TN: 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Richard's Cuvee Whistling Ridge Vineyard

2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Richard’s Cuvee Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (4/3/2020)
Birthday dinner warm up with some delicious cheese, olive tapenade and sun-dried tomato tapenade. Pouring into the glass this appears pure and clear, like spring water. It takes on some light straw color in the glass but I was taken aback by how light this appeared at first. Ron’s description is spot on for me with good acidity, lemon zest, slate and excellent salinity. I’m not getting the matchstick but will keep searching for it on future bottles. This smoothed out by the second pour, taking on a little lemony sweetness, another characteristic of these wines I’ve found. The wine really shined with a soft Époisses-like washed rind cheese from MouCo called ColoRouge, not as stinky and pungent as a French Époisses but similar. The wine’s acidity cut through the creaminess, and the aged fermentation of the cheese really brought out the acidity and salinity in the Chardonnay. Will try with the real French Époisses next time! (93 pts.)

Below is the spread. Cheeses are (L->R):
Kerrygold Reserve Cheddar
MouCo ColoRouge
Gabietou

Marcus crushed it in 2017, especially with the Richard’s Cuvee Chardonnay.

Philip,

Thanks for sharing your note.

Preston, I would agree, but I might just say he crushed it in '17 full stop.