Just finished another new wine book: Wine Girl

https://www.amazon.com/Wine-Girl-Obstacles-Humiliations-Sommelier-ebook/dp/B07TF91YMC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=KR5FQ5VKR7KT&dchild=1&keywords=wine+girl&qid=1586549600&sprefix=wine+girl%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-1

This is a safe link, from Amazon.

I posted a bit about this book in the other thread I had going about the champagne terroir book. Since that thread, I have finished the book by Victoria James called Wine Girl.

It’s main premise is to anchor around her experiences prior to (growing up) and within the NYC sommelier’s world. When I bought it, I figured it would spend most of the time talking about wine, unique and expensive bottles, the industry, etc. It did that, but not as its main focus. Rather, the book used this as a context, but went further into some of the painful, abusive experiences she had to experience as a woman in the industry, and as much the sexual and gender-based abusive events that helped form her into the person she is today.

At just over 300 pages, I knocked it out in just a few days. I couldn’t put the book down, as it was compelling to hear the stories and her narrations of the events. At times, it was painful to read, as I felt for her, as a man who hasn’t experienced what she had and yet how hard it must have been to be raped twice by people in the industry, as well as be abused by customers and even her family. It truly made me want to identify with her situation and how much resilience she had to show for surviving and thriving through these horrible situations.

To think we are a society still that doesn’t treat people as equals, where we think hate and abuse is tolerable and worthy of pursuing, it just is uplifting to see someone like her overcome these things.

I recommend the book for those who want to read as much about humanity and wine, together.

Beautiful sentiment, Frank, as always.

I remember her well from her time at Marea.
Was unaware of abusive experiences.

Thanks guys. I hope some of you order it, read it and then drop back here to post. We should spend time talking about treatment, culture, as much as we can talk about wine sales in restaurants. For so many of these people who now do not have jobs, who are not working, even folks on this forum who have commented their own stories about losing their job or letting others who count on them be told they cannot work. I appreciated her story, her struggle, and for all of you out there who in this business are being impacted right now…we have not forgotten about you.

Laura`s House type sensitivity Brother Frank. Appreciate you.

Just finished reading this book this afternoon. A very difficult story, but one that it’s good is being shared, as is continuing to happen in the restaurant and wine industry. Incredible that she has now been able to draw on a pain that I could never understand instead of suppressing it

I bought the book a week ago and plan on starting it once I finish the book I’m reading now.

There is an interesting Amazon review by someone claiming to be her older sister, Sarah Robinson.

I posted about this previously, Jeff. It would appear that both sisters have posted reviews, with one in support of the book and the other not.

Andrew, glad you read it. It’s indeed tough in some chapters, isn’t it. The positive aspect is that she is doing well, posting and sharing her story and connecting with others across social media like IG. Books like this one have the capacity to help others come to their own light, find some healing and expose some stuff that needs to be socially confronted.

Thanks Frank, it was a tough read for sure , but I couldn’t put it down.I will quickly passed it on to my 16 year old granddaughter when I see her in a couple weeks. [cheers.gif]

Frank, I read it last week and my sentiments mirror yours. It was not what I was expecting. I can’t imagine the crap that women have to deal with on a daily basis. I’m glad some of it is coming to light.

I read this a couple of months ago, not realizing there was this thread about it. Thought it was very good. Recommended. Hard to imagine returning to Marea after reading about her experiences there.

I asked others about it on the NYC dining thread in connection with Marea, but no one responded.

Obviously everyone’s perspective can be different, especially when it comes to family matters, but I gotta say, her review is pretty startling.

This sounds like it has some parallels to Cork Dork which I am currently reading.
Fascinating read and I am learning lots.