Another "win a bottle" game - Guess the wine, 20 questions style - WE HAVE A WINNER!

Thanks again to Brig and Brian for running the “pick a number” games the other night and giving us all a little quarantine entertainment. As the winner of one of those bottles, and now that we’re all done identifying pictographs of Beatles songs, I thought I’d pay it forward a bit by putting up a bottle of my own and creating another game. This is what I came up with. Having never tried it, I hope it’s fun and not a dud, but there’s only one way to find out.

The game is basically “20 questions.” Whoever identifies the wine first wins the bottle, subject to the rules.

Here are the rules -

1. The wine has to be identified exactly. I need basically every bit of info typically used to identify the wine. I’m not saying this wine has all these things but if it does I need vintage, producer, variety, proprietary name, “reserve” or similar designation, single vineyard or cuvee name, appellation, whatever, whatever. If it’s the 2035 Château Todd “Berserker Cuvée” Cabernet Franc Pauillac, then I need all of that. But if it’s one of those wines where “cabernet franc” is not on the label or otherwise typically used to identify the wine, even if that happens to be the grape variety it’s made from, then you don’t need to say “cabernet franc.” You get it. If that is the wine, and you guess all that but also add an extraneous and incorrect word (like “reserve” if that’s not there), your guess will be wrong. I will be as literal as I can, so for a vintage 2035, both “is it from before 2035” and “is it from after 2035” will be answered “no.”

2. Every day, except when I don’t (I may or may not do this on weekends and some evenings are busier than others with my remote day job), I will post a “Go” message in this thread at around 5pm CDT, give or take. From that time until I knock off for the night, I will answer up to 10 questions. Any questions that are still unanswered as of the next morning will be ignored - that means you all were over 10 or it means I already quit for the day before you posted. Any questions posted during the day but before the “Go” message will be ignored.

3. Questions must be answerable by yes or no. I will try to stick to one of four responses - Yes, no, I don’t know, and bad question. I haven’t decided yet if I will count the latter two toward the 10 question limit. I probably will if there are too many of them, and not if there are only a couple.

4. One question per person, per day. You don’t have to wait until I answer the previous question - that is a strategy decision I will let you make. I will generally try to answer questions quickly, but I will bug out for an hour or two now and again to eat dinner or whatever.

5. All rules subject to change in my sole discretion - I’m doing this on the fly and want it to be fun. I won’t change the wine, I’ve already decided that. But, for example, if we have too many players for 4) to be appropriate, I will change it to one question every other day, per person. If we have too few players, I will change it to two questions per day, per person. Etc. I want this to take a few days, but not forever, and I hope many will play. When it gets close, I may also restrict new players from entering the game, depending on how many players we’ve had. So don’t sandbag!

6. To win, your question must be “Is it ____________” with the complete correct name of the wine. In the above example, if you ask “Is it the 2035 Château Todd ‘Berserker Cuvée’”, I will answer “yes” but I will not say “winner” because it is incomplete.

7. Due to stay at home and impending heat, I will ship your bottle in the Fall - 48 contiguous US states only, please.

8. I will of course try not to make any mistakes in my answers, but if I do, “sorry.” What I do about any mistakes will be up to me. If someone still guesses the bottle correctly despite my mistakenly giving a wrong answer to a question, that person still gets the bottle. Or, to borrow a favorite phrase, “all answers guaranteed wrong, or your money back.”

If you think I’ve missed anything and have a rule question or a rule suggestion, just post it in the thread - I won’t count that as one of the “daily 10.”

Have Fun (I hope)!

April 10 - Go!

Is it red?

No

Bubbles?

No

Old world?

Just for the sake of completeness, is it white?

Yes

Yes

Is it made from a single variety of white grape?

Yes

Is it Riesling?

Is it sweeter?

Yes - and curse you, MMW! Why do you always have to go straight for the Riesling? What’s wrong with a nice chardonnay guess first? [wink.gif]

No

French?

See rule 4.

Sorry

Is it German? 4/10/2020