun to have them still wrapped, it’s totally up to you. It doesn’t hurt anything.

Save the TP. [wow.gif] Does the winery sell just that?

The papers do get funky in a high humidy setting.

I don’t have much experience with paper wrapped bottles, but I can put my wine tags around the neck just like with all of the other bottles for easy identification. Also, I believe colored tissue can stain the labels, especially if the humidity is high.

Not a concern if re-use as TP. neener

The cellar at our house in Italy tends to get humid with labels developing mold. What I do now is to wrap most of the bottle body in cling film and end of problem. I just do it for the bottles that are going to have a longer time in the cellar. Could work the same for bottles wrapped in paper.

Takes me back to the days when our Champagne producer friends used to lovingly wrap each bottle in a thin white paper with a bold “Produce of France” on the outside.

The tissue paper wrapping prevents the actual label from nicked/scratched when u put in / remove from wooden racks… that’s probably the only benefit i see from them.

What would you consider high humidity? I keep mine around 60%

I unwrap my bottles, I like the clean look of just the bottle.

I think Mark has it. If you don’t move your bottles around much you don’t have anything to worry about.

If you handle the bottles much the paper will get misshapen and start coming off. It can be a real pain. And as someone else mentioned it does not add to resale if that is a concern.

When my bottles come I save the cardboard box that they were shipped in. I feel it’s a work of art. I particularly love the cellophane tape that seals the boxes.

The paper can also help minimize any light affecting the wine. Darker is better, right?

I love the smell of packing tape in the morning.

SoNitM.png

I toss mine out

My cellar is too humid as well so I have to remove the tissue and add plastic wrap to all my bottles. Without it, the label is unreadable in a decade.

I’m not a fan of the the paper wrapping, or the cellophane for that matter. They typically start looking ratty, especially if I have to move them in the racks due to changing inventory. The plastic wrap on clear bottles like Cristal reportedly serves a purpose, lessening the risk of lightstrike. Once the plastic loosens, it becomes sloppy as well. First world problems, but nice distractions.

Cheers,
Warren

I always unwrap my bottles and usually am pretty annoyed as I do it LOL. Total waste for me.

I am annoyed by the wrap in general. It doesn’t really do much good and takes time and energy to remove (and to put on I imagine). My cellar is dark and if the label nicks then so be it. I prefer the wrap without the sticker securing it in place (like Saxum, I believe) as at least it is easier to remove. Count me in as anti-wrapper.

I hope you save the stickers.

Sooner or later, every issue has come up here. See Tissue Wrap Preference and a Question, beginning with a discussion of the color of Scarecrow tissue, and leading to a broader debate of the merits of tissue wrapping.