Immediate Consumption - 2015 or 2016 Jamet?

A local restaurant is selling Jamet for reasonable prices. They have both 2015 and 2016 vintages. Which one is drink better at this point?

Paul

from my most recent try - 2016 is super shut down and closed, 15 is more open.

Thanks Charlie.

Paul

1991 was in a perfect drinking window last month. These wines take time.

1991 is one of the greatest of all time Cote Roties.

Love this post. Just grab the 91 off that menu!

Kidding aside, a definite great. An all-time Rhône great, very insider geeky now. Wish I had grabbed more 98 and 99 as well. The 2015 vintage will never been any of those.

Are Jamets still worthy of getting given the price and change in style?

not for me. I quit buying after 2013.

And for me, immediate consumption of a Jamet just gets me grape juice, or undifferentiated “Syrah” character. It’s only with age that it becomes something special.

yes

Starting to learn about N Rhône’s so a newbie question- has the style and ageability changed or just the price (we can certainly put it on the list of “wines that used to be $30” I am sure)

FWIW I find the cost to backfill from the '00s is preferable to buying new

Can someone say more about how the style has changed post 2013?

Mike

Did I miss a memo on the change of Jamet style? I only have tasting experience back to the 1999 vintage (and up to 2015 from barrel), but no change in style that I have observed.

Paul

Wouldn’t buy either to drink tonight, but if you were looking for that 40th birthday party in 10 years then go for it.

John

One advantage of being a winemaker is appreciating younger wines. It is all the barrel tasting and sampling young wines on those sales trips, trade tastings, etc.

Paul

Was recently told that wineries don’t release their wines if they’re not ready to drink. I had to chuckle…

The conversation was about this very wine.

Paul–I totally missed your signature. Yes winemakers (and to a certain extent wine writers and retailers) have a different take on wines palate-wise than the rest of us for the reasons you list. We have two winemakers and a retailer in our long standing tasting group, and they are very happy to pop and pour, and happy to go after newly released wines. Drives the rest of us crazy, but I get it. So, go for it!