TN: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett

• 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/28/2020)
    Slate, kaffir lime leaves, asian pear and floral on the nose. A fantastic nose of Middle Mosel blue slate.On the palate, this is laser sharp and clean with the RS fading some behind the brilliant slate, florals, and acid. Light weighted with a gracefulness and lift that is rare today. I really like Salil’s choice of the term intensity. Intensity without any weight. With time the floral and mineral inflected notes come to the fore, with the RS and fruit playing a beautiful backup role. To steal a term a true soil to glass transfer wine. Like licking blue slate. An effortlessly beautiful wine without artifice. Drunk with pork Milanese and a fennel salad, it was honestly one of the best wine pairings I have experienced in a year or more. Drinking at peak with tons of time in hand. Fantastic kabinett. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nicely done. Still have a small handful of these. Tempted to just let them rest, and see what they are like at age 30.

Trying desperately not to open an '09 Auslese, but may end up failing. Cheers for the note.

I also have a few of these left and they are among the best wines I ever bought. I am lucky I started collecting shortly before the 2001 vintage and was steered toward Prum then.

I have a very strong memory of smelling this wine for the first time.

At that point in my tasting career, it was a little too powerful for me [I was more attracted to the cleanliness of Christoffel & Selbach-Oster], but a few months later, I had a chance to try Manfred Prum’s WS & GH spaetlesen from the same vintage, and then the lightbulb went off in my head.

Upon first opening, is the Kabinett still as odoriferous as it once was?

Fortunately, most of my 01 Prum is in very cold storage 200 miles from home… so I will rest assured that these wines will only get better…even if this lockdown lets up!

Smart man to let that wine age and mature.