TNs--(weekly) Wines in Isolation

I’ll append this thread as I make any inroads into my cellar (almost all of which is here with me in the condo) as self-isolation measures continue. I remain very ambivalent about drinking alone—that’s what the single malts are for!—but have been spurred on by what has become a weekly zoom virtual tasting led by BBers Peter Papay and Dylan Provencher.

2017 Meo Camuzet Bourgogne Clos St. Philibert

I have the 14 and 15 of this too, and so far I think I like this iteration the best. Real freshness but also expressiveness with definite sweet lime centre and licks of apple peel on the outside. Have 5 more to chart, but very happy with this.

2001 Chateau De Malle

Absolutely the most fascinating Sauternes I think I’ve ever had. Out of a full and I’m still tracking it 5 days later, when it is at last, perhaps, beginning to lose steam. Out of the gate, aromas of honeyed oats and grains and such. That gives way to, truly, the brulee part of crème brulee. Never had one with this much emphasis on baked before. Yet there is still that 2001 acid touch to it. I’ll also say this checked in at 14.5%. Well, comes 2 days later, and its frickin’ grand marnier. The orange flavor has taken completely over with some smidgeing of apricots and caramel in the background. Blind? Might’ve guessed a Tokaji or even a SGN. Truly fascinating.

Update this week was a 2014 Stratus Vineyards Petit Verdot from Ontario. I have to admit, the first sip was probably the best, with a real nice mix of blackcurrant, pepper, sage and rosemary. But after that, a spike of heat hits you at the front of the back of the throat with each swallow. Bottle says 14.5%—I think it’s probably closer to 15.1. Haven’t loved this vintage for reds in the past, and this doesn’t do anything to change that outlook…plus the wine tastes like it might have had some acid added…not sure about that. With air time over a couple of days it does soften. Just wish it had more balance to highlight the good flavor profile.

I went to Rosehall Run last year (partner’s family is from PEC) and after explaining how much I enjoyed their Stardust cuvee their tasting room employee was excited to have a “wine guy” around and thrust a glass of their Petit Verdot - which I had no idea they made - my way. My first thought was “that’s interesting”, and then my next thought was “…why in Ontario, though?”

Oh well!

LOL. Because it’s something to try? Their pinot, by the way, quite impressed me, Sean. I do have a bottle of that sleeping away. I’m pretty sure I sampled the PV too–same kind of serving experience–and I’m pretty sure my reaction mirrored yours.

The one place that I think has a chance to do something at least interesting enough to be worth a look is Foreign Affair because of the appassimento.

Mike.
We should put together a little Zoom tasting in the coming days. It would be fun. Nice notes.

Glad you joined us yesterday, Don!

2017 Kutch Sonoma Coast Chard

Plenty of activity here, with lemon balm and small kick of ginger. The oak is present, but not overt in any way, promising instead more structure with a year or two more cellar time. Jamie’s typical sharply-defined feel in the mouth. Good, will try leftovers tonight to track it.

Let me know the next time you do a Zoom tasting, sounds like fun.

Mike. It was super fun. Some very cool people from Toronto. I tasted a 2017 Henri Prudhon St Aubin Les Chatenieres that was outstanding! Very interesting to hear the story from Heather about the 3 Sisters Cab Franc Sparkler from Canada. It sounded delicious.

Sure thing, Mike, I’ll get an admittance slip for you :slight_smile:

Didn’t retaste the Kutch until today. If anything, all my notes above are intensified, with binned apple core now added. Promises a longer life than I might have originally thought.