Recent TNs (Clerget, Hudelot, Fourrier, Chevillon, Gimmonnet, Beaucastel, Argyros)

2015 Clerget Clos de Versueil
Coiled and tense with a hint of oak that was integrating well. Not quite as intense as the 16 but had good power, complexity and length.

2016 Hudelot Noellat Bourgogne Rouge
Lovely as always, medium bodied, transparent, very easy to drink.

2017 Fourrier Gevrey VV
Wide open with crunchy red fruits. Beautiful nose and very smooth.

2017 Hudelot Noellat Bourgogne Rouge
I actually liked this a bit more than the 16 at this time which is good because I bought 3 cases; not sure how it’ll develop in time but this is beautiful now. A bit more fresh and juicy than the 16.

2016 Chevillon Nuits VV
This bottle was a bit lighter bodied than the last I opened but still delicious. Darker fruits and good acidity.

2018 Argyros Atlantis
One of the best summer whites. Crisp and way too easy to drink. Blink and the bottle is gone.

2008 Gimmonnet Millesime

Not as nice as the last bottle but nice acidity and fine mousse. A bit more vinous than the last time I had it.

2017 Beaucastel CdP

Again very lovely and fruit driven, primary, but screams cdp. A bit wilder because of the higher mourvedre contentz

Thanks for the notes. I have not been drinking many 2015s lately, but your note raises as interesting question. Are they closing up?

As for 2016s, when I visited at Hudelot-Noellat in the summer of 2018, where we tasted his very promising 2017s, Charles said to me that he thought that his 2016s would prove to be the best wines he had made at that time. But, 2017s are very tasty right now.

I have found I prefer the Hudelot-Noellat 17s to the 16s based on what I have tasted so far.

Thanks for the notes, Michael, we seem to have similar tastes and a number of bottles in common so I appreciate the data points.

I’ve drank a decent chunk of 15s lately and generally I think the answer is probably no, at least from the mostly village wines I’ve drank with an occasional premier cru. I haven’t opened anything big, though. 16s have felt more shut down, in many cases. 17 is probably the vintage to open for current drinking.

Digioia royer 17 fremieres on deck for tonight

I do also for drinking right now. Let us revisit in 10 years.

Michael. Thanks for the note on the Clerget. I have some of the 16.

Don,

I have tasted one wine of his from 2015, visited him in 2018 and tasted from barrel his range of 2017s; and tasted his 2016s and 2017s at Paulees. He is a very young man, but IMHO is someone to watch in Burgundy. Quite a background before he took over his family’s estate at a very young age. https://www.thisyoungwino.com/blog/2018/2/9/the-millennial-vigneron-thibaud-clerget

I got some 17 Clerget in recently, maybe I’ll open one. I’m glad I’ve put away a lot of clerget. It and Rossignol are the biggest holdings in my cellar for burgs.

17 beaucastel was tremendous again

Beaucastel sounds delish, just how I like it!

Had a 17 Clerget Mitans last week and I continue to not be a huge fan, though I do like his Caillerets. I find his and Rossignol’s wines have a very particular paint thinner/Robitussin note that I really don’t like, so am not surprised at the divergence of views there.

I think the Hudelot-Noellat 16s are spectacular and I went very deep, and the 17s are tasty now, but the 16s will have a ton of staying power.

Have you had the versueil?

I just grabbed some 12 hudelot vougeot and have some 16 as well.

Yeah, I’ve had the Verseueil and am not a fan. The 16 Hudelot-Noellat Suchots is fantastic.

Back to the 16 vs the 17 HN Bourgognes conversation, the experiences posted here mirror what I saw when looking at 16 vs 17 Henri Gouges Bourgognes roughly 6 weeks ago. Both were excellent with the 16 more structured and reserved while the 17 was light footed, pretty, and absolutely delicious.

I opened another 17 hn Bourgogne last night and it was fantastic.