Are there any great wines still kicking from 1984?

We had a rhone wine dinner last year and had a couple 1984 white rhones. If you can find the Guigal Hermitage blanc from that year, it was bonkers good. The Chave Hermitage blanc was a bit too tired. I had an '84 Pichon Lalande a while back and while it wasnt great, it was a very nice aged claret.

Dunn Howell Mountain is a good one to seek out that should not be too crazily priced. I have not had it lately, but the 1982 is finally in a good place so I would think the 1984 will be as well.

Ch. Montelena estate cab

It has been years since I had it but Ridge Monte Bello was great and I bet it still is kicking.

Mediocre to poor vintage in Bordeaux and Burgundy.

Clape Cornas is still drinking well and I opened a Guigal Hermitage last year that was pretty nice

I had some very good white Graves from that vintage, but it’s been many years and I can’t say if the wines are still good. The wines as a category do tend to age well, though.

The Heitz Martha’s isn’t spectacular, but pretty good.

Second Ridge Monte Bello

When i was there last year I believe Mike mentioned that as the family favorite

1984 Dominus, trending towards apogee [???]…

[u]Search tasting notes for '1984 dominus[/u]' - CellarTracker

[u]https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/dominus/1984[/u]

Cellar Tracker notes seem to be strongly dependent upon provenance, with the best bottles being off-the-charts magnificent…

Just got 2 84 Graham Malvedos ok winebid tonight… They will probably be terrible but as an '84 child it’s worth the risk

I don´t think there are any “great” wines from 1984 to be found in the major wine regions in Europe.
However the Rhone-valley wasn´t as bad as Bodeaux or Burgundy. I´ve had some good bottles both from North and South.

As mentioned above Pichon Lalande was ok, as was for me Cos d´E, Ducru-B. and LMHBrion - but that was 15+ years ago.

I think in California 1984 was very good - right? But I´m not the expert on these.

I agree with all the people saying California. A great vintage there.

But in case you like Sherry, I’ll add that the 1984 Gonzalez Byass Palo Cortado is pretty spectacular and was still available last I checked.

I agree with Ridge Monte Bello. It’s been maybe 8 years since I had it, but good bottles should still be in a good place.

Also, any of the Diamond Creeks.

I third Ridge Monte Bello, but any mountain Cab from California should do nicely, especially if you can find Mount Eden. From the North Coast, add Mayacamas, Dunn, producers like Spring Mountain, Ritchie Creek, Diamond Creek (should be great, but will be $$$ if you can find it).

Dan Kravitz

Thanks all.

Had the '84 Kenwood Artist Series Cab about 2 years ago and it was delicious and should still be in great shape from a good source. And it’s probably reasonably-priced, too.

I just had an 1984 Mount Eden cab. This was singing. Very complex nose that changed many times over time. Leather, lead pencil, plum. Finish was long and very Bordeaux like. This was from a magnum. I am lucky to have one left.

Ridge MB is excellent though last one I had two years ago was on the decline from apex around 30 years.

Dominus was magnificent and in prime window about 7 years ago, though last one I had three years ago was tired upon opening and fell apart within an hour.

Chappellet signature (back then only the best vintages were labeled with signature) shockingly good for price, if you can find one now.

Dunn HM - opened last year and guessing my bottle was flawed - very thin and not much happening. Had 83 HM recently and that was singing.