Your thoughts on Morey 1er Cru's

Among the villages in Burgundy I understand/ have explored Morey the least. Even among the media coverage, the focus is on the Grand Crus (which is still light compared to the other Grand Crus).

The 1er crus that get the most attention seem to be Roumier’s monopole Clos de la bussiere and Clos Sorbe where Jouan and Fourrier make some delicious wines. I quite like Les Chaffots by Lignier much more than his 1er Cru blend.

Any other premier cru worth exploring?

I am not a Burgundy drinker so I had to pull up the Cellartracker report by region to see what I had. Of 42 bottles of Burgundy, 38 are Beaujolais. It does appear that I have 2 Morey wines, both a former forumite’s ill fated attempt at making French wine. One of each of his 2010’s: a Mont-Luisants and a Les Chaffots. I have not tried either and hope they both drink well someday. I just realized these are a decade old now, where did the past 10 years go?

MSD is probably my favorite a Burgundy village because of the wonderful producers there like Truchot, Dujac, Lignier, Lambreys, Tremblay, Amiot, Jouan, etc.

In addition to the vineyards you mention, I have had wonderful wines from Blanchard, Clos Sorbe, Millandes and Ruchots. Tremblay’ Tre Girard is an excellent village wine that is priced like a premier cru.

Have been buying Marchand Tawse Millandes since the '13 vintage. Just across the road from CSD. While still typical MSD darker profile, it is generally cool, elegant and earthy. I believe Pascal usually uses 25% whole cluster.
Pretty big vineyard. Lots of other producers including Magnien(M) & Arlaud.

A lot of the MSD 1ers are really small, which is why you see blends. The Lignier and Dujac 1er blends may be the best 1ers in the village. Of single vineyards, I’ve always like Chaffots, but I haven’t tasted widely enough across individual Morey 1ers to have a firm view.

I’ve had Jouan’s Sorbe and to me it exemplified Morey. A 2012 Chaffots from Giroud was gorgeous a couple weeks ago:

"2012 Camille Giroud MSD Les Chaffots

I decanted this for 4 hours. It is really glowing tonight. Just layers of silk and substance all at the same time. Super-pretty raspberry fruit and even some rose petal action in the nuzzie. Cherries and lightest chestnut slip into the palate and the feel is round, firm and long. WOTN for me and I think the table was more or less in accord. I was super-pleased with this showing, sadly my only bottle."

I also tend to love Taupenot-Merme’s La Riotte, a super-consistent high-quality bottling for me.

Haven’t tried a Blanchards yet, though Howard has been after me :wink: I don’t think a single bottle from that vineyard has ever shown its face in the LCBO.

I’ve had one really nice Clos de la Bussiere (surprisingly a 2009) and two 96s that were both hard as nails.

Mark–try both of those. I was decently happy with both of 'em when opened (probably 2-3 years ago now), I definitely wouldn’t keep them much longer. Notes from about 3 years ago:

"2010 Maison Ilan Morey St. Denis Les Monts Luisants

Many of this group had not had Ray’s wine yet, so I wanted to try this one, which is also my own first 2010 from bottle in a long time. Some swirling gets strawberry, herbs and some potpourri. And this has pleasant balance, traces of berry sweetness and some flow. It is a 2010 child, but it is also rather a mild wine with what I would consider to be a definite ceiling. Nothing wrong at all with it, just not getting a ton of character or promise of that.

To be clear, Arlaud and a number of other excellent producers like Roumier make wines from MSD vineyards but are not located there. I believe the producers I listed are located in MSD.

I am a big fan of Faconnières

The growers in Morey have just paid for a geological survey of their vineyards, but the results aren’t out yet

nice to have you here!

what is the general purpose of this survey? sounds interesting.

Hi Howard, I was referring to Millandes bottlings in particular, not so much who has their domaine in MSD. Of those, Dujac is at the top for me.

Thanks for joining in the discussion Jasper. Any producers you care to mention. I have some recent bottlings from Marchand Freres but have yet to open one.

MTIA

Faconnieres is a signature bottling of Lignier-Michelot and the larger portion of the H Lignier MSD 1er VV (which is probably the best wine of that appellation).

I’ve tried a few scattered 1ers from Morey, none of the big dollar ones like Truchot or Roumier, and I actually prefer Dujac’s village MSD to any of them.

Me too. Both Stéphane Magnien and Lignier Michelot are very fine in 2005 and 2010.

Clos des Ormes is a very nice vineyard; I love the tawse bottlings.

Subu,

Nice thread.

Have a bunch of Lignier-Michelot Faconnieres ranging from 2005 to 2010 but have not cracked any yet. This thread has suddenly made it far easier to do so.

Also have a bit of 08 Ponsot Alouettes but have been holding off those as well.

Time to do research.

Cheers,
Doug

The survey is a geological one carried out by the excellent Francoise Vannier and her colleagues. Lots of holes in the ground to see what’s really happening below the surface

For me, I still don’t really process Truchot as a high dollar one as the wines were pretty reasonably priced when he made them and I purchased them. You certainly are correct today.

This is good discussion, helps to learn more about a village that doesn’t get enough attention, especially given the plethora of good producers. Is one right to group vineyards such as close de la bussiere, clos sorbe, Blanchard, Ruchots into linear, purer wines; and those vineyards such as clos de ormes, Faconnieres into denser, richer wines?

I suppose les chaffots, Mont Luisants are more mineral compared to those vineyards down the slope.

The only thought I really have on this is based on the few times I have tasted a range of Truchot’s wines together in an organized way - did this for 2000-2002 vintages. The Clos Sorbe seems to me to be pure MSD. His Ruchots tasted to me like a cross between his Clos Sorbe and his Chambolle Musigny Sentiers.