Monte Bello 2017 ( yeah I know)

As one of the iconic wines in the world, the Ridge is a wine that I have read about for years. I joined the club to get some a few years ago and just received my shipment of four 375ml bottles this week. I planned to hold them all when ordered but with things as they are, I decided to crack one to get an idea of what I had. And everything I have read about it seems correct, this stuff wants lots of time. Everything that makes a great wine is here but in parts. I can’t write a tasting note but impressions. It is a couture wine vs a ready to wear. Great structure, fruit and tannin but all separate. Ten years and it should be closer and you can see where it is going but I ain’t got that kinda time. I will shove other bottles in the “get lost” corner of my cellar and maybe get an older bottle to try but I wont be getting anymore new releases. Gonna stick with ready drink sooner wines.

I had seen others here indicate in the past that Monte Bello was actually good to go upon receipt, after which it would then shut down and need to sleep for a while. We opened a 750 yesterday of the 2017 and found it to be quite good indeed. The Mrs. found it to remind her of the goodness of eating a plum, without any of the bitterness of the plum skin getting in the way. Not obviously tannic or oaky at all, but well balanced instead. We had a similarly good experience opening a 2016 last year when we received it.

When I get mine I forget about them for 10 years before I even think about trying.

I bought more of the '17 than I really need and was thinking of popping one early. I think I’ll wait - I’ve got more well aged MBs than I really need too!

When I’ve gone to the tasting room, the Monte Bello is usually quite good upon release. I generally wait at least 10 to 15 years to open one, but I’ve never been disappointed when I’ve tasted it very young.

Will be visiting my locker this week to move my MB shipment from package to locker… awfully tempting to take one home for an early peak.

I’m seeing some very favorable early reviews on CT for the 2016…

I opened a 2007 in 2017 and for my tastes it was still too early.

Yes, they usually drink well from pre-release (now - futures customer release) for maybe a year. Then they shut down hard. The tannins will show up.

Being a local, I have the luxury of tasting barrel samples, then pre-release, then as the current release (later in the year). No need to pop my own. There are plenty of other customers around, that some will share bottles younger than I open mine - and various events where semi-mature bottles are opened.