Which 1980 wine? (Pichon Lalande or Guigal Hermitage)

I am torn between which one to buy. Seems like both have had good showings of late. I am leaning towards
the PL simply because of my love for PL.
Any thoughts? Well, besides BUT BOTH (which would make the most sense.)
Thank you in advance!

I’m a big fan of the vintage for both rhone and burgundy. Never had the PL. I’d go guigal.

I would go with the Guigal—and, indeed, have recently bought some La Mouline 1980, so put my money where my mouth is. Inherently 1980 was better in the Northern Rhône than in Bordeaux, and this was also still the glory days of Guigal. The fact that it’s a lighter vintage just means the wines are actually ready.

Guigal Hermitage from that era (and older) are great wines. Would be an easy decision for me.

OK! Thanks all!

Guigal !
I did not taste the Hermitage, but the Cote-Rotie 1980 was still very nice last year, and Hermitage should be stronger.
1980 Bordeaux are disapointing thru and thru - cannot imagine PL being better.

1980 was not an especially good vintage in Bordeaux. The few wines that I had from the vintage (all years ago) seemed like early drinkers that had nice flavors but not a lot of concentration. I would be amazed if any of them survived to still be good at 40 years old. But, you have me curious. I would selfishly love for you to open the PL and report back and tell us if it is still alive.

Early 80s Guigal Hermitages are nice wines, though I’ve never found them to be overly complex. That said, they’re better than any 1980 Bordeaux I’ve ever had.

The last 1980 Bordeaux I´ve tastes was Lanessan - about 4 years ago - drinkable but had seen better days. #
1980 Las Cases, Cos d´Estournel, Rausan-Segla and a few others were quite disapointing, Pape-Clement was horrible.
The best 1980 Bordeaux for me was Petrus - about 15 years ago - very good, almost outstanding but not worth the price (of roughly 500 € then).
The best reds from vintage 1980 were from Burgundy and Rhone valley - and there were quite a few excellent ones.