TN: 2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs Côte de Val Vilaine

Posted from CellarTracker

I agree. It’s a great vintage for this wine.

love this wine. probably my favorite sparkling producer out there for the combo of deliciousness and price point

Very excited about my bottle in the mail, thanks for the note, David. Apart from the big houses, how does Bouchard stack up against other players at similar price points? I think of Chartogne Taillet, Egly Ouriet, Ulysses Colin, and Prevost in the same ballpark. How would you describe Bouchard’s house style?

Cédric really operates entirely on his own terms. Yields are around 25 hl/ha, lower than many top domaines of the Côte de Nuits to say nothing of the average in Champagne, France’s highest yielding AOC. Vinification in in stainless steel, with neither chaptalization or dosage. The prise de mousse is slow. And the wines finish up with four rather than six bars of pressure, so the mousse is very subtle. On cork, Cédric’s champagnes develop more like still wines, as the Maillard reaction-driven interactions between amino acids from sur lattes aging and sugar from dosage are not really part of the equation. The result of all this is very vinous, concentrated and intense Champagnes that combine remarkable depth of fruit and mid-palate volume with lively acids, complemented by the lower pressure mousse I already mentioned.

I have been tasting through some of his new releases and actually did a video about Cédric here: William Kelley on Instagram: "Cédric Bouchard produces some of my favorite wines in the world. In this video, I talk about what makes them special."

And I did a long essay on him last year here: Robert Parker Wine Advocate

1 Like

Great notes on Cedric Bouchard, William, enjoyed the video as well!

I opened a Côte de Bachelin, 2015 on Sunday. Smashing wine!

Thank you for the note on Cedric Bouchard.

Great information William, and apologies for the delay - I had the notifications off

1 Like

The 2015 Vilaine is a wine I have served some of my geek friends several times over the past 6 months. I get that raised eyebrow and smile. Says it all.

I really like this Champagne. Wish I could still find it for at or under $60. Those days seem to be over.