ZOOM: Virtual wine dinner with Boston & Philly friends

11 of us from the Boston and Philly areas (we are all former Philistines), one of whom had recently recovered from COVID-19, got together for a 3 hour virtual wine dinner last night via Zoom.

[One of us has a paid account, otherwise a free video conference with 3 or more attendees can only last for 40 minutes.]

It was actually a lot of fun…everyone opened 1 or 2 bottles of wine, some ordered delivery from our favorite Philly BYOB restaurants and some cooked (one of us even cooked their first ever loaf of bread live).

A great stress reliever in the time of coronavirus! [cheers.gif]

Wines:
~2008 Agrapart Champagne Grand Cru Vénus
~2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
~2018 Weingut Salomon Undhof Riesling Von den Terrassen
~2005 Azienda Virna Di Borgogno Barolo Cannubi Boschis
~2007 Vietti Barolo Brunate
~2008 Ridge Monte Bello
~2010 Rene Rostaing Côte-Rôtie La Landonne
~2010 Domaine Robert Arnoux / Arnoux-Lachaux Nuits St. Georges Les Poisets
~2012 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape
~2014 Colene Clemens Pinot Noir Max
~2015 Il Poggione (Proprietá Franceschi) Brunello di Montalcino

I came up with a new cooking technique to prepare chicken roasted over smashed baby gold potatoes, with carrot puree…which was really good, especially the smashed potatoes that were crispy from roasting in the chicken fat dripping down.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Potatoes look good! Cooked a loaf of bread online? I baked one yesterday but it’s usually a two day affair for me. Proofing overnight, then shaping and proofing again, then baking. Must have been time-lapse!

Anyway, good work around and nice wines. [cheers.gif]

You are well above the average age of a Redditor :slight_smile:. Didn’t expect to see this content here!

Hey Kevin, are any of the others fellow berserkers?
*Love the decanter stopper

A few of them, on occasion.

The wine glass as a stopper was something I saw a couple of weeks ago at Le Vin en Bouche, a cool little wine bar/wine shop in Paris (just got back here before things collapsed over there). The owner Vincent, an ex-sommelier, claimed that you should let the aroma accumulate in the glass and then you can enjoy it. It does seem to work lol, but mostly it just looks cool (and keeps the flies out).

How was the Poggione? I have a few bottles of the 2010 that I’m wanting to try but am thinking they are still too young.

It was showing fantastically as far as I could see over Zoom! [wow.gif]

So Dave Mosko was camera shy? I met him at several tastings that Harry Cantrell organized when I lived in the Philly area. Hope he is doing well!

Camera wasn’t operational. [oops.gif]

Okay, I thought maybe there were shared tasting notes, discussion of the wines.

This is the Cornoapocalypse…who has time to discuss wine? [rofl.gif]

Hi Kevin sounds great and hope all is well. I figured from the lineup before even seeing the pics that you did the Monte Bello!! Hey that chicken and potato setup looks great, nicely done. Have done a couple zoom tastings and it beats the alternative of no tastings!!! Be well

Hey Greg, I do own a European wine or two too! At least I think I do…

champagne.gif