TNs: 2015 Pepiere Sur Lie Gorges & 2015 Pieropan Classico Calvarino

Hunkered down at home, but we’ve some beautiful weather the past few nights that was perfect for dining al fresco with terrific wines. Pepiere and Pieropan belong in any discussion of wines that are exemplars of a style and great value wines.

• 2015 Pieropan Soave Classico Calvarino - Italy, Veneto, Soave Classico (4/5/2020)
    These wines are so damn appealing, and just crushable while dining al fresco on a beautiful evening. There is melon and citrus on the nose. The palate shows round, juicy white fruit buffered by a rocky, steel coolness and an overall elegance. Almost Chablis-like, with lots of nervy edge.
  • 2015 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Gorges - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (4/3/2020)
    I swear I am going to decant this thing like 2 hours next time as once again it was closed up aromatically on opening and showed very cool and structured on the palate. But you must be patient. With time you can coax out an electric mineral and saline streak that is bounded by juicy peach and and melon citrus flavors. It becomes so giving and shows some of the lees aging with a bready-hazelnut finish. Terrific wine that goes through a kaleidascope of changes as it evolves. Great with takeout Fred Chuggin fried chicken from Kimball House. Screaming value around $25.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for posting these notes, these are two of my go two white wines.

Can’t go wrong here! [cheers.gif]

+1

Thanks for the notes, I love Soave.

On the Pepiere, how would you compare the Gorges to the Briords? I’ve only had the later.

I am fairly new to drinking them with any regularity, not a producer I used to follow. In somewhat limited experience, I would say the Gorges has more complexity, density and structure and a more clear path for aging. Others may have more thoughts. Thanks.