Sojourn Cellars

I notice that there is not much discussion here about Sojourn Cellars. I’ve been picking up more and more from them, including the last two Berserker Days. I’m really loving their Pinot Noirs and Zoomed in to their virtual tasting this week for their '18 Gaps Crown and Sangiacomo PNs. These were very tasty, especially the Sangiacomo, which really stood out for me as being fresh, creamy, with a great mouthfeel. They’re in some ways similar to Rivers-Marie and a good $10-$20 cheaper. Great quality IMO.

Their Cabs are also good quality and value although I’ve not been as big a fan of their entry level Oakville Cabernet. The Oakville Ranch is very good and the Georges III comes in at a pretty good price for a Beckstoffer.

They’re also super friendly and helpful by email and phone. We have (had?) plans to visit them this summer and their hospitality gal has been helping out tremendously with other places to go and places to eat.

So, just wanted to throw a shout out to what seems to me a top notch operation that doesn’t get a lot of posts. What are others experiences/opinions?

Cheers [cheers.gif]

I love Sojourn and buy every year. They are second behind Carlisle for most bottles in my collection. I agree that their customer service is excellent.

I really like their sonoma coast pinots. Gaps crown is my favorite, with sangiacomo coming in close second, and for me the sonoma coast blend is the best pinot QPR out there. I do buy the RRV but to a smaller extent.

The Rodgers Creek PN is absolutely fantastic (albeit probably the least like R-M).

Love the cabs as well.

These guys are super generous. For a decade now, they have consistently donated wine to Falltacular, which is our annual wine charity event to raise funds for our local domestic violence shelter. I mostly have been working with Sherrie these past several years but I know Craig is behind the support, too. This is a winery that gives back to the community and people that are its customers, and for that reason I applaud these guys and appreciate those folks who support Sojourn in return.

Completely agree about Sojourn. I only have seven bottles in my wine Hall of Fame, one of which is a 2009 Sojourn Ridgetop Vineyard PN that we drank in November 2015. If you are into it, some of their Chards (Gap’s Crown and Durrell come to mind) are worth trying too…and IMO offer a great QPR!

Yes, their Chards are among my go-to whites.

FM3 they have also been very generous in the past for a fundraiser I work with in Denver.

I agree - great and generous winery.

I still have to chuckle at the ‘95+ Points’ sign they would also hang above their table at Pinot Days . . . but that’s Craig for you [wow.gif] [snort.gif] [tease.gif]

Cheers

Ridgetop doesn’t get the love… it’s great. I loved the 09 and the '10 might be better.

Another fan here… Sojourn is possibly my wife’s favorite producer. The Sangiocomo and Gaps Crown Pinots are both annual purchases. We’ve been to the tasting room in Sonoma a couple times. Worth the trip.

PSA: WTSO has Sojourn’s 2018 Rose for $14.99 in the “Last Chance” section. I just grabbed a couple.

Ironically, I was supposed to be at a Sojourn event tonight in Chicago. I agree with Matt, the Sangiacamo and Gap’s are obvious buys.

Had no idea he made a rosé. Also didn’t know about the Zoom for Gap’s. [swearing.gif]

There’s another Zoom April 8th for '18 Walala and Rodgers Creek. You could probably contact them to get the sign up link.

I am very much a fan. Particularly of the Sangiacomo and Walala pinots. Certainly in my top Cali pinot makers.

And, if memory serves, I was prompted to visit their tasting room by the Brian Tuite visiting Sonoma thread that is pinned at the top of the Wine Talk page. That compilation of info is really a treasure.

Love the Walala, Ridgetop and Gaps Pinot. We’ve been buying for a few years now. After a couple of trips to their tasting room, we quickly branched out into the Cabs and Chards too. I don’t think you could go wrong with any of their wines. Cheers!

So I’ve been doing Zoom all evening. Started with a 2014 Gap’s, ended with the 2018. The 2018 is REALLY nice.

Paul, have you tried the '18 Sangiacomo? That is totally drinkable right now. Might have to pick up a few more if they are still available.

Great winery and people. Craig and the team are great. The mouthfeel on the pinot’s are awesome. Great reminder for me.
Cheers

PSA: WTSO has Sojourn’s 2018 Rose for $14.99 in the “Last Chance” section. I just grabbed a couple.

Have you tried one yet?

lol, yep, I always got a chuckle out of that too! Of course, that wasn’t nearly as bad as the roaming “booth babes” of certain other Pinot producer :wink:

1 Like