Cruse Tradition release

Release email came through this morning!

I am wishing you and your loved ones the best of health. While on lockdown, we’re working as safely as we can and are excited to share this new release with you.

From the beginning, I knew that I wanted to make a wine like Cruse Tradition. A wine that is delicious and engaging and spoke of California terroir through the lens of bubbles in the same way that Monkey Jacket does through the lens of Valdiguié. This is not a copy of a large house Champagne. It is rich and has fruit and speaks of California sunshine, but still with plenty of pep and acidity. There is a pedigree to the mousse, rich and fine, with a long finish of citrus and pear and tarte.

The nerd breakdown: this release is based on the 2017 vintage but with 6% perpetual cuvée added – those big Stockinger casks that occasionally appear on Instagram. It’s close to 50/50 Pinot Noir and Chardonnay and went through élevage without any SO2 additions so there is a slight oxidative bent. We’re very proud of the vineyards we work with, in this case Alder Springs, Keefer Ranch, Rorick Vineyards, and a tiny bit of fruit from Charlie Heintz. It was fermented in a combination of tanks and barrels and disgorged by hand à la volée without dosage.

We’re doing this release slightly differently than in the past. We’re offering 15% off Monkey Jacket and penny shipping for 6-bottle orders. If you would like more wine than is offered, please feel free to reach out. We will also keep the shop open in case you are interested in more down the line.

Times are tough for many of our neighbors and friends so we’ll be donating 10% of our April direct sales to Meals on Wheels San Francisco and Frontline Foods. It won’t be huge, but nothing wrong with spreading some of this love and amazing support around.

Wishing you and your family the best of health and thank you for your support.

Cheers,
Michael and the Team

Oh … if I had not been laid off, this would be getting an order (as would several other favorite winemakers!) Cruse sparklers always make me so happy!

Snagged a few of each. All about em