TN: 2006 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Old Vines Summa

• 2006 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Old Vines Summa - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/7/2020)
    Cellared since release, open in bottle for an hour, lost the tip of the cork in bottle. Little cloudy, translucent crancherry, slight rust rim color…GORGEOUS nose of dusty smoked cherry, sandalwood spice, licorice…mixed in with some sous bois, stem funk, and pretty dried rose petals. The fruit is still quite fresh and ripe…tarted up nicely with some sour cherry, raspberry, wild strawberry…and a rhubarb dryness…silky smooth, yet with a nice snap of acidity and exotic spice(xmas, forest, sassafras,dried orange). As with the 06 Summa that I had in Jan…the perfume florals, dried fruits, and candied spices are intoxicating! Very similar to that Summa…but the OV has a little more finesse and elegance to it. Just LOVE the Chambolle-esk crushed red fruit brightness, and the exotics of the florals and spices. Finishes as did the Summa…refreshingly tart and spicy…more about the earth and mineral salinity, than ripe sweet fruit. As good as it gets for me! (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

As good as it gets for me!

followed by:

(97 pts.)

[scratch.gif]

It was drinking pretty good today I agree. Tonight it showed more spice notes than this afternoon. Really enjoyed this one for sure

Sorry, I’m confused as to why you’re confused. Are you saying 97 points is not an appropriate score when referencing a wine being about as good as it gets?

Side note, great TN as always Buzz. Almost
Makes me want to start drinking more pinot!

I’d speculate he was thinking “as good as it gets” would align with 100 points.

I mean…I guess! But it’s not like he gave it an 89 or something!! 97 is a pretty strong score…even for Buzz :wink: