Earthquake protection—something easy

rubber bands are from Dykema Rubber Band Co. size 106. thebestrubberbands@yahoo.com. No affiliation. This helps bottles that are racked and is an easy solution.

Nice!

Great idea!
I have most of my wines in individual bottle custom racking with guards to prevent them from slipping out, but I also have a fair amount in custom floor to ceiling bins.

I wonder if there was a way to use rubber bands to protect bottles in wine bins (these are the ones that fit 12 Bordeaux bottles or 11 Burgundy bottles). There are no vertical posts to run them behind. One could secure bottles to each other, use longer rubber bands to connect multiple bottles to each other or interconnect all the bottles in each bin…but then might one risk an earthquake leading to entire bins of wine slipping out rather than some bottles in each bin? Not sure. I suppose one could nail up multiple anchors for rubber bands into the edges of the bins, but this would deface the bins and be tedious.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Alan,
Just noted in your wine cellar construction thread that you have some bins as well.
Have you come up with an earthquake protection idea for those bottles as well?

Indeed!

One caution - be sure to replace them every few years. I find rubber bands tend to get brittle over time . . . no idea how long it will take (could be a decade).

That is how we secure crew members into their pipe berths, on long-distance races.

my bins are angled back 5 degrees, likely not enough for a major temblor. Could lay rubber sheeting on the bins and between the bottles to increase friction. I bought some netting but haven’t covered bin face w it yet.

Yes, thin rubber or silicone sheeting under and between would be a good idea to reduce slippage.
Let me know if you find a good and relatively cost effective source for that.
I have also thought of buying the most cushioned pads for the floor from ULine, but it would cover your beautiful floors…less so for my cement floors…but the later bottles would probably break when falling on the first bottles to fall.

finally you unpack your wine but we can’t get together to drink it!

totally sucks indeed.

Um, Alan…
404.JPG